For those that also mix in a NC (Non-Cuban), what brands/ lines are you smoking?

Fuente Don Carlos and Opus X. 
Padron 64, 26, and family reserve   

I had a 64 hermoso with a maduro wrapper the other day and It was incredible. It’s definitely something I will be having a box or two of on hand. I think that size flies under the radar but is definitely worth trying.  There’s plenty of great NCs but these are what I always come back too. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tats can be fairly rough and heavy when fresh, especially when you are used to CC. I find the brown labels in particular really come into their own at around 5 years. I think the thought that NC cigar

I would take a look at some of the boutique makers, as well. I've found a lot of success in the Illusione Brand, especially their Original Line (try the "HL" natural lancero), Epernay, and Haut 10. Ad

So I tend to smoke roughly 50/50 CC to NC these days and for the past few years. I just wonder what non Cuban cigars you are all choosing to smoke by choice. I realize this answer will probably matter

AF Opus X

AF Anejo

Padron - both regular lines and the anniversary lines

My Father - Le Bijou and La Opulencia lines

Aj Fernandez New World

I'll occasionally have something from LFD as well.

I still mostly smoke CCs.

I just bought non cubans of the cuban names... i couldnt bring myself to get a cohiba red dot. I got SLR, LGC Serie 3, Partagas Heritage, Bolivar, Hoyo Excalibur Cmaeroon. Anyone have opinions on these? i've always been curious more than anything.

57 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

I just bought non cubans of the cuban names... i couldnt bring myself to get a cohiba red dot. I got SLR, LGC Serie 3, Partagas Heritage, Bolivar, Hoyo Excalibur Cmaeroon. Anyone have opinions on these? i've always been curious more than anything.

NC versions of CC brands are fairly popular here in the US, although a lot of the more seasoned cigar smokers don’t find them all that exciting.  That said, some of the newer stuff they’ve been coming out with - the AJ Fernandez blends come to mind - seems to be accepted by a wider range of smokers and of the ones I’ve tried, most are a step in the right direction; I had an AJ Monte a while back that was surprisingly good.  

Of the the ones you listed I’ve smoked a few of them back when I smoked only NC.  None of them really stood out to me, but if you smoke mostly CC they might be a fun change of pace...?  

17 minutes ago, multi-useless said:

NC versions of CC brands are fairly popular here in the US, although a lot of the more seasoned cigar smokers don’t find them all that exciting.  That said, some of the newer stuff they’ve been coming out with - the AJ Fernandez blends come to mind - seems to be accepted by a wider range of smokers and of the ones I’ve tried, most are a step in the right direction; I had an AJ Monte a while back that was surprisingly good.  

Of the the ones you listed I’ve smoked a few of them back when I smoked only NC.  None of them really stood out to me, but if you smoke mostly CC they might be a fun change of pace...?  

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah i jsut wanted to try the raw NC brands to see what they're like. Ive heard the montes and even the red dots arent too bad. But yeah, not obviosuly expecting the cuban experience but at the price point doesnt hurt to try em.

• Like 1

The Red Dots are barely smokable imho.      If you want to smoke a Cameroon wrapper your best bet is the Fuente Hemingway, La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet or a Drew Estate Nirvana if available.

Padron 3000, 1964 Naturals

Perdomo BBA CT + LOT 23 CT

La Aurora Barrel Aged

Illusione Lancero

The more CCs I smoke, the less appealing and bland a lot of NCs become. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

Please do not judge NC off these cigars. The NC versions of CC brands are mass produced by conglomerates. Generally lower quality tobacco. Look into Boutique brands. Much of what people have mentioned thus far are the go to brands for a solid NC experience.   

• Like 2

Backwoods are pretty good with 4-5 years age. I have a box From 1997 that am going to try and slip onto BondRoberts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Warped, Tatuaje and Padron 1964.

I bought some NC mentioned by FOHers to see if they are that Cuban, just no. 

That doesn't mean they are no good smoke, in my hometown (TAIPEI, TAIWAN) it hit 35-37 ˚C usually in the mid summer this decade,

you need some tougher smoke with complexity outside in the 'much cooler' night (30˚C). 

Thanks for all the responses, this has been a productive thread. Interesting to see all the responses and variety. Seems like many enjoy different things in NC vs CC based on the responses as profiles are pretty spread out.

21 hours ago, djrey said:

Tats can be fairly rough and heavy when fresh, especially when you are used to CC. I find the brown labels in particular really come into their own at around 5 years. I think the thought that NC cigars are all just GTG right out of the B&M really hurts them. I cant think of one NC I've had that had not benefited from some rest, whether that be a few months or years.  

I tend to age all or almost all of my NC stock as well with the exception of white label Davidoff. I've had some Millennium lonsdales turn into hot air as well as as some of the lighter Fuentes. I find anything from Nicaragua really needs years to resemble anything I'd like.to smoke, as is the case with most Tats.

11 hours ago, smitte3 said:

Padron 3000, 1964 Naturals

Perdomo BBA CT + LOT 23 CT

La Aurora Barrel Aged

Illusione Lancero

The more CCs I smoke, the less appealing and bland a lot of NCs become. 

I'm finding mostly the same thing, with some exceptions. For someone who isn't into it for the huge pepper and nicotine hit, I find most NCs unbalanced or the really light ones have a very limited flavor palate and are best described as light and plesent at best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fokker4me said:

I tend to age all or almost all of my NC stock as well with the exception of white label Davidoff. I've had some Millennium lonsdales turn into hot air as well as as some of the lighter Fuentes. I find anything from Nicaragua really needs years to resemble anything I'd like.to smoke, as is the case with most Tats.

Totally agree. Pretty much all Dominicans are good to go with a few exceptions like Opus. Nearly all Nicaraguans do better with a few years. I think the whole ours are ready to smoke now claim was another attempt to keep people drinking the "there is no point in smoking Cuban cigars" koolaid. 

• Like 1

There was a time when my humi was filled with mostly NC's. I have tried so many and spent countless dollars searching. A basic stick in California is $8-12. A good stick $12 and up.
After a while I realized that I would be happier with a $5 to $10 Cuban stick any day and I have been. I can smoke my lower Cubans Vegueros, Parti shorts Boli jr's, San Cristobal, Monte 5 , and a bunch of RyJ. I have never turned back.
Why search and search when what I am looking for is right in front of me. (almost)
If I had to smoke NC's it would be.
Hemingway's only Nc that I will have space in the humi.
AJ Fernandez
Arganesese
Padron
My Father
Never got into boutique stuff as I would rather not gamble.
I will take a $9 Short Churchills and be happier than a pig in poop.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I still smoke a decent amount of NC's but few brands for the most part.  Mainly Tatuaje/Don Pepin/My Father, Fuente, Oliva, some Avo, Padron and a few other odds n ends singles from different brands that I enjoy. 

There was a time when my humi was filled with mostly NC's. I have tried so many and spent countless dollars searching. A basic stick in California is $8-12. A good stick $12 and up.

After a while I realized that I would be happier with a $5 to $10 Cuban stick any day and I have been. I can smoke my lower Cubans Vegueros, Parti shorts Boli jr's, San Cristobal, Monte 5 , and a bunch of RyJ. I have never turned back.

Why search and search when what I am looking for is right in front of me. (almost)

If I had to smoke NC's it would be.

Hemingway's only Nc that I will have space in the humi.

AJ Fernandez

Arganesese

Padron

My Father

Never got into boutique stuff as I would rather not gamble.

I will take a $9 Short Churchills and be happier than a pig in poop.

Yeah man, California (Walnut Creek) B&Ms are tough and expensive. I try to support them with accessories and occasionally purchases. It’s Hemingway or Padrons for me. The NC market are really hard to understand because there are so many players, and so many releases, and a lot of bad sticks and poor companies. The bad ones often cover their prepper bombs in fancy packaging or gimmicks. I don’t have the bandwidth or budget to really go exploring (or the desire). 95% of my cigar budget goes to Rob.

Yeah man, California (Walnut Creek) B&Ms are tough and expensive. I try to support them with accessories and occasionally purchases. It’s Hemingway or Padrons for me. The NC market are really hard to understand because there are so many players, and so many releases, and a lot of bad sticks and poor companies. The bad ones often cover their prepper bombs in fancy packaging or gimmicks. I don’t have the bandwidth or budget to really go exploring (or the desire). 95% of my cigar budget goes to Rob.

I try to support the local B&Ms by grabbing my Boveda packs and some custom rolls AJ makes for them. Owners are great people. The cost of everything in California is high but I enjoy living here.
Rob is definitely tops for me and the people I turned on to him feel the same.
The 3 other places I have used b4 here, 2 were a gamble and the other was really good. Rob and the gang are great. I appreciate all that they do for folks like you and me.
Stay cool been pretty brutal the last week. Also stay safe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davidv said:

my box worthy NC are 

most padron or davidoff

short story

liga L40 or dirty rat 

atabey

joya de nicaragua dark corojo or numero uno

padilla miami 8&11 lancero

southern draw rose sharon

nudies

The Padilla Miami 8&11 is a truly fantastic smoke! I had my last one about a year ago and ever since I have been depressed over never having that blend again. With Padilla finishing up the new factory, I hope we get some new sticks that are on par with that one. It was a real sleeper too, a bunch of my smoking buddies never gave it a shot and missed out. I'm always trying to find a dusty box on a B&M back shelf. That would be a score. 

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to For those that also mix in a NC (Non-Cuban), what brands/ lines are you smoking?