Walk-in Humidor Closet Conversion

Tomasito

Hi All - I am converting a small closet to a walk-in humidor (4 x 5 x 9) and would appreciate feedback on two points:

1) Should I take down the existing drywall and replace it with greenboard (due to humidity factors)?

2) If yes to above, should I place a vapor barrier or Tyvek housewrap behind the board (recognizing that the two serve different functions)?

Factors to note: relatively stable environment in that the closet is an "isolated box" (ie: no exterior walls) on the main level of a climate controlled home (68F in winter and 70F in summer).  Location is Northeast region so can get humid in summer but only for short periods (and not swampy like Miami!).

Finally, I am using Spanish cedar throughout the entire closet (not just the shelves) if that makes a difference in terms of drywall type and the need for barrier.

If you’re planning on having active humidity, I’d put green board up. Or, you could use hardiboard. If you’re going through the expense of adding all that cedar, the drywall is pretty nominal (just a few sheets... more the labor than materials.

As far as a moisture barrier goes, it probably couldn’t hurt. I think of it like cheap humidors that leak through the bottom... the tighter you can make it, the less it’ll leak and the more stable it will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, MrGinger said:

1. Yes.

2. Vapor barrier

3. I would go with Honduran Mahogany over Spanish cedar.  Same humidity properties, less aromatic.  You may find that going with Spanish Cedar for the entire lining and shelves will be overpowering.  

Hey Ging - appreciate the feedback.  I read somewhere that a breathable sheet (Tyvek) is better than a true vapor barrier.  If vapor barrier is used then isn't there a risk of mould since the humidity would be air-sealed within the humidor and therefore have nowhere to naturally escape to if/when the RH gets too high? 

43 minutes ago, Ender1553 said:

If you’re planning on having active humidity, I’d put green board up. Or, you could use hardiboard. If you’re going through the expense of adding all that cedar, the drywall is pretty nominal (just a few sheets... more the labor than materials.

As far as a moisture barrier goes, it probably couldn’t hurt. I think of it like cheap humidors that leak through the bottom... the tighter you can make it, the less it’ll leak and the more stable it will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.  Moisture barrier where?  Between the greenboard and the cedar?  or in behind the greenboard?

I would leave the drywall up and use a vapor barrier between whatever wood you use and the existing drywall. I don't think you want the humidity seeping into the wall cavity so sure you could do a barrier on the studs and re drywall but if you're covering everything anyway, why bother with the drywall?

Another option if you're concerned about moisture getting to the drywall is to do a few coats of paint (exterior or something meant to stand up to the elements) and then moisture barrier and wood. You're going to try to keep the rH below 70, which is ambient in a lot of places and I have to imagine that the drywall is molding everywhere.