Humidor Looted

I feel for the poor bugger.  You bust your arse and then this. 

Positive vibes to him, his staff and his family. 

Humidor Looted 

https://www.startribune.com/attacks-pandemic-a-gut-punch-for-chicago-s-famed-magnificent-mile/572120592/

ows_89ffb722-60bf-486e-b566-e751fa8283d9

Neil Mehra, owner of the Hubbard & State Cigar Shop near Chicago’s Magnificent Mile, stood near a humidor after looters stole merchandise and cash.

CHICAGO – Neil Mehra’s cigar shop just off Chicago’s Michigan Avenue wouldn’t normally share much in common with big brand-name stores such as Tiffany’s and Saks Fifth Avenue, whose boutiques sit on the choicest spots on the city’s most iconic street.

But they share foreboding over whether the economics and reputation of one of America’s most prestigious shopping districts can rebound from damage done by hours of looting last Monday in and around the mile-long strip known as the Magnificent Mile.

Mehra’s Hubbard & State Cigar Shop was hit by similar smash-and-grab attacks in late May, when some took advantage of protests over the death of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis to break into stores. Monday’s looting came as businesses had begun reopening amid pandemic-related disruptions.

By the time Mehra rushed to his store Monday, nearly everything of value was gone, with rows of shelves stripped clean of high-end cigars worth up to $800 a box. Stepping through the rubble, he realized the thieves even made off with his safe and the $5,000 in it. He estimated his losses this time at more than $75,000.

“I almost cried,” said Mehra, sitting in a chair at his store under a framed photo of Chicago Bulls great Michael Jordan, a cigar aficionado. “This is my life. I really don’t know if we’re going to survive this.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Sad times in America right now.  

It is, but this has always been part of our history. Civil unrest, protest, and the inevitable jackwagons who just loot and riot. While staying away from politics, I rather see people mad than apathetic. But looters are criminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, teamrandr said:

Sad times in America right now.  

Just in the large cities.  No problems anywhere else.

Poor guy, hope his insurance covers it.  Imagine working your whole life and some POS comes in and wrecks it for a couple of bucks.

• Like 1

I work 5 minutes from there ... we have 2 high end stores... cars and watches in 1.... both riots affected our ultra high end store .... just from the first riot In stolen keys alone we lost more than that .... it’s sad really people who live nearby and work nearby are affected in sooo many ways.

Poor guy. If it was my shop I would have slept in it with an AR-15 and 1,000 rounds. Right to protect self and property. Bastards. Nothing to do with protesting just scum criminals. 

Literally 30 seconds from me the owner and his 2 sons did as u said ... the protected most of their block ... it’s a bad thing though lots can go the wrong way quick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BTWheezy said:

I just called the store, asking if they had a GoFundMe page available.  The guy I spoke with said they did, but one of the owners felt it wasn’t in line with the image they wanted to project in light of current events, so they took it down.  I understand their situation, and let him know that there are a lot of cigar enthusiasts that support small business owners like him, and wished him the best going forward.  He seemed very appreciative.

Sending him good vibes from the back deck in Seattle...

- Wheezy

Brian, very nice of you here.  Wish they still had the GoFundMe as I'm sure lots of us would contribute.  

Terrible situation here.  These scumbag looters deserve to have a huge kick of justice in the nuts and serious prison time for everything they've done.. Not just here but all over the country. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DBNInc said:

Just in the large cities.  No problems anywhere else.

Poor guy, hope his insurance covers it.  Imagine working your whole life and some POS comes in and wrecks it for a couple of bucks.

Insurance policies usually has an escape clause when it comes to rioters, looting, or civil unrest.

I feel for the guy.  Truly sucks.

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

“I almost cried,” said Mehra, sitting in a chair at his store under a framed photo of Chicago Bulls great Michael Jordan, a cigar aficionado. “This is my life. I really don’t know if we’re going to survive this.”

Almost? I would have cried if someone looted the very small selection I have at my home. - Forget it, if it was this volume/amount and my own business.

• Like 2

Have been there many times to pick up a single or two from Neil after dinner in the neighborhood. Such a shame to hear about this. Hope he can come out of this stronger. 

Have bought many many lighters from him over the years. Before the travel ban hit River North was basically my second (or maybe third) home as my parent company is based in Chicago. I have alot of co-workers who live in/around that area, such a nice place with alot of great people. I miss it quite a bit. Hard to watch some of the videos.