The Tale of the Transition: Romeo y Julieta Cazadores

The aging characteristics  of many cigars are talked about but seldom is that cigar the Romeo y Julieta Cazadores. 

ON BR there is one currently from 2009. 

What is your experience of the "Tale of the Transition" for the Romeo y Julieta Cazadores?

In your experience do they age well? Do they have a sweet spot? The oldest one you have smoked? What should the buyer of this box expect?

Let's kick around the topic of aged Cazzies :cigar:

I haven’t smoked many but the ones that I did weren’t over 2-3 yrs old. The last one I had I thought was very strong. Every time I see them on 24 I am tempted to grab a box to age.
Would like to hear what others say. You just don’t see many people talk about them or smoke them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like the cigar at all. No nuanced flavor, just in your face strong. Not for me. I'll take an Ex #4  or PC and call it a day. 

My local friends and I love the Cazzies. Haven’t smoked to many aged ones but I’m trying to build up a stock of them so I can age some.

The one box I was aging was just pulled out to give to a friend because he was flat out of sticks. Have another on the way.

Hmmm!  is ageing these cigars the point of their blend?.   I know we are all the masters of our humidors and we can do with our cigars as we please,   but I don't really see the purpose of ageing Cazzies.  I don't get any air of evolution from them in their first 2-3 years, its just burnt jammy sweetness, charcoal, leather, from tip to toe. 

Maybe i'm missing a trick, but I think young and hostile, is the way to enjoy these. 

• Like 2

I'd agree with @99call in that I don't think these are designed for aging. They're strong and ballsy, it's what they do. Aging to tease out a few elements of nuance doesn't seem right somehow. I do enjoy them immensely and a year or two in to start a box is my way. Then they last as long as the camping trips keep going on. Early morning, industrial strength coffee made on the fire and a Cazzie is a real kick start to any day in the great outdoors.

Sent from Cosmos Redshift 7

• Like 3

It had been a lonnnnng time since I smoked a Cazzie, but last night I fired one up LAE OCT10. Yes they do age well to me. When young they had become to strong for me. I love fruity tobacco but during R&J’s toilet years the Cazzie was the one cigar I still got that deep cherry flavor from. I’m sure it has to do with my age, big strong powerhouse cigars are not real enjoyable anymore. Age didn’t make a big change in the flavor profile or body, but it sure smoothed out the nic kick making the cigar much more enjoyable for me. I would expect the 09 to be like last nights cigar, everything you expect in a Cazzie......only smoother.

Personally, I would take a box of aged Cazadores (5-10yo) over many other aged CCs. 

Its profile is gamey,  leathery, earthy, in-your-face when young. After a few years, from my personal experience, it transforms into an elegant cigar, with strong notes of coffee, leather - yet some kick to it.

It could just be that I really enjoy that flavour profile, but I do believe it is a very underrated cigar. Just like the HU Connie 1 was a 8-10 years ago, or more recently the PLPC. 

• Like 2

Agree with those who say they age well.  Nearing the end of a 2014 box purchased from Rob back then, so I have enjoyed them infrequently but progressively up to the present. Wild and woolly to start and for the first two or three years, then they smoothed out and, contrary to popular belief, there is, in fact, some nuance to them now.  And they're a Lonsdale.

When I sorted smoking CC's I remember learning about these on FOB.... to age these 5 years with the foil wrapper unopened. I bought a box, buried it in my humidor and  and promptly forgot about them for 7 or 8 years. By the time I rediscovered these the box was 10 years old. I cracked them open and really enjoyed the unbanded cigar. I find these to be unique. I smoke these when I'm in the mood for power.... perfect after a steak dinner as it will stay up to anything.

I've never had a fresh one so I cannot speak to that.

I've only had one aged cazzie from 2010 last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cherry and leather really ahone through with nuanced sweetness and a nice twang.  I got the aged example from a buddy who heard me complain about a 2018 box I bought and didn't see much promise in. Young, I could barely taste anything other than re-lit cigar and charcoal. Really abrasive. Seems like an old school cuban that benefits immensely from a long nap. 

For the price of a box of Cazzies, I can buy a box of PSD4, RASS, Upmann Conn1 or just about any Petit corona that are 100X better than the RyJ. Surprised so many here like a horrible tasting harsh blend of a cigar. 

• Like 1

Personal faves of mine. Have a few from 2000 that seems to be tent pegs so I can't tell you what they smoke like.  ?. My oldest box is 2010, followed by 2012, 2014 and 2017. The 2010 I haven't cracked open yest. The 12's were powerhouse smokes when fresh but delicious.  Over time that bombast toned down and typical RyJ flavours were clearer.  

Older smokers tell me these are a good indicator of what Pre-Embargo cigars were like and that the blend has been consistent for decades.  If there's any truth to that I'll never know but it certainly is interesting. Given the lack of long and skinny cigars out there and how many overlook these, IMO they're a great stick to go deep on.  

These used to be so much less price-wise than the other ones named above 20 years ago. 

Definitely a stronger blend than your average Habanos, that’s by design.

Glad they’ve sort of stuck with that though they’re not as strong off the gate as they used to be. 

I enjoy younger ones (dry boxed) but find them great with a few years on them. 4-7 is a sweet spot