Okay Fuzz...

Okay Fuzz, I have something for you.

I see you spreading the "dead threads" memes around on some of these.  You hit me with one (though it was a thoughtful follow-up, I thought, and actually relevant to wake that thread up!!!), LOL.

But what gives?  As I'm getting caught up here, I'm seeing TONS of 3-, 4-, 7-year-old threads being woken up and posted to, by some random new member, usually with only 1 or 2 posts, brand new to the forum.  

Are these bots?  It seems to be all over the place on the forum here, NOTHING like when I was last on.

5 hours ago, CanuckSARTech said:

Okay Fuzz, I have something for you.

I see you spreading the "dead threads" memes around on some of these.  You hit me with one (though it was a thoughtful follow-up, I thought, and actually relevant to wake that thread up!!!), LOL.

But what gives?  As I'm getting caught up here, I'm seeing TONS of 3-, 4-, 7-year-old threads being woken up and posted to, by some random new member, usually with only 1 or 2 posts, brand new to the forum.  

Are these bots?  It seems to be all over the place on the forum here, NOTHING like when I was last on.

People on some forums complain about topics or questions being posted that have already been started/answered, so I usually search and revive threads before posting something new.

1 hour ago, DBNInc said:

People on some forums complain about topics or questions being posted that have already been started/answered, so I usually search and revive threads before posting something new.

4 years, 200+ posts it's OK to necro for the right reasons.....unless Fuzz feels otherwise!

Necroing an old post is fine if it brings new information or significantly adds something to the post. Posting, "Yeah, me too" or "I agree!", adds nothing and does not need to be said on a post that has been inactive for 2+ years.

Other ways you can bring an old thread back to life is by posting a new thread, but linking the old one in the new. Again, you would need to be bringing something new to the original thread or highlighting it for a specific reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i must be missing something. what on earth is wrong with reviving an old thread? not as though i've come across many people who are the font of all wisdom and whose word is of such authority that it shuts down all possible follow up. 

For the right reason, no problem at all. 

However, it is also one of the preferred domains of bots.  Each "resurrection" is treated on its merits. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

what on earth is wrong with reviving an old thread?

Fuzz's response is a pretty good explanation. If someone rehashes a three, five, nine year old thread just to post, is it of benefit? Some of the revived discussions were relatively specific to a time frame, and have been revived nonetheless. Etc, etc. Perhaps it might be a matter of "forum health".

Thanks Fuzz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Doofus, how do you "resurrect" a new post?

dear double doofus. 

clearly, the most basic single celled entity would have understood the reference was each post being treated on its merits. the clue would be where i said 'assume it applied to all posts, new and old', when talking about posts. 

thank the divinities you wear slip-ons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

For the right reason, no problem at all. 

However, it is also one of the preferred domains of bots.  Each "resurrection" is treated on its merits. 

This.

In the span of the proceeding few days, I saw 7 or 8 various threads, each years old, with a fresh post by someone with 1-10 posts only, stating something vaguely familiar to the actual thread contents.  Without saying "IT'S THE BOTS", that's what I was trying to say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CanuckSARTech said:

This.

In the span of the proceeding few days, I saw 7 or 8 various threads, each years old, with a fresh post by someone with 1-10 posts only, stating something vaguely familiar to the actual thread contents.  Without saying "IT'S THE BOTS", that's what I was trying to say.

Just "report" them. Quickly ascertained and shown the door. No fuss ;)

• Like 1