Epicure especial

Currently working through a 2008 box (i should really try to stop myself they are insanely good)

interested to hear however how the current production are smoking?

Is it generally a consistent cigar?

How are aged examples smoking i.e 3-5 years?

I've only just finished a 2018 box and loved it.  Good construction. Nice flavors of nuts, cedars, milk chocolate and baking spices.  Have not smoked anything older/younger though personally. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StogieSteve23 said:

I've only just finished a 2018 box and loved it.  Good construction. Nice flavors of nuts, cedars, milk chocolate and baking spices.  Have not smoked anything older/younger though personally. 

Sounds lovely, no cream though?

I’ve got a couple 25 cabs from 2019 (my first FOH purchase) and I think they are terrific. Creamy and more twangy than sweet at this age but they should develop that sweetness over time and the construction has been flawless for the 5 or 6 I’ve smoked so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dan benhamou said:

Sounds lovely, no cream though?

Admittedly, I don't get much "cream" from any stick.  Must be my taste buds but I know (as stated on this thread) many other do get that flavor. 

One of the first boxes of CC I purchased was a 10 count of these.   The first couple were good cigars.  After about 2 years of age they really started to shine.   They seemed very consistent with their flavor profile and they burned razor sharp.   Coffee, cream, spongecake.  I actually won a box of 10 with 2018 date code for a weekend review.   I have not smoked one from that box but I have given out 3.   That reminds me to stop giving them out LOL.   They were to good friends who will enjoy them so no worries.

• Thanks 1

Something I've observed about this cigar which is an enduring mystery for me is that it is always on sale - I just checked four well known online retailers, and it is currently on special at three of time. I first picked it up a few years ago when I was in a multiple LCDHs in different countries within a few weeks, and all of them tried to push it on me.

There's no other cigar that I've observed being on sale nearly as frequently. I have no idea as to why this would be, other than maybe HSA overproduces them for some reason, but this state of affairs has gone on for at least five years so you'd think it would have sorted itself out if that was the case.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ATGroom said:

Something I've observed about this cigar which is an enduring mystery for me is that it is always on sale

I'll add that I don't think I've ever seen any of the Hoyo Epicures out of stock. 1, 2 and EE are always there. I have actually seen both Monte 4 and PSD4 out of stock at times, but not the Epicures.

I would assume both high production and high margins on them. 

For the record, the Epicure de Luxe is my personal preference which is rarely on sale.

Smoking through a 10 from 2018 and while there have been a few construction issues (a couple plugged sticks) the flavors are fantastic across the box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1