Best cheesesteak in Philly

captaincaveman

If any of you make your way to Philadelphia....don’t get caught at one of the tourist trap crap cheesesteak joints.  Head to Angelo’s in south philly.  Hands down the best cheesesteak in the city.  Perfect light snack for a Friday off!

892DB175-CF13-4861-A27C-DCE3E70D4B93.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

WOW! Ray, this looks excellent.  I've only had Pat's & Geno's when in Philly one time.  My brother, buddy and I walked there from the ballpark after a game (a lot longer of a walk than we thought it would be).  I guess the alcohol helped and hurt us in this scenario..  I liked Geno's better than Pat's.  Nevertheless, what you have here looks incredible and much better.  

Looks like a very light snack.... 

• Like 1

Right over the Philly limits, in Bala Cynwyd, is Mama's.  Just an incredible cheese steak.  Fresh daily bread, provolone cheese, and they use flank steak.  Their sauce is delicious.

That looks like a nice Sarcone's Bakery seeded roll. Is Angelo's where Sarcone's sandwich shop used to be, i.e, same block as the bakery? That is the best bread in Philly.

As a South Philly native, I recommend Nick's Roast Pork on Snyder Av. at Weccacoe or Cosmi's Deli at 8th and Dickinson ( three blocks from Pat's). Both daytime operations.

Lorenzo's Pizza, on the corner one block south of Angelo's on 9th, also makes some awesome steaks and pizza.

Pat's and Geno's are strictly for 3AM drunken feasts when no real steak shops are open.

Sadly, I live in DC where pizza and cheesesteaks of that exalted level are nonexistent but when I visit my Mom, I indulge heavily.

6 hours ago, J-ROB said:

That looks like a nice Sarcone's Bakery seeded roll. Is Angelo's where Sarcone's sandwich shop used to be, i.e, same block as the bakery? That is the best bread in Philly.

As a South Philly native, I recommend Nick's Roast Pork on Snyder Av. at Weccacoe or Cosmi's Deli at 8th and Dickinson ( three blocks from Pat's). Both daytime operations.

Lorenzo's Pizza, on the corner one block south of Angelo's on 9th, also makes some awesome steaks and pizza.

Pat's and Geno's are strictly for 3AM drunken feasts when no real steak shops are open.

Sadly, I live in DC where pizza and cheesesteaks of that exalted level are nonexistent but when I visit my Mom, I indulge heavily.

It is on the same block of ninth as Sarcone’s. The owner of Angelo’s is married to a relative of Sarcone’s...but he makes his own bread for his shop.

Cool background story https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/food/michael-klein/angelos-pizza-south-philadelphia-danny-digiampietro-sarcone-20190220.html%3foutputType=amp

Yeah, I heard Angelo's pizza is fantastic. I actually tried to go there the last time I was in Philly but they were closed for some reason...maybe they're closed Mondays. I think that was the problem.  Will try Angelo's again. Maybe drive up next week, get fed, and smoke some of my uncle's Padron stash while I'm at it!

Had to settle for a Cosmi's "South Philly italian" hoagie, which is not a heartbreaker. It is always a memorable sandwich. They also make a super cheesesteak with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone on a nice seeded roll. 

II suffer from severe pizza jones sometimes. I used to live on Wooster Street in New Haven, between two legendary pizza joints, Sally's and Pepe's. My wife and i met in school up there and we still dream about the pizzas we had back in the 80s. Pepe's makes a brick oven white clam pizza that is crazy good. Actually i tried to recreate a New Haven classic today, Modern Apizza's white crab pizza. Admittedly, a pale imitation but I try.  

Philly pizza can be really fine but the local sandwiches hit god tier status.  I wouldn't even try to counterfeit a real cheesesteak. I can get the thinly chipped ribeye steak that most of the great places use, but the roll is what truly makes the sandwich. 

My mom says it's the water that makes good bread and pizza dough. Philly water is quite good, tastes fresh.  Same with NYC. DC water smells funky and tastes like it was dipped out of a fish tank.