Celebration bottles

Habana Mike

The Pol Roger was released 2 years ago and has some very high reviews. A friend of mine picked up a bottle last year. We were meant to open it up on her birthday this year, but with Covid (she is Melbourne based), have to wait till we catch up again in the new year.

• Thanks 1

The shafer is worth it in my opinion. I can find that for about $200. There is really not many Napa I can say the same for. I'd prefer Willamette or other Washington $12 bottles (Find a 97 chateau St. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon and Napa has no chance). But to answer your question yes! probably  worth $400 a bottle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i don't see much schafer at all here. i am sure that our american friends will have opinions far more worthwhile than mine. 

pol roger i see a lot of. by chance, we had a magnum of that very wine a week or two ago. but i have seen it on several other occasions as well. sadly, the magnum did not drink as well as it should have. but generally, this is a brilliant wine. 2008 is possibly the best vintage since 1988, if your preference is for classic, elegant, long-lived champers. well cellared bottles will go many years but it is stunning now. 

and sir W is as good as dom, crystal etc, in its own style. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i don't see much schafer at all here. i am sure that our american friends will have opinions far more worthwhile than mine. 

pol roger i see a lot of. by chance, we had a magnum of that very wine a week or two ago. but i have seen it on several other occasions as well. sadly, the magnum did not drink as well as it should have. but generally, this is a brilliant wine. 2008 is possibly the best vintage since 1988, if your preference is for classic, elegant, long-lived champers. well cellared bottles will go many years but it is stunning now. 

and sir W is as good as dom, crystal etc, in its own style. 

Thanks Ken. We quite enjoyed it!

The Winston Churchill is a winner every vintage it comes out.  2008 is on the young side, no?  Epic vintage across the board for '08 Champagne.

Shafer is a classic.  Never had that vintage, but I bet it was good.

Have never been let down by Shafer, they seem to make every blend and every vintage work. My experience with Pol Roger has all been with standard NV but always very good. Sounds like you had a good night!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I’ve been on the Shafer hillside list since 2001.  I find the SHS drinks best at about 15 years so you are in the right window.  The last bottle of ‘06 I had was a long time ago.  It is not the best vintage but Shafer never disappoints.  I would enjoy it sooner than later.