Por Larranaga Panatelas - green stain on band

I recently received a box of Por Larranaga Panatelas.  I opened the box and some of the cigars were stuck together at the band.  There was also a green discoloration at the band.  At first I thought it was mold, but it's only on the band, nowhere on the wrapper or at the foot.  I did a search and found one "review" on another retailers site that described this on a box of PLPC. 

... the bands started changing color (patches of green). Had me worried it was mold, but it was just a reaction in the ink on the band. 

Anyone else experience this?  Really just looking for assurance, "it's nothing to worry about."  Pics attached.  Thanks for looking.

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

• Like 1

There is something with those PL bands. I have seen this issue before in the past. Maybe somebody can weigh in as to why this happens. 

• Like 2

I've seen it on almost any band that has the "gold" printing, especially older LGC bands.  I'm pretty sure it's the normal process of it reacting with the atmosphere over time.  Just like copper pipes, roofs, the Statue of Liberty, etc. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Looks like metallic oxidation in the ink. 

How are the cigars?

Don’t know yet, just got em. Will report back in a few weeks once they’ve rested.

16 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Soylent Green!

What exactly are you concerned about? I can assure you, nobody has ever made a fake PL Panetelas. They are genuine. If you're concerned about being poisoned, remove the band. 

As others have noted, green stains are common, particularly on PL. 

I am not really concerned anymore thanks to all of you who replied. I was never concerned they were fake. They took a long time getting here and the heat has been insane.  I was afraid they may have molded, but like I said earlier, I noticed it was only the band. I did do a search, but found nothing except the quote in my original post. Maybe I didn't search the right phrase? I've never seen it before and figured if anyone would know, it would be you guys. So thank you. 

They smell great.  And the other cigars that came with look beautiful.  

• Like 1

I’m a printing press operator by trade, inks that use metallic pigment oxidize over time especially with cigars being stored in a humid environment. I believe gold colored bands use copper pigment in the ink and over time it turns green like an old penny, nothing to worry about 

100 percent correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 3:48 PM, unclepauly25 said:

I’m a printing press operator by trade, inks that use metallic pigment oxidize over time especially with cigars being stored in a humid environment. I believe gold colored bands use copper pigment in the ink and over time it turns green like an old penny, nothing to worry about 

Yup. It's basically just patina. Sell it to a hipster. Call it "distressed".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was rotating my smokes yesterday or the day before and came across a Boli jr that had that green plume on the band.
Only one from the box. The box is from ETP Feb 17. Didn't have me worried so rotated as usual.
Figured it wasn't some left over cyanide meant for Castro. So back in the humicooler it went.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, PaulPower said:

Copper oxidation is speed up by a number of things, but ammonia is one of the big ones. My guess would be that the tobacco was underaged when rolled. May want to give those some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure, lit one up just to try it out and it was harsh. Will be putting these away for a few years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cleelv said:

For sure, lit one up just to try it out and it was harsh. Will be putting these away for a few years.

My box is dated ABR 18.  I tried a couple over the weekend.  They were surprisingly good.  A little rough at the start - bitter herbal/floral notes; but smoothed out to nice salty/sweet/woody (sorry, that's the best my palate can do). Pretty good for the price; 30 - 40 minutes.

23 hours ago, asmazda said:

Me too!  Seems kind of stupid the use such a band.

Looks good when clean, but agree that if it's such a common issue that they would think to fix.

22 hours ago, rudechuck said:

My box is dated ABR 18.  I tried a couple over the weekend.  They were surprisingly good.  A little rough at the start - bitter herbal/floral notes; but smoothed out to nice salty/sweet/woody (sorry, that's the best my palate can do). Pretty good for the price; 30 - 40 minutes.

Good to hear! Mine's MAR 19 so will put them away for a year and try again. The good thing about a 50 cab is that there's enough sticks to go around ?

On 8/22/2020 at 7:02 PM, cleelv said:

Good to hear! Mine's MAR 19 so will put them away for a year and try again. The good thing about a 50 cab is that there's enough sticks to go around ?

i have 6 boxes from MAR 19. Tried few cigars and they are already great.