Fireproof wrappers

You're a knowledgeable lot. This 2015 Serie le Hoyo started out just fine. Halfway down the wrapper has become a burn retardant wrapping!

The first half was a well behaved ash with the familiar rings of a good burn. Then it turned. Canoed a bit. Corrected then the wrapper is a shield! Isn't the wrapper one leaf? Could be the binder I suppose... 

Not a common occurrence luckily, but meh.

Gone out again now. Excuse me while I relight...

IMG_20200718_184339.jpg

IMG_20200718_174840.jpg

• Sad 1

These wrappers are so nasty that I have to use more than half of my torch lighter's fuel. It's even worse when the draw and blend are really bad as tentpeg. Wheel of torture indeed ??

• Like 2

I'm sure it's the wrapper. Gave it a bit of a blast. And it does feel a bit more leathery than I expected now I'm paying attention! Never noticed before... Must pay more attention!

Draw is good. Flavour is good. Plenty of smokes.

Not ditching ? I'm in too much of a good mood.

IMG_20200718_185140.jpg

• Like 1

I had a BBF pull that on me. What it seemed like; granted, I'm not very smart, was that the wrapper was not wrapped all that tight and just a tiny, tiny gap between wrapper and binder was making it a challenge to keep the wrapper going. I didn't have to touch up the filler more than once, but the wrapper got some flame love probably 15 times or so. Even considering that, the BBF was outstanding though.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, ha_banos said:

I'm sure it's the wrapper. Gave it a bit of a blast. And it does feel a bit more leathery than I expected now I'm paying attention! Never noticed before... Must pay more attention!

Draw is good. Flavour is good. Plenty of smokes.

Not ditching ?

IMG_20200718_185140.jpg

Lucky indeed! I had Partagas Series 1 EL 17, which was ended up being blend fireproof tentpeg. ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

I had a BBF pull that on me. What it seemed like; granted, I'm not very smart, was that the wrapper was not wrapped all that tight and just a tiny, tiny gap between wrapper and binder was making it a challenge to keep the wrapper going. I didn't have to touch up the filler more than once, but the wrapper got some flame love probably 15 times or so. Even considering that, the BBF was outstanding though.  

I wonder if you'd have noticed if you'd looked for it before lighting. This one I should have put in the gift pile ??

Sorry to hear that [mention=29444]Connoisseur Kim[/mention]! No EL should subject us to this aggrievance!
I suppose reminds us of Cuba and to appreciate the good stuff
Much agreed! It was ouchy dog rocket EL due to its fireproof wrapper and tentpeg draw. Luckily, it's the only fireproof CC so far

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Thanks 1

In my experience the fireproof wrapper is a specific phenomenon that's easily identifiable by the extremely flaky ash and heavy char down the ash line with no burning as seen in the pics above. It's fundamentally different from "poor burning" which can be caused by myriad issues including rH, bunching, thick wrapper etc. And yes, you can easily burn through an entire tank of gas trying to keep the cigar burning.

I believe it's due to improper wrapper fermentation. I've seen it happen even with thin, beautiful looking wrappers. There's no visual clues pre-light.

I recently had a seam of 18 Monte PEs from Rob, PSP boxes with gorgeous wrappers that almost all suffered from them. Wasn't just his as two 10 boxes I bought blind, also 18, had it as well. 

Interestingly, I rarely see or hear about it on Cohiba. Perhaps the extra fermentation helps reduce the likelihood it can happen or perhaps the wrappers are of such high quality extra care is taken with their processing from the start. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

In my experience the fireproof wrapper is a specific phenomenon that's easily identifiable by the extremely flaky ash and heavy char down the ash line with no burning as seen in the pics above. It's fundamentally different from "poor burning" which can be caused by myriad issues including rH, bunching, thick wrapper etc. And yes, you can easily burn through an entire tank of gas trying to keep the cigar burning.

I believe it's due to improper wrapper fermentation. I've seen it happen even with thin, beautiful looking wrappers. There's no visual clues pre-light.

I recently had a seam of 18 Monte PEs from Rob, PSP boxes with gorgeous wrappers that almost all suffered from them. Wasn't just his as two 10 boxes I bought blind, also 18, had it as well. 

Interestingly, I rarely see or hear about it on Cohiba. Perhaps the extra fermentation helps reduce the likelihood it can happen or perhaps the wrappers are of such high quality extra care is taken with their processing from the start. 

But I was sure I could tell from the remaining wrapper after I realised what was going on! But from what you say we may be unable to determine this phenomenon in advance and are occasionally doomed to fighting it. Dang. 

Another thing to add to the Selection Ceremony ? Now there must be a topic for that....

Agree it is likely a fermentation/processing issue much of the time.  The issue is nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be.  If there's any hope, it's burying the box for another 2 or 3 years and sampling to see if it's improved.  I have a box of HdM EE that had terrible burn issues when I bought them almost 3 years ago.  I left them alone and now all is well.  Good luck!

• Like 1

In my subjective experience it's more often these days the wrapper doesn't burn properly due to underfilling.  If there's not enough tobacco in the filler then when it expands from the temperature it cannot expand enough to properly heat the 2 binder leaves let alone the wrapper.  You mentioned canoeing so it's possible the filler is not properly bunched.

• Like 1