La Gloria Cubana Cetros

There is variation in the wrapper colours in the top row but it's not too bad. The colours on the bottom row though are all over the place.

The box pressing on the cigars does make them look old, I have seen similar box pressing on older dress boxes of Diplomaticos No. 1, RG Lonsdales, Punch Churchills etc. from 20 years old and more.

However, I've never seen such pronounced box pressing from a semi-boîte nature. I could be wrong, has anybody else seen such box-pressing in a SBN? 

If I had to guess, I'd say the cigars are 10-20 year old lonsdales from different dress boxes.

The color of the bands have various different shades on the bottom row, kind of like they've randomly been exposed to sunlight, could just be the photo though. That's all I could see but I don't know shit about vintage cigars. 

3 hours ago, Cubadust said:

The color of the bands have various different shades on the bottom row, kind of like they've randomly been exposed to sunlight, could just be the photo though.

I think you are quite right, seems not just the pic (but pic quality is crap for a decent assessment). At least it looks like two (or more) boxes having been combined, if not falsified. The shade of the paler bands is way off, that's for sure. If not for any other reason, I would stay off as a buyer, since this surely isn't an "honest" box (as I like to call it).

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

The box pressing on the cigars does make them look old, I have seen similar box pressing on older dress boxes of Diplomaticos No. 1, RG Lonsdales, Punch Churchills etc. from 20 years old and more.

However, I've never seen such pronounced box pressing from a semi-boîte nature. I could be wrong, has anybody else seen such box-pressing in a SBN? 

True, that box press is iffy. Have seen quite a bit deformation even in the odd sbn-cigar, in particular in 10-cnt, and in cases where sticks are not strictly rolled to their nominal ring gauge (i.e. wider). But this here really looks like a box-press. On the other hand, all Cuban Cervantes from spbs (such as those from ERDM, SLR, Diplo, Molinos, Clasicos etc.) usually sport a really heavy box-press. Perhaps that additional space in the sbn and time (?) allowed them to expand and round off a bit again. Difficult to tell from the pics.

In addition, what also stands out is the label on the bottom side. That "originality" label, which had been used on the inner side of dress boxes referring to checking the presence of the outer warranty seal, just doesn't make sense on the outside of a sbn. But can't say with certainty whether that had not occasionally been done as a case of 'CbC' back then.

5 hours ago, Fugu said:

I think you are quite right, seems not just the pic (but pic quality is crap for a decent assessment)

I saw that as well, but the pic is so poor and faded who knows. I would need to look at those cigars in person.

5 hours ago, Fugu said:

True, that box press is iffy

Thought that too, but you can't rule out that SBN having a slight box press. And the lid could have been closed for several decades. There actually weren't that many cigars that used SBN boxes during the 1970s. Monte Especiales 1/2, PSD4, Davidoff 1/2, Dunhills, Diplomaticos 1-7 (rare), Boli Coronas Grandes, QdO and HU EdR and the LGC Cetros of course. Not too many actual pics of those but I have seen some Davidoff No. 1/2 that appear to have a very slight box press. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was box size variation in those days. You have to err on the small side, not large, so it's possible IMO.

All in all, the pics would indicate at most "inconclusive" but nothing jumps out as obviously disqualifying from what I can see.

my gut call on this box and cigars is 

A = The presented top tier are in fact the last remaining 13 original cigars from this box.  The colour grading is good, the box pressing looks legit. These cigar are (I believe) the last remaining 13 original cigars in the box. i.e. the bottom tier + 1

B= The other 12 cigars are bullshit cigars taken from other boxes, wrapped in other LCG bands. 

Noticed the shade differences as well.

I've seen boxes like these called Frankensteins!

I just think these conclusions are a bit presumptuous taking into account the poor photo quality and weird lighting. Would a counterfeiter purposely select bands which are relatively easy to come by that have such drastic variation between them? 

I can certainly agree with Rob that the photos being this poor is more suspicious in and of itself than what can be seen in them. 

Regardless, I still grade this as "inconclusive" based on what I can see. I just don't think the pics and lighting are of sufficient quality to judge band and wrapper shade.

The La Gloria Cubana Cetros is a Lonsdale discontinued in the early 90's.
I have no idea of the provenance of this box and others members may like to comment on any red flags. 

1.jpg.1c473d1e81b545d148373dedcd1d9a8a.jpg

That one off kilter band is activating my OCD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, 99call said:

my gut call on this box and cigars is 

A = The presented top tier are in fact the last remaining 13 original cigars from this box.  The colour grading is good, the box pressing looks legit. These cigar are (I believe) the last remaining 13 original cigars in the box. i.e. the bottom tier + 1

B= The other 12 cigars are bullshit cigars taken from other boxes, wrapped in other LCG bands. 

Good call, my thoughts exactly.