Punch Mantua (Italian RE) Review

Thank you for sharing Punch Mantua experience Frank! I have one freebie Mantua in my tupperdor and can't wait to post Mantua review! Do you prefer Punch 898 over Mantua? I never had any Punch, so can't tell a lot about Punch.

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Thank you for sharing Punch Mantua experience Frank! I have one freebie Mantua in my tupperdor and can't wait to post Mantua review! Do you prefer Punch 898 over Mantua? I never had any Punch, so can't tell a lot about Punch.

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Having smoked one of each so far, the Punch 898 definitely made a better impression as it did have clear Punch DNA. And it only needed to be lit once.  ☺️ the Mantua does stand out on its own. There's nothing boring about it.  Once I've smoked at least a half dozen or so of each, i'll have a more informed opinion.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, bundwallah said:

Having smoked one of each so far, the Punch 898 definitely made a better impression as it did have clear Punch DNA. And it only needed to be lit once.  ☺️ the Mantua does stand out on its own. There's nothing boring about it.  Once I've smoked at least a half dozen or so of each, i'll have a more informed opinion.  

Thanks Frank! I wish I have 898 to compare with Mantua, since Dalia is one of my favorite CC sizes. The positive reviews of 898 made me want to buy stockpile of these. ?

Great review Frank. Interesting it did not have the punch characteristics, given it is a skinny. Wonder how it would stack up an a side by side with a Ninfa or after a few years when it settles down with some downtime in the humidor.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Like your ply by play style of review. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the review Frank. A question though: dry-boxing for 10 days seems an awful long time. Could you explain the reasoning behind it?

All the very best my friend.

Michel

On 7/5/2020 at 4:44 AM, cottierm said:

Many thanks for the review Frank. A question though: dry-boxing for 10 days seems an awful long time. Could you explain the reasoning behind it?

All the very best my friend.

Michel

Hi Michel! Long time no talk.  My version of "dry boxing" in this case is that the cigar resided in my Peter James case for around 10 days.  And it was only that long because I kept putting off smoking/reviewing the stick.   I was planning on smoking it 3-5 days after getting it.  

And so that was the reason!

Many thanks for your answer Frank. My question was not only to have the pleasure to recontact you but had also practical point: I have been given a few dozens of cigars which had been over-humidified for years and which I am currently trying to revive. They have already spent two to three months in my humidor but that appeared not to have been sufficient and I am now dry-boxing a few at a time but after already five days the ones I have tried to smoke have still no real taste. Do you think it is possible to kill a cigar by over-humidifying it?

All the very best,

Michel

37 minutes ago, cottierm said:

And so that was the reason!

Many thanks for your answer Frank. My question was not only to have the pleasure to recontact you but had also practical point: I have been given a few dozens of cigars which had been over-humidified for years and which I am currently trying to revive. They have already spent two to three months in my humidor but that appeared not to have been sufficient and I am now dry-boxing a few at a time but after already five days the ones I have tried to smoke have still no real taste. Do you think it is possible to kill a cigar by over-humidifying it?

All the very best,

Michel

I've had better luck with reviving dry sticks than over humidified ones.  With too much RH I would imagine the oils could "escape" as the cigar comes down to a lower, desired RH.  Whereas if they're dry the oils are kinda stuck there and dont evaporate as much?   Maybe take a stick and put it in the fridge for 3-4 hours and see how it smokes then?  

On 6/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, bundwallah said:

Amazing review! Thanks for sharing. I unfortunatelyh have missed out on the Mantua, but have a box of 898 coming in (once airfreight to DK is running again following covid) - so seems that I have something to look forward to despite missing the Mantua.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just had one last night, I really like the exotic spice element in the aroma - I was thinking clove but now that you mention anise, bingo!

Interesting that despite what appears to be perfect construction, draw, etc, my cigar required several re-lights as well.

• Like 1