Brisbane, the home of AFL

Well, due to rising cases of Covid in Victoria the AFL has been moved to predominantly Queensland, giving the Brisbane Lions plenty of home games and a good shot at the title. I'd be interested in the thoughts of Queenslanders on whether the AFL is getting much publicity in a NRL dominant state?

bill, rugby is doing its best to disappear without a trace. not sure if soccer is even being played and the broncs are in the toilet, so a good time. hard to see afl ever surpassing the league up here but it can make inroads. current popularity is a long way behind the heights of early this century when we kept winning the flag. i know we are in the top teams again, though when i look at the current team, i wonder how many would have made the great team of the 2000-2004 era? neale? hipwood? not too sure how many others but in time, that might change.

bill, people don't realise that afl has always had strong support in certain areas up here. i grew up at sherwood. a suburb not too far from the city. we played afl at school - no other form of footy. played for the local club. we were afl first and last. that changed as i moved schools. but our little state school provided players who went on to play afl, before the lions were ever thought of. gary shaw at collingwood was a good mate. dunstall was at school behind me, not at sherwood but at the next school, where we played rugby and bugger all else. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

bill, rugby is doing its best to disappear without a trace. not sure if soccer is even being played and the broncs are in the toilet, so a good time. hard to see afl ever surpassing the league up here but it can make inroads. current popularity is a long way behind the heights of early this century when we kept winning the flag. i know we are in the top teams again, though when i look at the current team, i wonder how many would have made the great team of the 2000-2004 era? neale? hipwood? not too sure how many others but in time, that might change.

bill, people don't realise that afl has always had strong support in certain areas up here. i grew up at sherwood. a suburb not too far from the city. we played afl at school - no other form of footy. played for the local club. we were afl first and last. that changed as i moved schools. but our little state school provided players who went on to play afl, before the lions were ever thought of. gary shaw at collingwood was a good mate. dunstall was at school behind me, not at sherwood but at the next school, where we played rugby and bugger all else. 

I'm surprised that AFL was played a bit when you were at school. Down here we only really got coverage of AFL so we only played AFL and cricket then at school during PE we would play soccer, basketball, tennis, hockey, baseball and lacrosse. There were quite a few lacrosse clubs also in the eastern suburbs where I lived. And yes, that Brisbane side was super. Voss, Black, Brown, Ackermanis, Lappin, the Scott brothers etc.

17 minutes ago, Bill Hayes said:

I'm surprised that AFL was played a bit when you were at school. Down here we only really got coverage of AFL so we only played AFL and cricket then at school during PE we would play soccer, basketball, tennis, hockey, baseball and lacrosse. There were quite a few lacrosse clubs also in the eastern suburbs where I lived. And yes, that Brisbane side was super. Voss, Black, Brown, Ackermanis, Lappin, the Scott brothers etc.

no lacrosse anywhere near where i grew up.

one of the great, most famous west aussie players also came from there. buggered if i can ever remember who it was though. mate of mine, who is about 12-15 years older than me, went to the same state school and talks about him. 

• Like 1