Por larranaga Petit Corona Dress Box?

42 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

25 cabs are even more unusual.

While HSA was cutting 50 cabs to focus on dress boxes the memo got read backwards with the PLPC. 

Would be nice to have the option for 25s on these, cab or DB.

Honestly... for ease of storage, I kinda wish *everything* came on 25ct dress. They're just so much easier to tetris together. Plus I don't get sentimental about boxes, generally speaking. I will admit, though, that I'm quite fond of the varnished box of the partagas 898v. Remind me? What's the precise terminology? Varnished cabinet? SBNV?

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

$30/stick for PLPC from one of the worst vintages in modern history!? I don't give a damn if comes packed in a Fabergé Egg.

2 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Honestly... for ease of storage, I kinda wish *everything* came on 25ct dress. They're just so much easier to tetris together. Plus I don't get sentimental about boxes, generally speaking. I will admit, though, that I'm quite fond of the varnished box of the partagas 898v. Remind me? What's the precise terminology? Varnished cabinet? SBNV?

I just don't like a box press. Thank goodness CC box presses are minimal compared to the square NCs. And I just personally prefer the aesthetics of cabs over DBs, but I would certainly take anything in VBN or 898V as it's space efficient and the best packaging for long-term storage.

1 hour ago, Nekhyludov said:

$30/stick for PLPC from one of the worst vintages in modern history!? I don't give a damn if comes packed in a Fabergé Egg.

There were some great cigars made in that period and PL in particular was outstanding--most notably the Lonsdales. RG, SP, Dip, RyJ, Punch, SC, VR, Vegueros and RA were all pumping out some fantastic cigars in that period. Hoyo, Monte, Boli not so much. If you can get ahold of any machine-mades during that time do it, particularly Partagas. Draws could also still be a problem with the HMs but with the PerfecDraw I'm a lot less concerned about that.

Based on my experience I would expect those PLPC to be excellent and I would imagine they'll command quite a hefty price.

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov
54 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

There were some great cigars made in that period and PL in particular was outstanding--most notably the Lonsdales. RG, SP, Dip, RyJ, Punch, SC, VR, Vegueros and RA were all pumping out some fantastic cigars in that period. Hoyo, Monte, Boli not so much. If you can get ahold of any machine-mades during that time do it, particularly Partagas. Draws could also still be a problem with the HMs but with the PerfecDraw I'm a lot less concerned about that.

You're entirely correct on that point. '99 - '01 vintages are just a sore point for me because I experienced so many profoundly lousy cigars during that period that it put me off Habanos for a solid decade. I just can't imagine attempting to find the diamonds in the rough, much less paying a high premium for the privilege. 

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Based on my experience I would expect those PLPC to be excellent and I would imagine they'll command quite a hefty price.

I will nominate my SLRDC 01 as some of the GOAT :D

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

mind you I have had plenty of 01 duds :D

Me too. I had some god-awful Hoyo and Monte around then. I remember some Hoyo Churchills from either 01 or 02 that were like bark with notes of roof shingles. Cardboard-tasting Monte 1 and 4. The short-lived RyJ Piramides were not good. 

Seems like most of the non-global brands were doing better. SLR was one, yes. Had some fantastic SLR Lonsdales from 00 or 01. RGCE, SP Molinos & Bachilleres, Punch Black Prince and many others were great in the early 2000s.

3 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

You're entirely correct on that point. '99 - '01 vintages are just a sore point for me because I experienced so many profoundly lousy cigars during that period that it put me off Habanos for a solid decade. I just can't imagine attempting to find the diamonds in the rough, much less paying a high premium for the privilege. 

Luckily I had been smoking CCs for several years before that so I knew it was a temporary dip, especially when I became aware that production had doubled between 1997 and 2001(and tripled between 1992-2001) and the struggles they were having with new strains. I held the course with the machine-mades and certain cigars until it broke in 2003-4. The shops I went to didn't have the best selection so I didn't know PL, RG, SLR and SP were still performing well until years later but they were.