How is life in Hong Kong right now?

For our members in Hong Kong, let us know how things are travelling. I receive updates every few days from friends there and things seem uneasy at best. It is one of my favourite cities in the world. 

Fill us in as to how you are seeing things right now and how you are coping. :thinking:

• Like 2

I was up there in February and stayed up in the New Territories.

I was astounded by the amount of general damage that had been done by the rioting, especially towards the MRT and in residential areas.

HK is one of the greatest cities in the world, so I hope for the residents sake that things return to normality sooner rather than later.

Meklown...you can bet the farm that the mainland is sending their spies to monitor the situation. When Cuba sends doctors, delegates, sports teams around the world just as many spies accompany them. Sometimes even more. When I used to fly Cubana there would be the typical crew on board and an additional uniformed 6 males that seemed to have no function. They were there to listen to conversations and meddle in peoples business. I'm sure you will be getting much of the same. Wonderful info on your part. John

17 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

Meklown...you can bet the farm that the mainland is sending their spies to monitor the situation. When Cuba sends doctors, delegates, sports teams around the world just as many spies accompany them. Sometimes even more. When I used to fly Cubana there would be the typical crew on board and an additional uniformed 6 males that seemed to have no function. They were there to listen to conversations and meddle in peoples business. I'm sure you will be getting much of the same. Wonderful info on your part. John

Frankly I don't think China needs such a flimsy and public cover to put agents in HK. Their reach into HK is already very extensive and I'm sure they already have agents of all sorts and in all areas by now, that's why I personally doubt they would have sent some disguised as medics in this instance! 

Take for example the latest national security law - as part of that, China has the legal right to now send agents to HK to help to enforce this law. They don't really need to come in disguises any more! 

Having said that, I have felt little to no difference in daily life since that law was passed. I'm just an average guy and they would be arresting half of HK before they even consider me .. 

• Like 1