An Ode to the PerfecDraw

*I have "ended up" with the "Perfect Draw" poker at least three times in the last 18 years - and they have NEVER REMEDIED the plugged draw situation I'd experienced. Even with multiple draw throughs - no improvement in draw with smokes. Oh well...nice to know this thing works for SOMEBODY... :mellow:

• Like 1

It's my concealed carry on secret missions. One jab to the baddie's ear canal and he's done for. And it can still unplug my cigar as I watch the medics try to assess the situation. The latter is never enjoyable if encountering a plugged cigar.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

I'm relatively lucky in that I have a very low plug rate, so I haven't really had an interest in the perfect draw at that price point.  I've heard only good things about them though.  A month or so ago I did have a HLP Lancerco that  was completely plugged about an inch down from the cap.  I went over to my tool box and found a pack of new HSS 1/16" drill bits.  I spun the bit with my fingers right through the plug and it opened it up perfectly.  So for about $1 each, I keep one in all of my travel humidors and other places where I like to enjoy a cigar.

Aside from that, if I did buy the perfect draw It would likely soon be lost with all of my cutters and torches ?

I purchased mine about three months ago - and it has already saved me from throwing out four cigars which would have upset me greatly to toss.  Well worth the $30 USD, as well as a nice nubbing tool for when you're down to the end bits.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cigcars said:

*I have "ended up" with the "Perfect Draw" poker at least three times in the last 18 years - and they have NEVER REMEDIED the plugged draw situation I'd experienced. Even with multiple draw throughs - no improvement in draw with smokes. Oh well...nice to know this thing works for SOMEBODY... :mellow:

Hunh. You're actually the first person I've heard say it never worked for them. I wouldn't even try to smoke Cuban cigars if I didn't have one. I probably use it every 6th or 7th Cuban. Of the dozens I've used it on, it has made tight draws..."Perfec", and made impossible draws at least burnable. At least for me, it's a required accessory. I also love that it's a small business, the owner Rod is involved in various cigar communities, and they seem to really care about their product. I admire that. 

• Like 4

Has it really been around that long? Maybe you aren't using it correctly??

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, cigcars said:

*I have "ended up" with the "Perfect Draw" poker at least three times in the last 18 years

The PerfecDraw was only designed and built a few years ago. 2016 I believe. Rod @Cigar Fan 29, can you confirm this?

I would also speculate that you may be using the tool incorrectly. It must be utilized with proper technique. See Rod's tutorial video here: 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The PerfecDraw was only designed and built a few years ago. 2016 I believe. Rod @Cigar Fan 29, can you confirm this?

I would also speculate that you may be using the tool incorrectly. It must be utilized with proper technique. See Rod's tutorial video here: 

The Perfect Draw or contraption of the same thing I acquired some time in 1998 from the local tobacconists catalogs in the States: and yes, you set the offending plugged smoke in the tray; use the cover to hold it in place, and draw the poker through the length of the cigar. And for me, it never solved the problem...cigar stayed plugged with no improvement. I do promise and swear that I've acquired this item WAAAY before 2016 at least twice.

1 hour ago, cigcars said:

The Perfect Draw or contraption of the same thing I acquired some time in 1998 from the local tobacconists catalogs in the States: and yes, you set the offending plugged smoke in the tray; use the cover to hold it in place, and draw the poker through the length of the cigar. And for me, it never solved the problem...cigar stayed plugged with no improvement. I do promise and swear that I've acquired this item WAAAY before 2016 at least twice.

What you're describing sounds a lot like the Draw Poker:

51mD0Ty+XkL._AC_SX522_.jpg

This has been around for 20+ years and is about as useless as you describe. It has no barbs and is pretty much a skewer. 

Before the PD, the Modus tool was pretty much the closest thing to it but results were generally less than ideal: 

161016dps0003-Edit.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The discussions on every thread I'm reading this weekend quickly get contentious.

Here's the deal here: Since the dawn of man, a stick has been in his/her hand. It progressed from woods to metals.

In the cigar world people have used many types of pointy objects to clear a plugged cigar. But the item, which is the topic of this post, has been around for a few years. It has an unique design, unlike the similar items that were around since at least the 80s. This is much better, and will likely get improved upon...with lasers.

If the response to this is that you or a bloke had it before then, you are so right. You made this thread great again!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

At first I was disappointed with the tool as it either failed completely or resulted in wind tunnels.

However, I’ve had recent successes with the tool. Simply jabbing and twisting and pulling and shaking is as ineffective as hitting the VCR.

I’ve taken a more thoughtful approach to unclogging my sticks with this tool:

1. Feel around to find the plug,

2. Gently push the tool into the cigar twisting ever so slightly.

3. Once you’re in the center of the plug, make a half turn, then quickly but carefully yank it straight out.

4. Approach the plug from points other than just the center of the head. Try from the foot and/or carefully from the outer rim of the head/foot.

Be patient and methodical. You’ll be happy you took the time to get it right.

Phone is ringin, ohmuhgod....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FHFinster said:

However, I’ve had recent successes with the tool. Simply jabbing and twisting and pulling and shaking is as ineffective as hitting the VCR.

Proper technique is essential when using the PD. Rod put out that tutorial immediately and it's all over his site to try and preventively address any complaints about it not working. It must be used properly or results will be inconsistent. When used properly it's about 90% effective. Some cigars are just unsalvageable. Obviously if a plug is in the middle of a Monte A there's nothing that can be done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Proper technique is essential when using the PD. Rod put out that tutorial immediately and it's all over his site to try and preventively address any complaints about it not working. It must be used properly or results will be inconsistent. When used properly it's about 90% effective. Some cigars are just unsalvageable. Obviously if a plug is in the middle of a Monte A there's nothing that can be done.

I have a box of RASCC, every stinkin’ stick is rolled so tight, I’m better off lighting up a Lincoln Log.

The box has sat untouched for over two years as a result.

I spent a few minutes the other day, with my Perfect Draw, gently making my way through different sections of this little seemingly “unsalvageable” stick.

The Perfect Draw got the job done! Proper technique indeed.

Phone is ringin, ohmuhgod....
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FHFinster said:

I have a box of RASCC, every stinkin’ stick is rolled so tight, I’m better off lighting up a Lincoln Log.

Minutos and Perlas are virtually 100% salvageable since the PD reaches the entire length of them. 

For longer cigars that just won't open up I have gone in from the foot as well as the head.

The PD has completely removed the disappointment of tight draws from my life. Just the peace of mind and elimination of the anxiety after the cut and checking the draw is worth every penny. 

• Like 4

I’ve bought 3 over past two years.  One stays at home. One goes in my travel kit for when on the road.  The other was a gift because it’s so effective when used as directed   Salvaged quite a few tight cigars extremely well. The poker style skewers don’t do anything worthwhile since they don’t remove enough leaf from the cigar.

of course there are exceptions, because occasionally there’s a cigar so poorly made it just needs to be trashed.