Is self-control possible? Should I buy another coolidor?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Current state of the two coolidors. First one cheap and cheerful. Second one the more premium boxes.

Ramsey: How do you like that cigar? Hunter: It’s good, sir. Ramsey: It’s your first? Hunter: Yeah. Ramsey: Well, don’t like it too much. They’re more expensive than drugs. Crimson Tide

The answers to your questions are, of course: NO and YES! ?

2 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Got the second cooler yesterday.

Here's the current state of cooler one. Mainly smaller boxes so far.

20200831_131020.jpg

Still tons of room in there! Just wait until you have trouble closing the lid and then it is tetris time every time you go in! I had to label the top of my coolers so I know what is in them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rckymtn22 said:

Still tons of room in there! Just wait until you have trouble closing the lid and then it is tetris time every time you go in! I had to label the top of my coolers so I know what is in them.

Yeah. I have 16 more boxes incoming, but I think I overestimated due to the smaller average size of my boxes, especially the ones I already have.

Edit:

As to labelling I have a spreadsheet with all boxes, I'll just have to indicate which box. Though once I get to Tetris level, I might have to draw out where everything is...

I think as cigar smokers we always find a reason to add space, fill what space we have or purchase more boxes. "Great deal by a box or 2", " I been waiting for these to come up on 24:24"
A few years back when I was smoking 2-3 sticks a day I realized nothing would age. Someone on a forum said " To be able to have cigars that age, you have 2 choices Buy more cigars or stop smoking the ones you have".
I actually did the latter for 2 years believe it or not. These days I only have 1-3 cigars a week. I find it more enjoyable instead of smoking to smoke. Definitely ready to purchase a couple of more boxes. Any ways do what makes you happy. A bunch of aged stock is definitely a very good thing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pag said:

A few years back when I was smoking 2-3 sticks a day I realized nothing would age. Someone on a forum said " To be able to have cigars that age, you have 2 choices Buy more cigars or stop smoking the ones you have".
I actually did the latter for 2 years believe it or not.

I've started doing a bit of both. Buying more and cutting down. Cutting down is often not difficult with Canadian winter and Canadian prices.

I went a little crazy at the beginning of the WFH period (2-3 cigars a day same as you). But I'm down to one a day or less. Probably 3-5 a week now.

• 3 months later...

Resistance is futile. As you see prices go up you will regret not getting more when they were “cheap”. 

How many boxes you get and how many storage boxes you have is a function of how deep a collection you want and your tolerance for the costs. 

I never thought I would have filled a large Coolidor. Now I have two that are full and two 46 quart Iris westherguard containers that are also full. I am about to the point where I will limit my acquisitions to maintenance and loading up on favorites good buys or new sticks to try. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tstew75 said:
If you're in the states, grab these...they're bomb. Airtight & foolproof, and stack well in a closet. American made. They also have a 74qt, but I tend to prefer the slightly smaller 63qt. Many online retailers carry them, including The Container Store & Home Depot.

I will second these. Running a few right now and all of them are rock solid holding humidity. Highly recommend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tstew75 said:

If you're in the states, grab these...they're bomb. Airtight & foolproof, and stack well in a closet. American made. They also have a 74qt, but I tend to prefer the slightly smaller 63qt. Many online retailers carry them, including The Container Store & Home Depot.

I'm in Canada amazon.ca seems to carry the larger ones in 4 packs, but oddly the 74qt is slightly cheaper than the 63qt. The 63qts are about half the cost of my coolers. 252qts for $150 Canadian vs about $250-$300 for 240qts with the coolers.

9 minutes ago, ReturnFreeRisk said:

Would agree cooler likely better value. Admittedly, I supported the Bezos family Christmas a bit too much in order to have the clear and stackable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stackable would definitely be useful to me. I've run out of floor space in the cold storage room for coolers. There's a home-made shelving unit and a set of two shelves on the other two parts of the room, which I can take apart to put more coolers in. But I could probably stack 4 of these on top of the two coolers as is.

On the other hand the clear nature is decidedly a disadvantage for me.

My wife practically never goes into the cold storage room (even though we store dry foods there). She knows I store my cigars there and she knows it's in the two coolers, and she's perfectly happy that I'm keeping things tidy and making use of the underused room but I think seeing all the cigars might be different...

Stackable would definitely be useful to me. I've run out of floor space in the cold storage room for coolers. There's a home-made shelving unit and a set of two shelves on the other two parts of the room, which I can take apart to put more coolers in. But I could probably stack 4 of these on top of the two coolers as is.
On the other hand the clear nature is decidedly a disadvantage for me.
My wife practically never goes into the cold storage room (even though we store dry foods there). She knows I store my cigars there and she knows it's in the two coolers, and she's perfectly happy that I'm keeping things tidy and making use of the underused room but I think seeing all the cigars might be different...
Line them with brown parcel paper or just go hands up and tell her Yes, I have a big 'ol pile of cigars, next question.
Depends what your conscience/cajones tell you...
But, back to the original point - over the last few years I've settled at a couple of large tuppadors with a couple of overflow desktops and generally buy to keep the numbers stable between 5-600. Works for me and the Mrs operates a parallel system for handbags.

Sent by spooky action at a distance

1 minute ago, Akela3rd said:

Line them with brown parcel paper or just go hands up and tell her Yes, I have a big 'ol pile of cigars, next question.
Depends what your conscience/cajones tell you...

It's really not a question of what is acceptable to her, but of psychology. I don't generally care how many clothes or other things my wife buys online, but seeing the packages come in on some weeks, just feels excessive. I think she must feel the same way about the cigars. At least that applies to how many cigars I buy/own. How many cigars I smoke is an entirely different matter :)

10 minutes ago, Akela3rd said:

But, back to the original point - over the last few years I've settled at a couple of large tuppadors with a couple of overflow desktops and generally buy to keep the numbers stable between 5-600. Works for me and the Mrs operates a parallel system for handbags.

On this matter, I think 2 120-qt coolers is probably a very good amount of storage for me. Once these are full I hope not to buy boxes except to replace boxes. On the other hand I want to replace boxes before they are fully empty, and ideally I'd want to keep the cigars in the existing boxes even when they get down to half or a third full. This is where I'll need a third cooler for the replacement boxes before the old boxes are so low that they can be stored as singles and space freed up.

Sometimes overthinking is part of the fun...
When my son moved out a couple of years ago my first thought was to convert the fitted wardrobes in his bedroom into a huge humidor. Never happened, but I enjoyed planning the hypothetical end result.

Sent by spooky action at a distance

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bijan said:

On this matter, I think 2 120-qt coolers is probably a very good amount of storage for me. Once these are full I hope not to buy boxes except to replace boxes. On the other hand I want to replace boxes before they are fully empty, and ideally I'd want to keep the cigars in the existing boxes even when they get down to half or a third full. This is where I'll need a third cooler for the replacement boxes before the old boxes are so low that they can be stored as singles and space freed up.

You will never stop buying CCs incessantly. You will never have enough storage. Give in my good man, you're doomed.

I started with 1 small cooler. Moved up to a large marine cooler. Bought 2 of the Iris containers for overflow, and was like that's it, no more! Now I have the marine cooler, 8 Iris containers & a standup wineador for singles. If I were married it woulda been over a long time ago...

• Haha 1

Agreed, you'll never have enough storage!  I notice you get C&C cigars too, what if you see a good deal?  Another box or 5 coming lol.  I passed on deals because I didn't have the space, and now live with regret lol.  I've since remedied my low storage and in about 6months I have 1 50ct desktop humidor, 4 32qt tupperwares, and 2 300ct wineadors!  

Some is good. More is better. Help the economy. It’s incumbent upon those who have the bandwidth and capacity to help the economy do so during these trying times. Keep workers at work and keep the economy going so that the whole world doesn’t collapse. We don’t need to buy staff lunches every week. We do it so that local businesses can stay in business, so that they can pay rent, so workers can pay bills, so landlords can make debt service, so banks don’t collapse, so you don’t have systemic shock, and so everything doesn’t go to shit like in 08.

Do the right thing. Be patriotic. If you can spend it, spend it now. The answer is always more. Cheers, and happy spending.

There are many reasons to buy cigars now--and more storage now.

--Potential price increases/inflation/devaluation of your currency.

--Availability of smokes you want--the supply chain is a long one, and a lot can go wrong.

--Regulatory environment--it could get worse, a lot worse.

--Quality issues--on the whole quality is very good right now, no guarantee that continues for the long run.

--Your finances--no guarantee they will always be solid.

I’ve done it all, except for a walk-in, which I am currently contemplating.

Desktops, cabinets, winador, tupperdor, coolidor.

Having done all this, I have to say that I feel most comfortable with the coolidors. Some one this thread have advocated for the Tupperware. They certainly work well for humidity management. However, unless you live in an area, or are able to store your collection in an area that is VERY temperature stable, I think the coolers are a better option. One of the biggest detriments to long-term aging is temp swings, and the coolers insulate against that a bit. Not perfectly, but much better than a piece of Tupperware. 

• Like 3