Do you have one or two celebratory cigars that you reward yourself with?

17 hours ago, JohnS said:

How uncanny, I actually had a medium-aged Bolivar Petit Corona just yesterday (ETP Mar 17 box code so 3-and-a-half years). Perfectly aged? You probably mean around 5 to 7 years? Less or more perhaps? I'm curious because Bolivar is a marca I've not smoked much of over the years (excepting recent Bolivar Belicosos Finos).

John, actually more towards 7 and beyond than 5 years, haha. It is funny, and obviously it's just me (having voiced such several times on here on the forum without finding much agreement...), but - for me - the Petit Coronas is the only vitola from the brand, which I find pretty unexpressive when under 5 yrs of age. You can smoke it, sure, it can even be quite enjoyable (no harshness whatsoever, when properly conditioned, not too moist), still, they really start to blossom only when matured for some time. In my mind, just like the RASS, a waste when smoked younger, but a revelation when aged. The Coronas Junior on the other hand, while not much different in format, can be really good from the get go. It is not simply shorter, in my humble opinion it is a quite different blend. The PC I always find more restrained when young. The Gigantes e.g., while different, I have always enjoyed young (even fresh) and aged. Alas, the times of young BCG are gone... :(

• Thanks 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guess I found mine.  Big SNOW day yesterday. OR BHK56 from 2010 after dinner. Smoked a couple of others along the way.... P1 from the jar. SS#2 '09 RoboT

Open up humidor. Look through humidor. Reemmber im poor and tax is high and i don't have any high end cigars. Remember which cigar i had last that blew my mind. Grab the Boli PC or Punch punch, or RyJ

Only 1 box is being saved for when I hit a milestone birthday. An untouched box of 1970s Dunhill Montecristo Especial no. 2s. A couple more and I will smoke my first one. Other than that, everyth

Nothing too special as of now, given the infantile (although burgeoning) nature of my collection. With that said, I have a box and a half of Esmeralda that I have a hard time keeping my hands off of, and 2 Corona Especiales left from a 6-pack. Those are both good enough that they fit the bill for now

• Like 2

Special occasion cigars are for me as follows. 

1)Any of my Cohibas

2)Any DC's I have currently in stock Hoyo's, Partagas Lusitania come to mind

3)Sir Winston

4)Trinidad La Trova's 

5)LGC MdO4 from '17

• Like 2

There are a couple....

Sir Winston top of the list though I branch out depending. Most aged and few in the humidor.

• Like 1

The bottom shelf draw of my humidor contains special occasion sticks. Customs from my first (and so far only!) trip to Havana, a few ELs, a Talisman and a couple of 20+ year old SP Gran Coronas. Everything else I tell myself is for any occasion.

While in the Davidoff London store Mr Sahakian gave me a Davidoff Special 53 which was very generous of him. I recently turned 30 so will be lighting it the next quiet moment I get to celebrate! 

• Like 1

Hard to select a couple but I would choose from an 2014 Siglo VI, SLR DC, Edmundo Dante 54s or a box of ‘07 H.Upmann Monarch A/T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

HUSWs, Tacos, and Cohiba Talisman.  

Never had a Talisman yet, but maybe ... when my wife leaves for business travel in a couple of weeks.  

• Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, El Presidente said:

Do you have one or two celebratory cigars that you reward yourself with?

Picture yourself cracking a milestone, completing a rather challenging task, maybe these days it is simply making it to the weekend with your humour and sanity in check :D

You have some time to yourself and open your humidor........what are the one or two cigars that you repeatedly reach for when it comes to rewarding yourself ?

Monte Sublime EL, Trinidad Ingenios EL, or Cohiba 1966 EL.  My celebratory go-to's.  A box and a half of Ingenios left, and a half-box or so each of the others.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 6:43 AM, Fugu said:

for me - the Petit Coronas is the only vitola from the brand, which I find pretty unexpressive when under 5 yrs of age.

I would have to strongly agree with this, and it has been my experience with BPC since at least the mid-2000s. I haven't had many 7+ year old examples but the ones I've had were head and shoulders above any fresh ones I've had. Every time I smoke a young one I just taste unrefined and muddled flavors. I stopped buying them to smoke a decade ago. 

And as you note, I don't have this issue with BCJ which can be fantastic with very little age. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 7:28 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

I stopped buying them to smoke a decade ago. 

But hadn’t you, it had earned you today some wonderful 10-yrs aged BPC.  :D :cigar:

(back then had been some fine TEB 08 production on the shelves)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fugu said:

But hadn’t you, it had earned you today some wonderful 10-yrs aged BPC.  :D :cigar:

(back then had been some fine TEB 08 production on the shelves)

Yeah, all those TEB Bolis are classics now. I swore them off after I bought a 50 cab of 05s that just all smoked like charcoal briquettes. That cab would probably smoke like a dream today. Or at least I could get $750 for it on BR as i only paid about $215 for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, maverickdrinker said:

Awesome Mike. Way to celebrate!!! Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Art! Not every day your company goes public!

• Like 1