Tubos vs Dress Box

I'll posit a couple of reasons since nobody has weighed in yet.

Cabinet - the oils in cigars can intermingle and breath, tubos are typically not offered in 25-count and when they are the box takes up more space in the humidor (this might be the main reason) by a percentage someone else can figure. It's substantial enough that I don't keep the boxes very long.

Tubos - age slower and more prone to drying out. People suggest unscrewing the cap, but that's not practical in my humidors. I use tubes for nights out, lone survivors that I don't care about finding anytime soon.

This was stream of consciousness. You might also ask why people prefer cabinets over dress boxes.

I hope my response helps you sleep tonight.

• Like 3

Dress Box & Cab....

Lets you see your glorious sticks

Pretty wrappers

More offerings in dress box/cab

Tubos

In my experience uglier wrappers

Not as many offerings

take up space and folks are never sure how to store them (cap on vs off)

Personally I like both, I keep tubos around for gifting and the fun of it...

but the majority of my boxes are cabinets when aval (prefer 50's so they last longer) then dress boxes

• Like 1

First, tubos and dress boxes are not mutually exclusive. ;)

Second, I wasn't aware any preference existed. I just don't like the price premium on the tubos. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any discrimination on FOH in terms of tubos. Cohiba and Monte tubos sell well here. There aren't many cigars exclusive to tubos which is why Rob rarely puts up "tubed versions" when the non-tubed are the same cigar. 

• Like 3

i like the look of the tubos more but i don't like to age in tubos. i feel like the cedar lining gives it too much of a cedar flavor after a few years and they take up too much room. i just keep some old tubes of various sizes i can throw a cigar in if i don't want to use my holder

Tubos for quick purchases if you have no remote storage. Everything else I'd go boxes. You can always buy glass tubes or source them from someone and reuse them for singles. I do that or even better if you don't finish a cigar put it in there temporary which is a good solution to smoke at a soon later date. 

I am tubo fan.  I like the additional hint of cedar.  I would buy a lot more tubo boxes but they take up a lot of room.  For cigars that come in both dress box and cab I go for the dress box for space savings.  Cabs are fun, but it's a real estate game for me.  It really has to be a special cab for me to make the space.

• Like 1

Let’s not forget that tubos cost more. Cedar input varies in success depending on the flavor profile. If I’m buying a pack I’d rather have tubos over C/P. But otherwise I’ll take a box, especially an SLB.

Only box of tubes I’ve purchased was Siglo V’s recently, because the SLB’s in that are apparently the unicorns of the Cohiba line (I’ve seen Behike’s more frequently). 

6 hours ago, kalibratecuba said:

I'll posit a couple of reasons since nobody has weighed in yet.

Cabinet - the oils in cigars can intermingle and breath, tubos are typically not offered in 25-count and when they are the box takes up more space in the humidor (this might be the main reason) by a percentage someone else can figure. It's substantial enough that I don't keep the boxes very long.

Tubos - age slower and more prone to drying out. People suggest unscrewing the cap, but that's not practical in my humidors. I use tubes for nights out, lone survivors that I don't care about finding anytime soon.

This was stream of consciousness. You might also ask why people prefer cabinets over dress boxes.

I hope my response helps you sleep tonight.

To the contrary...

Tubos, due to the sealed environment, frequently have too MUCH moisture and don't dry out, but can lead to excessive mold issues.  Due to the frequently too-humid atmosphere and RH that these are rolled and packaged in when in Cuba.

That said, like others have mentioned, they're nice for individual presentation.  I've always liked tubos or cedar-/tissue-wrapped cigars for box-open presentation to people.  Something nice about them now and again.

But if just for me?  Neither tubos NOR dress boxes.  I'm all about the ribbon-tied cabs and foil-wrapped bundles!  :P  ;) 

I would say cost is a factor. Portable safety. Also, in my experience, tubed cigars age much slower, but the end result can be incredible if they age for a very long time given they are kept in proper conditions. The presentation is cool. I like to gift tubed cigars. Maybe its why some 50 year old RYJ Churchills can score 99/100 points. If I understood Min Ron Nee correctly, the process of limiting are exchage, i.e. tubos and even varnished cabs, retards the aging process but can result in a better outcome a couple of decades or more down the road. I have seen this with tubed cigars tasting and smelling just as fresh after 5 years as they did new. I once smoked a RYJ Tubos 1 that someone gave me, in an old style tube, telling me their Grandfather had these cigars a couple decades ago, and the very rough looking stick, it did look like an old stick was one of the most delicious Cubans I had ever smoked. 

53 minutes ago, sw15825 said:

I would say cost is a factor. Portable safety. Also, in my experience, tubed cigars age much slower, but the end result can be incredible if they age for a very long time given they are kept in proper conditions. The presentation is cool. I like to gift tubed cigars. Maybe its why some 50 year old RYJ Churchills can score 99/100 points. If I understood Min Ron Nee correctly, the process of limiting are exchage, i.e. tubos and even varnished cabs, retards the aging process but can result in a better outcome a couple of decades or more down the road. I have seen this with tubed cigars tasting and smelling just as fresh after 5 years as they did new. I once smoked a RYJ Tubos 1 that someone gave me, in an old style tube, telling me their Grandfather had these cigars a couple decades ago, and the very rough looking stick, it did look like an old stick was one of the most delicious Cubans I had ever smoked. 

I am too impatient to wait decades to smoke a cigar.  They are lucky to last a year in my possession.

Personally, I look at Tubos like closed foot cigars. It "traps the aroma in". I think it adds an aspect to the aging process.

Cost wise a box is much cheaper (generally, unless you pick up some sales here and there). If you want to age 5 sticks, i'd buy tubos, leave in humidor with cap off for a month or two to acclimatise, then close cap and throw them deep in your humidor.

If you want to age 25 or more cigars, sealing a full dress box  or cap will work great. In a ziplock bag or vacuum packed.

Horses for courses i reckon.

2 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

Personally, I look at Tubos like closed foot cigars. It "traps the aroma in". I think it adds an aspect to the aging process.

Cost wise a box is much cheaper (generally, unless you pick up some sales here and there). If you want to age 5 sticks, i'd buy tubos, leave in humidor with cap off for a month or two to acclimatise, then close cap and throw them deep in your humidor.

If you want to age 25 or more cigars, sealing a full dress box  or cap will work great. In a ziplock bag or vacuum packed.

Horses for courses i reckon.

Put one of these in your new humi. If it reads something like this. You don't need bags or any of those other bits and pieces you have in their. Throw the tubes in with caps on . Pull them out and clean them once in a while. Cigars that is 160014122968975738097003224846.jpg.84a134070732c17453919e2886269a73.jpg

1 hour ago, westg said:

Back on topic. I know many people do and swear buy it in regard to storing. For me tubos are short term an mainly for transporting. A few here a few there.Great for giveaways

I think it's fairly undisputed that tubes are ideal for long-term storage but that means 5-7 years at a minimum. The less ambient airflow, the better but the cigars will age more slowly according to traditional opinion.

RyJ Churchills in the old silver tubes do it for me - I like that extra cedar and woof when I take one out to smoke. And I think we all agree the old silver tubes were 5*.
I’m now at the stage that I buy PSP churchies from El Presi and decant the dress box into old silver RyJ Churchi tubes that I saved, turn on the radio and sit back and wait 7 years and not worry too much about it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

love tubos.....

more aroma and richer flavors ,and they age slower.

I have a few '07 Bolivar and Punch tubes that are epic right now.....

the other '07 sticks I had were no where near this good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HuffnPuffff said:

RyJ Churchills in the old silver tubes do it for me - I like that extra cedar and woof when I take one out to smoke. And I think we all agree the old silver tubes were 5*.
I’m now at the stage that I buy PSP churchies from El Presi and decant the dress box into old silver RyJ Churchi tubes that I saved, turn on the radio and sit back and wait 7 years and not worry too much about it all.
emoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Never much cared for them......

RyJ Tubes.jpg

Oh yeah, baby.  Ummm hmmmm, that's right.  Who's been a bad boy?  Uh huh.

Wait, what??

Yup, I like them too.  Have one from 94 I think it was that was given to me by Andy a while back, and been meaning to smoke it - was gonna bring it on this trip, and forgot.

Simplicity and tradition with those.  Just such a long-time standard-bearer.