For those that also mix in a NC (Non-Cuban), what brands/ lines are you smoking?

So I tend to smoke roughly 50/50 CC to NC these days and for the past few years. I just wonder what non Cuban cigars you are all choosing to smoke by choice. I realize this answer will probably matter more on location then anything. 

I'm in the US where we have a plethora of sticks that are NC (mostly terrible ligero bombs of strength and spice only) and new donkey dick 50-60 ring size cigars nearly every day. For someone who smokes panatellas, minutos, coronas, lonsdales, and lanceros it's a tough selection of limited crap (everything seems to be limited these days in CC and NC) I'm interested in especially hearing from those outside the US that are choosing to smoke NC's  by choice when CC are available easily. My rotation is simple but many are now out of production.

AF Opus X Petit Lancero

LFD LG Lancero (discontinued)

LFD Coronado Lancero (discontinued)

AF Rosado Sungrown Magnum 44

AF Don Carlos Lancero

AF Spanish Lonsdale

AF Anejo Shark and 888

Davidoff Puro d' Oro Delicioso & Notables (discontinued)

Davidoff Short Perfecto, Colorado Claro

Tatajue El Triunfador Lancero 

La Aroma de Cuba EE Minuto (discontinued)

So what's in your daily/ scheduled rotation?

• Like 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tats can be fairly rough and heavy when fresh, especially when you are used to CC. I find the brown labels in particular really come into their own at around 5 years. I think the thought that NC cigar

I would take a look at some of the boutique makers, as well. I've found a lot of success in the Illusione Brand, especially their Original Line (try the "HL" natural lancero), Epernay, and Haut 10. Ad

So I tend to smoke roughly 50/50 CC to NC these days and for the past few years. I just wonder what non Cuban cigars you are all choosing to smoke by choice. I realize this answer will probably matter

I smoked NC since 2009. Dabbled into CC in 2014 then back to NC until the last year where I have been hitting CC HARD. Between 2014 and now I was really digging nearly anything made by Aganorsa Leaf (Fernandez). That included Warped, Illusione and some Casa Fernandez lines. Within the last year I find very little enjoyment with them anymore. They just seem so bland and boring. 

I am now smoking a blend of fresh CC along with some Cubans I bought back in the 2013-2014 window. NC are still mixed in. I have aged Opus X, some Padrons (Not the boring anniversary ones ?) and a plethora of aged Tatuaje. I have also come upon a source for half price Oliva Melanios so I have been smoking them too. 

• Like 1

I would take a look at some of the boutique makers, as well. I've found a lot of success in the Illusione Brand, especially their Original Line (try the "HL" natural lancero), Epernay, and Haut 10. Additionally, I would look at Foundation and Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust. Each was started by former blenders at Drew Estate. From Foundation, I think that The Tabernacle Havana Seed is a standout, as well as the El Gueguense. From Dunbarton, I would try the Sobremesa and the Mi Querida and Mi Querida Triqui Traca (I think that the 648 is better than the 552). 

If you venture into Drew Estate and can find the Herrera Esteli Habano Limited Edition Lancero's, they are a really great smoke. From their Liga line, I would stick to the Unico Series, as I generally think that those blends are better, however, it purely personal. The L40 and the UF-13 are my favorites from there.

P.S. Foundation makes a lancero in almost all of their main line blends. One of the reasons that I really like them, actually

• Like 3

Davidoff No 1, No 2, Royal Salamones, 50th anniversary and 100 year salamones

Ashton VSG Sorcerer

Padron 1964 Natural in various sizes, 45th anniversary, 50th anniversary

Fuente God of Fire 2008 and 2012

Have tons of Fuente Opus X that are now 5 years old, but never really get to them.  Wonder if I can sell them.

Top NC's in rotation now:

- Illusione Epernay 

- Illusione Haut 10 

- RoMa Craft Neanderthal (this is a powerhouse but very flavorful)

- The T maduro by AJ Fernandez, Matt Booth, and Robert Caldwell. I'm a big Room 101 fan (Booth) and this collab is fantastic. Don't sleep on this one, its a great stick. 

- Joy De Nicaragua Silver - great cigar at a low price. Beautiful box press and they have all smoked well with lots of smoke and a great burn 

- Sin Compromiso by Steve Saka (Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust) 

- Southern Draw Cedrus - Try anything from Southern Draw if you get the chance. I have never been disappointed and this one is a standout 

• Like 1

I've been on a Illusione CG4 and Roma Craft Mode 5 kick lately. I usually have a few Don Carlos #2s, My Father Le Bijou torpedo, and Ashton VSGs in my humidor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zigarrenziggy said:

I would take a look at some of the boutique makers, as well. I've found a lot of success in the Illusione Brand, especially their Original Line (try the "HL" natural lancero), Epernay, and Haut 10. Additionally, I would look at Foundation and Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust. Each was started by former blenders at Drew Estate. From Foundation, I think that The Tabernacle Havana Seed is a standout, as well as the El Gueguense. From Dunbarton, I would try the Sobremesa and the Mi Querida and Mi Querida Triqui Traca (I think that the 648 is better than the 552). 

If you venture into Drew Estate and can find the Herrera Esteli Habano Limited Edition Lancero's, they are a really great smoke. From their Liga line, I would stick to the Unico Series, as I generally think that those blends are better, however, it purely personal. The L40 and the UF-13 are my favorites from there.

P.S. Foundation makes a lancero in almost all of their main line blends. One of the reasons that I really like them, actually

29 minutes ago, CountingStogies said:

Top NC's in rotation now:

- Illusione Epernay 

- Illusione Haut 10 

- RoMa Craft Neanderthal (this is a powerhouse but very flavorful)

- The T maduro by AJ Fernandez, Matt Booth, and Robert Caldwell. I'm a big Room 101 fan (Booth) and this collab is fantastic. Don't sleep on this one, its a great stick. 

- Joy De Nicaragua Silver - great cigar at a low price. Beautiful box press and they have all smoked well with lots of smoke and a great burn 

- Sin Compromiso by Steve Saka (Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust) 

- Southern Draw Cedrus - Try anything from Southern Draw if you get the chance. I have never been disappointed and this one is a standout 

I love illusione! I would also recommend trying the Fume D' Amour line, and the Singulare line, excellent smokes all of them!

I also have found that Aladino makes some really nice(and wallet friendly) sticks. Im fond of the Davidoff Special R too.

* Don Carlos

* Hendrik Kelner's "Original Cubans" surprisingly good if not that powerful

* J C Newman's "knock offs" and "specialties"

* Finck Company's Lambs Club and other house specialties

• Like 1

Most consistent NC - Padron 1926 Series # 35 Natural's from 2011 & 2014

Padron 1964 Anniversary PC's both Natural (2012) and Maduro (2013)

AF R44's from 2016

Oliva Serie V Lancero's, Robusto's, Belicoso's and Torpedo's (2017 through 2019)

And the best tasting NC right now - Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua Concerto from 2016

Another vote for illusione, specifically the CG:4 such a brilliant rich cigar.

I like liga privada for a change of pace, the flying pig is something everyone should try once

Toscano classicos again are something I think everyone should try once

There's brilliant cigars out there when people out real passion and experience into a product. 

• Like 1

During this lockdown i've actually gone deep buying NCs. THey're very competitively priced and right now seems a good time to buy a whole heap. The dirty bastards formerly known "Perth FOH Brothers" have been going to this new lounge and have all turned to the dark side and abandoned the light of the CC leaf. I fear their betrayal has been contagious. I haven't smoked any of what i've bought though so can't give you my opinion.

I've bought recently;

AF Best seller, Trinidad Esperitu, Rocky payel Flor be san andres black, sobremesa brulee, illusione epernay, hamlet puro cubano, liga papa fritas, AJ Hupman, alec bradley project 40, Herrera Estelli, and got some of the NC cuban brands, LGC, SLR, partagas heritage, bolivar, hoyo excalibur.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

I've bought recently;

AF Best seller, Trinidad Esperitu, Rocky payel Flor be san andres black, sobremesa brulee, illusione epernay, hamlet puro cubano, liga papa fritas, AJ Hupman, alec bradley project 40, Herrera Estelli, and got some of the NC cuban brands, LGC, SLR, partagas heritage, bolivar, hoyo excalibur.

Can't speak on any except the AF - it was always my favorite of the Hemingway line. I've always found them to have a bit of a "sour bite" But for me, that's something I kind of like - more than anything, I'm tasting the tobacco. Let us know how you go.

Padron 1964 series and almost anything Tatuaje. 

I went into a local BM and the owner tried to sell me everything. Even this 80 ring gauge cigar that was about 9 inches in length (I almost gave it to my wife as an anniversary present). I laughed when she tried to sell it to me and asked if she actually sells them. She said they can’t keep them on the shelves. She also tried to sell me a $80 opus X BBMF. No thanks. 

• Haha 1

I was recently gifted a sampler box of various NC Montecristo, Upmann and RyJ Toros. I started smoking them with the lowest of expectations but I've been pleasantly surprised. If I had to be critical they have been a little one-dimensional and the draw has been quite loose.

I’m into Tatuaje and Illusione -  Both have a lot of thinner rg offerings, like the Tatuaje Skinny Monsters series. Most of the Illusione lines (Epernay, Fume d’Amour, OneOff) are available in Corona. ...and they’re not Ligero bombs.

54 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

its clearly just me because everyone raves about tat, but i just dont get it!! they don't taste like anythign special or any better than other good NCs to me....and ultimately a more pleasurable experience for me to go CC anyhow.....that said i do try NCs from time to time...i have really enjoyed cao brazilia box press in recent times 

Tats can be fairly rough and heavy when fresh, especially when you are used to CC. I find the brown labels in particular really come into their own at around 5 years. I think the thought that NC cigars are all just GTG right out of the B&M really hurts them. I cant think of one NC I've had that had not benefited from some rest, whether that be a few months or years.  

• Like 4

• JohnS changed the title to For those that also mix in a NC (Non-Cuban), what brands/ lines are you smoking?