Using Food Grade Silicon For Lining Tupperdor With Spanish Cedar

I asked @BoliDan about the best glue for lining tupperdor with spanish cedar. He recommended me to get food grade silicone for the best result and I only could find Novatio MS24 Ice on the market. Will this food grade silicon do the job for me ?? I'm planning to use it on Pelican 1060 Micro Case Travel Humidor Project as well, since I've always annoyed by Spanish Cedar being moved everytime I carry travel tupperdors in my laptop bag.

https://www.novatio.com/en/products/seal-bond-ms-24-ice

Silastic 748, Kason Rubba Seal Food Service, CRC Food Zone, just to name a few.

Look for silicone sealant that is ok for aquariums and home brewing. Thos should be food safe, if it doesn't specifically say on the label. Check the MSDS, just to be sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Silastic 748, Kason Rubba Seal Food Service, CRC Food Zone, just to name a few.

Look for silicone sealant that is ok for aquariums and home brewing. Thos should be food safe, if it doesn't specifically say on the label. Check the MSDS, just to be sure.

Thanks @Fuzz! Finding food grade silicone in Korea is rough mate, but I can find CRC Food Zone too fortunately ?.

3 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Novatio MS24 Ice

This stuff will work, but is total overkill. It looks like it's made to seal freezers while in use.

If that's what's easy to find and priced ok, knock it out and show us the results 

• Thanks 1

You're trying to adhere a porous material (wood) to a non-porous material (plastic). That always complicates your options. In my opinion, you're making this harder than it has to be.

I think you'd be better off just building an box from the cedar, which fits snugly into the plastic housing. Use 'titebond 3 wood glue' to join the boards of cedar to one another, or even just use a brad nailer.

Or go full Occam's Razor and just don't do it at all. I think the amount of time and effort you're going to put into this are going to vastly outweigh any potential benefits it may provide. Just use bovedas and call it a day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm of the opinion that you don't need spanish cedar for storing cigars. It was used in the past to keep humidity more stable. In today's world, this is no longer a problem. So i would skip it all. Or throw in one of the cedar pieces from an old box of cigars.

But if you are intent on using silicone, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063U2RWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JUdsFb8Y6J5RW.

Scuff the plastic a little to help adhesion.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for giving advice! I was saying that I would line tupperdor with Spanish Cedar sheets from cigar boxes as I couldn't source Spanish Cedar, but I bet Spanish Cedar sheets are porous material as well. Since Spanish Cedar sheets are thinner than Spanish Cedar wood, will food grade silicone work well on these sheets?

On 8/28/2020 at 12:51 AM, Connoisseur Kim said:

Thanks for giving advice! I was saying that I would line tupperdor with Spanish Cedar sheets from cigar boxes as I couldn't source Spanish Cedar, but I bet Spanish Cedar sheets are porous material as well. Since Spanish Cedar sheets are thinner than Spanish Cedar wood, will food grade silicone work well on these sheets?

At the end of the day, you're trying to glue in a thin sheet of cedar into a small box that doesn't 'need' it. I'd think that saturating the cedar with glue would nullify any humidification effect. But, if you like the aesthetic of cedar and the bit of shock absorption it may provide, you've got to do something with your time, right?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Çnote said:

At the end of the day, you're trying to glue in a thin sheet of cedar into a small box that doesn't 'need' it. I'd think that saturating the cedar with glue would nullify any humidification effect. But, if you like the aesthetic of cedar and the bit of shock absorption it may provide, you've got to do something with your time, right?

Yeah, I think it can be bad idea, since it's something like glueing porous material on non porous material with food grade silicone. I just can simply adding Spanish Cedar sheets and stop worrying about moving Cedar sheets instead ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 11:36 PM, Connoisseur Kim said:

Yeah, I think it can be bad idea, since it's something like glueing porous material on non porous material with food grade silicone. I just can simply adding Spanish Cedar sheets and stop worrying about moving Cedar sheets instead ?

This.

I have pieces of cedar sheet inserts from Cuban boxes to the bottom (under the foam) of my Cigar Caddy boxes in 5-stick, and the 18-24 stick larger one.  Just putting them there, under the foam, is fine, and they don't move around much (Cigar Caddy used some double-sided food-safe tape on those surfaces anyways, so nothing really "moves").

That said, if you decide to go with your original plan, that silicone will indeed be fine.  I used something with almost the exact same specifications, when I made my larger display cabinet humidor (you'd have to find the thread in the Humidor sub-forum).

If you use that silicone though, allow things to remain open and air-dry / air-out for at least 72 hrs, to let the vapours dissipate.  Also, I'd STRONGLY recommend to put an open box / bowl of Arm & Hammer / baking soda in there, to even moreso pull the additional odours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CanuckSARTech said:

This.

I have pieces of cedar sheet inserts from Cuban boxes to the bottom (under the foam) of my Cigar Caddy boxes in 5-stick, and the 18-24 stick larger one.  Just putting them there, under the foam, is fine, and they don't move around much (Cigar Caddy used some double-sided food-safe tape on those surfaces anyways, so nothing really "moves").

That said, if you decide to go with your original plan, that silicone will indeed be fine.  I used something with almost the exact same specifications, when I made my larger display cabinet humidor (you'd have to find the thread in the Humidor sub-forum).

If you use that silicone though, allow things to remain open and air-dry / air-out for at least 72 hrs, to let the vapours dissipate.  Also, I'd STRONGLY recommend to put an open box / bowl of Arm & Hammer / baking soda in there, to even moreso pull the additional odours.

Thanks @CanuckSARTech! Didn't notice that I have to use baking soda to remove silicone odours too buddy ?

7 minutes ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Thanks @CanuckSARTech! Didn't notice that I have to use baking soda to remove silicone odours too buddy ?

You don't "have to", but I and some others have found that it REALLY helps.  It's cheap, and pulls VOCs pretty good.

No matter what, any silicone is going to have some level of VOCs / odours when curing.  Whether it's food-safe or not, that doesn't matter (that's more about the finished product).  The thing to remember is to let things fully cure, and let the off-gassing occur, before you want to put your precious stogies in with them.

Remember, some types of adhesives and cement especially takes up to 30-days or so to fully cure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckSARTech said:

You don't "have to", but I and some others have found that it REALLY helps.  It's cheap, and pulls VOCs pretty good.

No matter what, any silicone is going to have some level of VOCs / odours when curing.  Whether it's food-safe or not, that doesn't matter (that's more about the finished product).  The thing to remember is to let things fully cure, and let the off-gassing occur, before you want to put your precious stogies in with them.

Remember, some types of adhesives and cement especially takes up to 30-days or so to fully cure.

Oh wow, this makes me just want to pick large Cedar sheets from Sir Winnie box and forget using silicone instead even more mate ?. It takes way longer than I expected ?

Yeah.  Just keep it simple - Cigar Caddy (or equivalent), with a small Boveda pack, and simple cedar sheet insert or two from inside of a SLB or so.

Honestly, the cedar is more for long-term aging benefit in your main humidors / coolerdors (think 3+ years to notice a difference).  And as for moisture benefit, those mini Boveda packs are probably at least a 10-to-1 benefit (just a guestimate / IMO) compared to the moisture in a cedar sheet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CanuckSARTech said:

Yeah.  Just keep it simple - Cigar Caddy (or equivalent), with a small Boveda pack, and simple cedar sheet insert or two from inside of a SLB or so.

Honestly, the cedar is more for long-term aging benefit in your main humidors / coolerdors (think 3+ years to notice a difference).  And as for moisture benefit, those mini Boveda packs are probably at least a 10-to-1 benefit (just a guestimate / IMO) compared to the moisture in a cedar sheet.

Boveda packs can have cedar smells when they're stored in tupperdors with Spanish Cedar sheets for long time. Too bad that I can't get 8g 65RH Boveda packs in my country unlike 60g and 320g packs.

11 minutes ago, Oscar300 said:

Cigar Caddy on Twitter: "Loaded Cigar Caddy posted by: @cuervocigars .  Thanks for the tag. • #cigarcaddy #cigar #cigars #cigarsociety  #smokingbuddy #habanos #cigarlife #botl #cuervocigars #cuervocigarsllc  #xikar #cigaraficionado #botl #cigarcollector ...

That's a good way to use Travel Humidor buddy! I also found Pelican R60 Ruck case, which has organizers inside (good for placing cigar tools and Boveda pack). It'll be my small travel humidor for sure!

pelican-ruck-r60-large-ruck-divider-case