C&C Time?

I always enjoy seeing the coffee and cigar shots in the Daily Smoke.  Makes me wonder...what’s your go to CC with coffee?  And to narrow the inquiry a bit - let’s talk morning(ish) smokes.  

• Like 3

When I smoke CCs its usually with beer and scotch...but for the ride to work I generally smoke small NCs with a cup of Joe...lots of good ones...but right now Id put the tatuaje black petit corona near the top...also honorable mention to the illusione rothschilde

• Like 4

Well first, I love good coffee,  and I prefer to drink it black, an acquired taste. (My WW2 vet grandfather explained to me as a kid that if I wanted to grow up tough, I wasn't to use cream and/or sugar.) 

I've tried everything from Kona to Jamaica Blue Mountain and loved them but I've settled on Jacobs Kronung as a more affordable daily java. It's a german coffee and I highly recommend it.

As for the cigar pairings with coffee...oh jeez there are so many. As for Cubans, I like the HU #2, PLPC, Bolivar PC, and R&J Churchill's when I have the time. Heck maybe even a RASS or JL #2 depending on the mood. NCs? Warped La Haciendas, Guardian of the Farm, AJF Encore, or something by Isabela Cigars. Highly recommend Isabela if you haven't checked them out yet.

• Like 3

Thank you all for taking the time to indulge me.  It’s interesting to me - albeit not surprising at all - how there are so many varying approaches to this question.  The same can said about cigars in general:  to each their own, to put it simply.  Typically, I smoke in the afternoon/evening, usually paired with a beer or whiskey choice, like MB mentioned.  By nature, I am drawn to the more medium-full profiles, which I’m not sure would suit what I would be looking for in the morning (my typical coffee drinking time). I have certainly enjoyed an espresso or other “fancy” java selection with a smoke later in the day, but again, with a fuller smoke as the business part of my day may be winding down.  I’m not sure I would be looking for the occasionally surprising, but always welcome, nicotine face kick as my day starts to unfold.  I do know that I don’t want to fall into some predetermined routine or schedule associated with this passion of ours, or perhaps I’m just looking for a way to enjoy it more, more often!

Looking forward to giving a few of the thoughts in here a go...and for more discussion.  Cheers!

16 hours ago, mbflash80 said:

When I smoke CCs its usually with beer and scotch...but for the ride to work I generally smoke small NCs with a cup of Joe...lots of good ones...but right now Id put the tatuaje black petit corona near the top...also honorable mention to the illusione rothschilde

Funny - I was having a convo with my wife earlier this week and she asked me if I ever smoke NCs and I told her I haven’t for quite some time (a year or more), but mentioned these two brands as ones I would pick up if I were to.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mwaller said:

Raphael Gonzales Petit Corona   I think I got this idea from Rob, and it really is a perfect match for a morning coffee.

This. Aged RG goes so well with coffee. I have some boxes of the rg perlas and pc from 09-11 that are amazing with every coffee I’ve tried em with.

• Like 2

If I choose to drink an Aeropressed coffee (a local roaster) is generally paired with a stick that compliments the profile of the bean which is usually based upon the origin region of the bean. 
Cherry, berry, citrus, mineral, stone fruit, cocoa notes in the coffee pair very well with Ramon Allones or a Partagas Short in my experience. 
Partagas Habaneros, young PLPC, Bolivar JC, HUHC/Major/Minor pair so well with a cup that leans more towards chocolate and baking spices. Any coffee that is earthy, Party Short 100%. 

Drip coffee with cream and honey (my usual cup during the week) pairs well with so many sticks. PLMC is a given, and of course RG Perlas. Partagas Shorts also pair well because they often can be molasses-sweet. Montecristo No's tend to all have the same profile as the coffee and are fantastic. 

There is also something about Cohiba Shorts that make them good for anything!

• Like 2

A good question for @Raskol I think. For me the MC#5 gets the most plays. The PLMC can be sublime as well. I do prefer 100% Arabica Illy Classic Roast  but Carl's Junior works on the road. So I'm saying what The Pig said.... 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PigFish said:

Any good cigar goes well with a good coffee. That concludes my technical notes on the matter.

The Pig

Hahaha...yep, this math checks out!

2017 SCdlH Principe's paired with a Nespresso Master Nicaraguan w Black Honey processed Aribica is my current favorite!

IMG_1113.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/19/2020 at 12:37 AM, PigFish said:

Any good cigar goes well with a good coffee.

I'd go so far as to say, a good cigar can't be spoiled by any coffee - while the reverse doesn't always hold true. ;)

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

I'd go so far as to say, a good cigar can't be spoiled by any coffee - while the reverse doesn't always hold true. ;)

... don't agree. Shit coffee can seriously foul you. Burnt coffee.... yuk! Man that could foul a good cigar for sure!!!

Lets agree to stay away from shit coffee and both be happy!!! -LOL

Hope you are well my friend! -R

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 8:59 PM, BigGuns said:

I always enjoy seeing the coffee and cigar shots in the Daily Smoke.  Makes me wonder...what’s your go to CC with coffee?  And to narrow the inquiry a bit - let’s talk morning(ish) smokes.  

I’ve had LGC MdO 4’s and Party Shorts with an espresso after breakfast more times than I can count!