How Important Is Air Circulation for Storing Cigars

SigSauer516

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Not Terribly Important and 10 being Absolutely Critical, how important is air movement/circulation when storing/aging cigars?  I currently store my cigars in a coolidor, zip lock bag, or airtight glass container--all with Boveda packs to control RH.  None have a fan but get "fresh air" only when I open them to grab a cigar.  Do I need a small, battery-operated fan in my coolidor and store everything in there?  TIA.

7 minutes ago, SigSauer516 said:

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Not Terribly Important and 10 being Absolutely Critical, how important is air movement/circulation when storing/aging cigars?  I currently store my cigars in a coolidor, zip lock bag, or airtight glass container--all with Boveda packs to control RH.  None have a fan but get "fresh air" only when I open them to grab a cigar.  Do I need a small, battery-operated fan in my coolidor and store everything in there?  TIA.

My personal opinion is that it might be more important for the overall humidor environment - trying to maintain a uniform humidity. For me - the cigars packed in their boxes - close quarters contact - perhaps less so.

I've come to find it depends on what you want to achieve, on two main factors:

1 - long term, or short term aging.

Long-term storage (like 10+ years)?  Not too much, maybe a 3 or 4.  Less air movement helps things to age and "marinate" better perhaps / it's believed.  

Short-term aging (like a few months to only 2 or 3 years)?  More like a 7 or 8.  More air movement helps moisture and various compounds in the cigars mature and age a bit quicker.  That said, it could also lead to a lessening of the effects of oils in the tobacco, and "force aging", at the hinderance of long-term performance of the cigar.

And, 

2 - storage environment / humidor construction.

If you have a coolerdor, or something more low and wide?  Not too much importance, same score, maybe a 3 or 4.  Opened very rarely, not a huge elevation difference from top to bottom (moisture / RH is different in "layers" going vertically).

But for a big tall display cabinet, good air circulation is super important, I'd say an 8-10.  If you open the doors a lot, if the seals on the doors aren't the greatest, if it's a tall cabinet, etc.  All reasons why your moisture / RH can vary wildly from top to bottom.  A really good fan / circulation system helps with better RH recovery, and helps to keep things consistent from top to bottom.

My thoughts, anywho.