What is your favorite go to scotch/whisky to pair with CC's?

Kaptain Karl

I've been playing around with pairing different whisky's with CC's, and I keep coming back and back to the Kilkerran 12. It's relatively cheap for a very good scotch at 65$ here locally, and it seems to pair beautifully with most of the CC's in my collection. I'm curious what your go to whisky to pair with a CC is?

• Like 1

If I am really digging into a cigars flavors just H20 with some icecubes.

I usually don’t drink a “hot” bourbon with cigars when I do but something like Buffalo Trace goes well. Hate scotch, not for a lack of trying.

I really like a Root Beer with a dark, maduro super earthy cigar.

1 hour ago, Doctorossi said:

I'm generally not a fan of cigars and whisky together as I find that they often step on and mask each other's subtleties. However, there are a couple of whiskies I find go well with simpler cigars. For this, I like Highland Park 12 and Macallan 10.

This is my experience as well. I like peaty and smoky scotches, which tend to be too similar in flavor. Macallan tends to be the best fit for me if I am having a scotch with a cigar. Otherwise root beer, ginger ale, and coffee are my drinks of choice. 

• Like 3

two of my favorites for reasonably priced - Oban 14 and Lagavulin 16 (even though the prices jumped in past 2yrs) - can't go wrong with any cigar I have paired them with.  Rum - Zacapa 23 excellent neat and in mojitos pairs well.  Bourbons - Eagle Rare, knob creek rye single barrel, Woodford 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:09 AM, Doctorossi said:

I'm generally not a fan of cigars and whisky together as I find that they often step on and mask each other's subtleties. However, there are a couple of whiskies I find go well with simpler cigars. For this, I like Highland Park 12 and Macallan 10.

That's exactly how I feel about red wine and cigars. I have certainly gotten that with some whisky's too, especially stronger American whiskey's. I've had great experiences with Cambeltown scotch. Oban 14 has been another one that I have really enjoyed, but the Kilkerran 12 seems to bat a percentage higher for me!

On 9/22/2020 at 5:24 AM, rcarlson said:

Alexander Murray Speyside sherry cask finished 18 and 22 years aged single malt whisky. Distinguishing color difference even though tastes close to each other.  Tastes smooth after the first taste.  Good weekend drink priced around $60. #singlemaltwhisky #Speyside #kirkland #alexandermurray #sherrycask

I have heard some good things! Which one did you like best?

53 minutes ago, Kaptain Karl said:

I have heard some good things! Which one did you like best?

The 22 is smooooove - with a "v."  I'm a huge fan.  Probably had 4-5 bottles.  Easy like Sunday morning.  

I had the 20 year too and gotta say, it's slightly different but just as good if not better IMO.  About a $15 difference.  A buddy and I put them next to each other and did a taste test.  Nearly the same color for both, like them equally.   

I think they work really well with CCs.  

Haven't had the 18.  

Sherry finished and lower ABV (no cask strength) tend to be good predictors for pairing scotch and cigars in my experience. I also avoid older whiskies, especially bourbons, as the cigar can bring out more dry wood and oak than you generally want to be focusing on in those older drams. Generally speaking, I’ve had more success pairing rum, cognac, armagnac, and port with cigars. They seem to do a better job emphasizing the sweeter and fruitier notes in cigars for me which tend to be more subtle than leather, wood, etc.

• Like 2

Something sherried (Bowmore 18, Dalmore) for a chocolate wrapper

Clynelish 14 for light bodied cigars

Lagavulin 16 goes with almost everything

Few days ago I had a Coro + Glenfarclas 21 and that was a brilliant combo - orange and honeyed sweetness on both

• Like 1

• 1 month later...