Yes, I want medical advice from stangers on the internet!

How could this go wrong?

I know some of you here are highly trained and skilled individuals. You're not all Robs. 

Whats the medical advice on broken bones and smoking? My spinal brace is finally off and my three spinal fractures are apparently "stable".  Not had a cigar in almost 6 months now. How long would you go without smoking to let the bones heal sufficiently?

Im not a big smoker, maybe two a month, if that factors in in any way.

Look forward to solid meidcal advice ?

• Like 1

I actually made a profit on my bike... since i  had only bought it a week before the accident, it was covered under credit card complimenatary insurance. So i got the full money back, then i sold the broken bike on Gumtree for 100 bucks ?

• Haha 2

I actually made a profit on my bike... sincei  had only bought it a week before the accident, it was covered under credit card complimenatary insurance. So i got the full money back, then i sold the broken bike on Gumtree for 100 bucks 

I’d celebrate that win with a cigar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I would say depends on highly on you age and health.  I had a hernia 14 years ago (at 23) and my father told me it would be the worse experience of my life.  I should expect my balls to turn black and blue, quadruple in size and I would be in pain for a month.  I was fine and back on my bike within 4 days.  I questioned my doctor about it and he told me that since I was so lean and in shape that my recovery was pretty much guaranteed.  People who are over weight have it more like my father did.  So it really depends.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kitchen said:

I would say depends on highly on you age and health.  

Spritely 34 years old. I'm no iron man but i'd say im in better than average health. My balls are already black and blue ?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Kitchen said:

I would say depends on highly on you age and health.  I had a hernia 14 years ago (at 23) and my father told me it would be the worse experience of my life.  I should expect my balls to turn black and blue, quadruple in size and I would be in pain for a month.  I was fine and back on my bike within 4 days.  I questioned my doctor about it and he told me that since I was so lean and in shape that my recovery was pretty much guaranteed.  People who are over weight have it more like my father did.  So it really depends.  

Had a hernia operation this past Spring. Experience somewhere between your father's and yours. 

Definitely some bruising, swelling and moderate pain though all passed in a few short days.

When I woke up in recovery the sack and boys were around double in size. Mentioned to my wife and she laughed. Said the nurse (young one) was shocked as they were apparently twice that size when I was first brought in unconscious.

Kelly, sweetheart she is told the nurse they're always that size!

Anyway, on to the advice. If you only smoke a cigar every few weeks, having one now isn't going to slow any healing down. Light up a good one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Russians have this humorous phrase: "doctors say that vodka in small doses is useful for the body in any quantities"
I'm glad to see that you've recovered and are thinking again of our little manly pleasures

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

Spritely 34 years old. I'm no iron man but i'd say im in better than average health. My balls are already black and blue ?

You need to stop banging them on the bedpost?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, JY0 said:

I recently had spinal fusion. My surgeon told me that nicotine inhibits bone growth through reduced blood flow.

Yep exactly what I’ve been told and read. 60% slower recovery apparently. Definitely wasn’t considering it earlier on. But now 4 months on figure might be able to get back into it a bit. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree, Mus needs to stop smoking.

• Mus smokes
  • Decides to get healthy because of his disgusting habit
  • Purchases bike to exercise
  • Gets run down by maniac driver

If he never smoked, he would never have bought that bike to exercise. It's so obvious! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seriously the health risks of cigars have been overstated for at least a century. I'm not going to tell you that doctors have zero idea and to ignore them. The FDA is the only one that had an actual study. That study stated that smoking cigar is just as harmful as cigarettes... if you inhale. Who the hell inhales a cigar... To top that, you would need to to smoke 5 cigars daily (while inhaling) in order to be considered on the same realm of a cigarette smoker. Yet that study still concluded cigar smokers are just as much at risk... LINK: https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-015-1617-5

Clearly a biased tobacco lobby review that I agree with: https://www.rstreet.org/2016/08/24/fda-study-cancer-risks-nearly-nil-for-1-2-cigars-per-day/

They state smoking 1-2 cigars a day comes with very low risk (no kidding? lets make it illegal). Because we all have the time of day like Micheal Jordan who smokes 8 cohibas a day... 8! that's at least 12 hours a day, 

Am I implying to lie to insurance company's? Yup

Am I saying some doctors are just saying talking points because why research when the answer is "tobacco bad"? yup

Should I worry about my vises? YES, just keep them in check. 1-2 cigars is the minimum you should smoke... In my humble opinion.

Dentistry work: I have had major surgery on my mouth from a bike accident and a stick from sports going straight into my mouth. I have had over 100 stitches in my gums, have had 2 nerve endings removed, I have a metal needle that goes all the way to my nostril just to ensure my bones don't degrade.

They have always said "Stay away from cigars". Did I stay away?

You know the answer.

The health risks are so clumped with problems from plant itself.

BUT, the natural plant has very little data. Cigarettes are large cause of lung problems. Chaw is a large part of mouth cancer problems. So, on those health warnings and point out that nicotine causes mouth cancer, they conveniently do not not state what type of nicotine product owns that percentage rate or mean..

I don't want to go against health advise. I MOST DEFINITELY d not want to get any one harmed from my opinions...

But my opinion is that cigars are much safer than the tale that most doctors precaution about without any real scientific understanding. I bet a cigar smoking doctor would be biased, but would at least be researched. a non-cigar smoking doctor you may expect to biased, but not researched.

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying to refuse doctor's advice. I am just just saying that they are not looking at data from different tobacco products because if there is risk, then do not be liable. When there is unknown in liability, you lean conservative... This is not an endorsement to say doctors don't know what they are talking about, so ignore your treatments and do a bunch of cocaine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BoliDan said:

Should I worry about my vises? YES, just keep them in check. 1-2 cigars is the minimum you should smoke... In my humble opinion.

I used to worry about my vises. Then I realised with cleaning, regular maintenance and a dab of grease or a spray of WD-40, they would be perfectly fine. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I used to worry about my vises. Then I realised with cleaning, regular maintenance and a dab of grease or a spray of WD-40, they would be perfectly fine. :rolleyes:

That was clearly an incomplete thought. I blame the whiskey. It's the only time i make long posts...

I woke this morning and saw 6 notifications. I immediately thought to myself... "Holy buckets, what the hell did write last night?"

• Haha 2