Tough couple of weeks.

Mom broke her ankle back in Nov 19, and my wife(a saint) and I  have been staying with her most of the time since. She was 89 then and had recovered well from the surgeries. We had started going home for a week here and there and getting life back to normal. Her 90th birthday was on the 25th of June, had a great time.  She got to see her great grand child for the first time, my daughter's. A couple of days after I noticed that my mom's feet were swollen, so off to the doctor went. Doc sent us straight to the hospital and she was admitted with congestive heart failure. Her cardiologist determined that one of her valves was constricted and she need a transplant, that could be done thtough a vein in her groin. After discussing this with my mom, she decided to have it done, since they wouldn't have to open her chest up. Her cardiologist transferred her to UAB hospital ( 200mi away) to have it done there. All going to plan, great doctors, facilities, ect. After running the last tests before surgery, they discovered another valve( mitral) was ripped and was the real culprit causing her issues. The only way to fix it would be open heart surgery, which the doctor felt like she had a 90% chance of recovery,  due to her overall health. Well mom decided she doesn't want to be opened up and just wants to go home.  I  have power of attorney over her health,  and my heart says to get her to have the surgery. But it's her choice, nothing at all wrong with her mind. It still doesn't make the decision any easier. So tomorrow or the next day, we go home with hospice.

• Sad 11

Man, that’s rough all the way around, sorry to hear T-bird. My thoughts are with you and your family. 

• Thanks 1

We feel for you and your family Tom. It is be tough seeing your parents struggle healthwise. She sounds like a tough rooster and no doubt you will be spending lots of time with her and looking for all the joy possible. 

• Thanks 1