world's best rum made in brizzy

Ken Gargett

personally, never heard of it. 

This $42 Queensland rum has just been voted best in the WORLD - so what makes it so special?

·       An Australian rum made in Brisbane has just been named best in the world

·       Substation No. 41 was voted number one at the London Spirits Competition 

·       The rum is excellent value at $42 per 700ml bottle, cheaper than other labels

·       Bottles of Bacardi cost $52.95 while Queensland-made Bundaberg rum is $58 

PUBLISHED: 16:16 AEST, 24 July 2020 UPDATED: 16:18 AEST, 24 July 2020

A remarkably affordable Australian rum distilled in Queensland has been named 'best in the world' by a panel of experts.

Judges crowned Brisbane-produced Substation No. 41 'rum of the year' at the third annual London Spirits Competition in Fulham in the city's southwest on July 6.

Flavoured with vanilla, toffee and fruitcake, the rum is excellent value at just $42 per 700ml bottle, considerably cheaper than other leading labels.

Bottles of Bacardi cost $52 while fellow Queensland brand Bundaberg is even steeper at $58.

Scroll down for video

Brisbane-produced Substation No. 41, which was voted 'rum of the year' at the third annual London Spirits Competition on July 6

Brisbane-produced Substation No. 41, which was voted 'rum of the year' at the third annual London Spirits Competition on July 6

The rum also comes in cans pre-mixed with ginger ale which cost $19.99 per pack of four. 

Substation No. 41 is inspired by the bar of the same name in Brisbane's Breakfast Creek Hotel, one of the biggest rum bars in the world with an in-house collection of over 500 varieties. 

Brand manager Pia Harris said its distinctive flavour and affordability make it a winner with Australian drinkers as well as alcohol lovers from overseas.

'We couldn't be more thrilled that it's now being recognised on the global scene,' she said in a statement Friday.

Substation is the second Queensland rum to win an international award this year, following Rockhampton's Saleyards Distillery which received a nod for its Capricorn Spiced Rum at the 2020 World Rum Awards in April. 

Flavoured with vanilla, toffee and fruitcake, the rum also comes in cans pre-mixed with ginger ale (pictured) which cost $19.99 per pack of four+

Flavoured with vanilla, toffee and fruitcake, the rum also comes in cans pre-mixed with ginger ale (pictured) which cost $19.99 per pack of four

Ms Harris said the high standard that comes from the Sunshine State has a lot to do with its climate.

'Rum is traditionally made with the components of sugar production, so many distilleries tend to be near regions where sugarcane is grown or refined,' she said.

This is why we see an over-index of rum distilleries in tropical areas such as Queensland.'

Substation No. 41 is exclusively available in Dan Murphy's and BWS stores Australia-wide. 

• Like 3

How does Bundaberg Rum hold up? They advertise so much on Fox during NRL that I started craving some rum drinks....and I usually only drink whisky but their commercials make me wanna get a nip of Bundy and cola. As far as I know, I can't get it in the US anyway so I'll add it to my to-do list next time I am in Aus. 

Need a friend down under to help me acquire a bottle or two....

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

Mike, the cost of sending a $40 bottle to you guys would be ridiculous compared to the value. 

you need to visit!

Plan to as soon as we can actually leave our borders. May be a while!