Is self-control possible? Should I buy another coolidor?

About one month ago I bought a 120-qt cooler on sale for half price. I had a couple of boxes en route and nowhere to store them besides desktop humidors where I'd have to store the cigars outside their boxes.

I figured 120-qt is too big, but always get more storage seems to be the mantra, so it seemed like a good idea. So I had a 120-qt cooler with 3 boxes in it.

Fast forward one month and I'm 32 boxes in. Most of which are still on the way. But I'm now pretty much out of storage.

I don't regret anything. But this makes me wonder.

Specifically whether I should get another coolidor. Again 32 boxes is a lot, at least to me. I'd never bought more than 3 or 4 boxes a year before, and generally one at a time at that (cheapies for the most part with a 10 box of more premium cigars every once in a while). But 32 boxes is not quite a lifetime supply.

This is more a question I have to answer for myself, but still wonder at everyone's opinions. Will I be able to get another cooler and buy the occasional box, or am I going to face a repeat of this past month?

Of course if history is any indication, getting a cooler would be an expensive decision...

But as a postscript I'm in Canada and never ordered online before this, so the cooler is not solely to blame (this will be clearer if you have some idea of cigar taxation in Canada). That plus several months of work from home (so that I've smoked over 200 cigars so far this year).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Current state of the two coolidors. First one cheap and cheerful. Second one the more premium boxes.

Ramsey: How do you like that cigar? Hunter: It’s good, sir. Ramsey: It’s your first? Hunter: Yeah. Ramsey: Well, don’t like it too much. They’re more expensive than drugs. Crimson Tide

The answers to your questions are, of course: NO and YES! ?

Yes. Simple answers. As above, no and yes....

Sorry for your luck to find this hobby!

• Like 3

No regrets here either but there is a paradox w getting more space. You will overfill it and then need more space. 

Unless your storage area has quick swings in temp, you may want to consider other sealed storage options that are less expensive that coolers. 

I bought my second 42 quart weathertight storage box on 7/31. It’s already pretty much full. They are made by Tupperware but have a gasket and latches to keep the top on. Not sure if it’ll be the same branding up north as in the states, but others here use for long term storage as I do as well. Coolidor is for open boxes and singles before going upstairs. That unit gets a weekly opening. The others have largely stayed closed and w acclimated boxes stayed at 65rh without any beads or bovedas. 

now the Coolidor has plenty of heartfelt beads for the acclimation magic. 

between the less expensive storage and no need for beads in the extra long term storage containers, it’s like I saved money for more cigars. 

I have hygrometers in both units facing out so I can check on my weekly romp at the Coolidor to make sure all is well. So far, very good. 

But as to your ultimate question, yes buy more storage. It’s a very slippery slope this smoking and collecting thing...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

Unless your storage area has quick swings in temp, you may want to consider other sealed storage options that are less expensive that coolers. 

AC comes on in the evening and drops temperature 5-6 degrees F in about 1-2 hours. Probably similar swing with heat in the winter. Don't know if that justifies the cooler.

On the other hand the cooler on sale (50% off) cost less than any of the boxes it contains at about $75 USD. It's now only 30% off, so just over $100 USD.

I was so happy about saving money on the cooler, I didn't realize what the ultimate cost would be :)

Again no regrets.

3 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

If you are out of storage, your best choice is to get more storage. Coolerdors are cheap and super efficient. Your buying is not going to magically stop. 

My buying reduced significantly. Of course I do have several boxes in flight from the Oz locker.

Still pull the trigger on the occasional box, too.

Once we IPO, S1 filed this week, I may get back into hunting vintage from trusted friends and shops.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

If you are out of storage, your best choice is to get more storage. Coolerdors are cheap and super efficient. Your buying is not going to magically stop. 

This.  You’re not gonna stop buying, then you’re gonna be forced to buy a cooler at full price and wish you had purchased it on sale.

Gotta face facts; if we had self control, we wouldn’t be on this site.  To thine own self be true!

7 hours ago, Bijan said:

AC comes on in the evening and drops temperature 5-6 degrees F in about 1-2 hours. Probably similar swing with heat in the winter. Don't know if that justifies the cooler.

On the other hand the cooler on sale (50% off) cost less than any of the boxes it contains at about $75 USD. It's now only 30% off, so just over $100 USD.

I was so happy about saving money on the cooler, I didn't realize what the ultimate cost would be :)

Again no regrets.

Go with the cooler.  Price difference is negligible, plus with a cooler your current or future significant other won’t be able to see the accumulation as easily in passing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Did I read that right 32 total boxes - 3 already have = 29 boxes in route at once?  Geesh!

I've received 9 since the original 3, so at 12 now. 20 en route, of which 6 haven't even shipped yet...

Covid shipping times to blame.

Edit: But yes geesh indeed :)

As I’ve said many times, smoking cigars isn’t addictive, buying them sure as hell is. Buy as many cigars as you can afford, prices keep going up like crazy and I live in the one country where their tax and duty free. Cigars that were $200 a box less than 10 years ago are now around $400, I don’t want to think about Canadian prices?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mrmessy said:

Better start looking at converting a closet to a walk-in humidor.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

The cooler is currently in my little cold storage room, just off my basement's main storage room. Nothing else stored there except dried beans and lentils. If I add a heater for the winter  (though I might not need it, haven't really measured the temperature in winter since I've never really cared) and regulate the humidity it would work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrmessy said:

If it stays above 60, just bump up the rh and do it.@PigFish may have more insight into changing temp and rh over seasons, but you may not need a heater then.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I always get this wrong, but isn't it lower humidity at lower temperature for the same moisture content in the cigars.

I always have to refer to @PigFish's video (graph at 10 minute mark):

Based on that graph 65F 60% RH is 12% cigar moisture content.

But 80F 60%RH is 10 point something cigar moisture content.

I'm currently storing at around 64% RH at around 67F. Based on @PigFish's rule of 1%RH change per 3F change, I guess I should do 62% at 60F.

If that's the case I can swap my 65% boveda for 62% boveda.

Edit: That is for the coolidor, if I turn the room into a walk in humidor I'll just dial down the humidity on whatever the system is. I'm obviously not buying a room's worth of Boveda :)

Barring a tragedy, storing boxes of cigars is not lost money.  You can sell them later on for at least what you paid usually.  Inflation, aging, taxes; all work to your advantage if you store cigars.

• Like 3