"Epicentro", new documentary film about Cuba

I watched it last night.

Well worth it for me but I could see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

It seems to be commenting on a number of things. The meaning of "Utopia", life in Cuba, imperialism, propaganda.

Tourists are shown in some of their lowest forms.

The stars of the show are the two girls (about 10 years old). I've rarely seen such thoughtful, insightful, knowledgeable and charming kids. Worth it for those scenes alone. And some of the photography is beautiful, but it's Cuba. It's a photogenic place.

Thanks Andy. Looks interesting and a World Cinema Grand Jury Prize winner for Documentaries.

Available on Film Streams at Home - may watch it tonight.

In the trailer the woman playing a guitar like instrument is most likely Venezuelan. The instrument is called a "Cuatro" (four strings) and the song she is singing is "Gaita" a traditional country song from western Venezuela that is popular at Christmas time. The Cuatro is used nowhere else in the world but Venezuela. Hawaii has a Ukulele (4 strings) is similar size but does not produce the same sound. Cuba has a similar instrument in size "El Tres" but is 6 strings grouped very closely in groups of two. Traditional songs from Cuba that would be similar to this is called "La Controversia" but that is one guitar player/singer challenging another with a full size guitar. Bombs in the bathtub, not even Hollywood can think of this. John

13 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

In the trailer the woman playing a guitar like instrument is most likely Venezuelan. The instrument is called a "Cuatro" (four strings) and the song she is singing is "Gaita" a traditional country song from western Venezuela that is popular at Christmas time. The Cuatro is used nowhere else in the world but Venezuela. Hawaii has a Ukulele (4 strings) is similar size but does not produce the same sound. Cuba has a similar instrument in size "El Tres" but is 6 strings grouped very closely in groups of two. Traditional songs from Cuba that would be similar to this is called "La Controversia" but that is one guitar player/singer challenging another with a full size guitar. Bombs in the bathtub, not even Hollywood can think of this. John

That woman is Oona Chaplin, Charlie's grandaughter, she played Robb Stark's short-lived wife in "Game of Thrones". She has spent quite a bit of time since childhood in Cuba.

At the end of the film she plays a song by Kelvis Ochoa, so she is familiar with Cuban music. She's very good in this. There's a brief scene where she gives an acting lesson to the kids and you can see them soaking it up. 

The "bombs in the bathtub" is a reference to how moving pictures of the Maine exploding were shown to US audiences, even though there were no cameras to record it happening. Nobody in the film is denying that the Maine blew up of course, though the cause is questioned which is par for the course in Cuba. But the kids in the movie, in a lesson about cinema and propaganda given in part by Oona Chaplin, are made to question how it, and other images from the Spanish-American war, were filmed. 

Then she is not playing the instrument or singing as that is not her voice in the trailer. Looking up her videos no guitar playing and in her bio no mention of it. From what I understand her visits to Cuba were limited to film festivals that her mom attended once a year. BTW, all of those expression the kids blurt out are Fidelisms that they teach in grade school. Not to discredit anything Oona does but she is a B actress in a D propaganda movie. I just seems if you are going to portray Cuban life you should use Cuban actresses, sing Cuban songs, play Cuban instruments. 

With all respect...the only documentaries about Cuba that could tell the entire story, wouldn't be allowed to be made in Cuba...

The only documentary that I would recommend that is 100% true is called "Plantados"...my grandfather was there live and in person to witness all that is said in this doc... 

• Like 1