2020 Version Two Nudies Maduro and Rosado N3 Carlota Reviews

JohnS

6 minutes ago, FireDigger said:

Thanks for the reviews! So the Nuddies are not 100% Cuban tobacco? Could someone enlighten me with the blend? I was not around when the first batch was released. Thanks!

I don’t recall the origin being disclosed other than being all NC. Whatever the origin, they’re crackers for sure!

• Like 1

I always thought that Maduro cigar is not only the Maduro wrapper, but also a mix of the rest cigar leaves. Is it a completely different blend or an old mix in a dark wrapper? Most Maduro wrappers for NC are artificially colored. Was it a natural Maduro?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

I always thought that Maduro cigar is not only the Maduro wrapper, but also a mix of the rest cigar leaves. Most Maduro wrappers for NC are artificially colored.

I can't speak on the Nudies, or most / any cigars, but a maduro wrapper can be a color, but also a process. A maduro wrapped cigar could have the same blend as a natural wrapped cigar, or a blender could also adjust the blend to account for the change in wrapper.

As for "most" NC maduro wrappers being artificially colored, surely some are, but I think that that's painting with a broad brush....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2020 at 8:19 PM, JohnS said:

689138463_2020-08-0911_28_49.jpg.d8ad4fb2d703dbce9c6daf8c209f37c4.jpg

2020 Nudies N3 Carlota (Maduro) Version Two

In 2019, Hamlet Paredes and Rob Ayala worked together to release the Nudies N1 Lancero and N3 Carlota. The N1 Lancero aimed to replicate the blend of the long-discontinued Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.1 and No.2. The N3 Carlota replicated the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3.

They were well-received by our members, with the consensus opinion that they were remarkably 'Cubanesque' for cigars utilising Non-Cuban tobacco. Construction on these cigars were consistently sound, the small team of rollers responsible for the rollout no doubt contributed to this consistency.

The 2020 Version Two Nudies has seen an additional Maduro-wrappered release for each vitola. I have been fortunate enough to have been sent a sample to test prior to their release at the end of 2020.

Prior to smoking this Maduro N3 Carlota, I must acknowledge my deferment to seeking out Maduro-wrappered cigars in general. The reason for this is because I feel that they tend to even out the overall blends of the cigars that carry these wrappers. What I mean by this is the Maduro wrappers are well-known for imparting cocoa or chocolate flavours and for my tastes I question whether they can sometimes subdue the subtlety of the blends in the rest of the cigar. Of course, this criticism can't be applied to all Habanos Maduro-wrappered releases, however I thought it prudent to admit my bias.

The 2020 N3 Carlotas are a 38 ring gauge by 152 mm (or 6 inches) in length vitola. The cold draw was similarly 'grassy' in feel as the 2019 versions, only this was 'rounder', that is, not as sharp. The very first puff revealed a wonderful anise or licorice sweet flavour which was the core flavour of the cigar from beginning to end. The expected cocoa/chocolate flavours were nowhere near as dominant as I thought they would be. Yes, they were there but they were wonderfully balanced together with the sourdough and leather. At times I got some cloved spice here and there, but only on occasion.

This cigar was a pleasant revelation. It was milder than the 2019 N3 Carlotas I've smoked, wonderfully complex and balanced. In summary, think of some of the finest darker-wrappered Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4's you've smoked being combined with a Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3, but not as 'toasty'. Now that would be a fine cigar indeed. And indeed this was!

1619265811_2020-08-0914_36_29.jpg.7c67a7370fd543f0c9b43e1e85e3d757.jpg

2020 Nudies N3 Carlota (Colorado) Version Two

Having sampled the Maduro-wrappered 2020 N3 Carlota today, I was eager to sample the Colorado-wrappered 2020 N3 Carlota to compare similarities and differences. The cold draw was more akin to the 2019 N3 Carlotas, that is it was much more distinctively 'grassy' and sharper.

The difference in wrappers was evident upon smoking from the first few puffs. This N3 Carlota was stronger in flavour, smoke output and more towards medium-mild to medium in strength. The anise or licorice flavours, sourdough and leather core was there; however I'd speculate that the absence of cocoa/chocolate upon this cigar gave me sentimental notes of Hoyo de Monterrey des Dieux woodiness and vanilla sweetness at times.

Unlike the original Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3, the overall texture or mouthfeel of this cigar was nowhere near as 'toasty'; rather it was more like a traditional Cuban cigar, more 'rounder' and slightly cream-like.

Overall, I'd consider both the Maduro and Colorado (or is it Rosado? - no doubt El Pres will confirm) N3 Carlotas an improvement over the debut 2019 N3 release. Their strongest appraisal both come from their much-admired tweaks to inspire more complexity in their blends.

My recent PSP HQ ABO JUL 19 RyJ Ex4s' wrapper shades are exactly same as that of 2020 Nudies N3 Carlota (Colorado) @JohnS. So, I bet my Ex4s and that N3 are Rosado ones IMHO.

Good to hear that N3 is much improved than its initial release ?

• Like 1

Cheers John, great comparison review :clap:

I will detail the blend once we have confirmed the final selection 

The maddy carlota has been a daily goto with coffee. Just a brilliant match. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Are these supposed to be a replacement/upgrade to the 2019 versions (meaning they should be "closer" to the PSdC3)? Or are they meant to be a completely different blend / taste profile (HdM DD)?

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to 2020 Version Two Nudies Maduro and Rosado N3 Carlota Reviews
On 8/11/2020 at 6:05 PM, Meklown said:

Are these supposed to be a replacement/upgrade to the 2019 versions (meaning they should be "closer" to the PSdC3)? Or are they meant to be a completely different blend / taste profile (HdM DD)?

I believe El Pres will discuss blend tweaks in time. A few of us hopped onto our FoH ZOOM channel last night and smoked the Lanceros. I will be putting up a side-by-side review in a few days (on the Lanceros). One thing we gleaned from our chat with El Pres was the difference in the way Nicaraguan wrapper is graded. These 'Natural' wrappers are labelled Rosado in Nicaraguan terms, for Cuban cigars they would be Colorado. I've since updated the titled of these reviews.

• Like 2