More Cuba related restrictions for US?

So back to the way it was prior to...I can't remember the year, maybe 2010 or so?  When they first started allowing that "personal use" importation.

Some will say it's the end of the world, others of us will say we've lived through the previous ends of the world...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheGipper said:

So back to the way it was prior to...I can't remember the year, maybe 2010 or so?  When they first started allowing that "personal use" importation.

Some will say it's the end of the world, others of us will say we've lived through the previous ends of the world...

The early part of 2015, although it feels like it’s been longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time for this thread to get boring and geeky....

The President can issue statements but in the real world actual policy changes require regulations formulated by a bunch of attorneys in the appropriate agencies.

This process is stunningly complex, and can take months and in some cases years.

The details matter, and some of the sharp folks here can enlighten us on those in the coming weeks and months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElJavi76 said:

Being from there... And without getting too political... If this is what it takes to light a fire under the Cuban populous to finally go out and fight for their freedom, so be it! We can't be so selfish as to say, I want Cuba to remain as it is... You know for the cheap rum and cigars. 

Some of us here on this forum have real friends, people we consider family even, struggling there on a daily basis. I happen to have relatives there who stand in line for hours for food that they don't get sometimes.

I'd trade all my cigars for their freedom, even if I had to smoke a Gurkha.

#CubaLibre

I agree that all of us would like to see a better situation, political system and economy for Cuba. But I think trying to force change from outside has been shown not to work. Outside pressure or antagonism often galvanizes support for a regime within a population.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cairo said:

The President can issue statements but in the real world actual policy changes require regulations formulated by a bunch of attorneys in the appropriate agencies.

This process is stunningly complex, and can take months and in some cases years.

Well okay... But the process already happened.  It will be published in the federal register and go into effect tomorrow.  It's all right there in the Miami Herald article linked above, including a link to the official PDF from the OFAC.

6 minutes ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

OFAC is amending four provisions of the Regulations to restrict the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin alcohol and tobacco products. More specifically, OFAC is amending the following authorizations to exclude the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin alcohol and tobacco products: (i) § 515.560(c)(3), which authorizes the purchase or other acquisition in Cuba and importation as accompanied baggage into the United States of Cuban-origin merchandise for personal use; (ii) § 515.569, which authorizes the importation of merchandise by any person arriving in the United States other than a citizen or resident of the United States, provided the importation is not in commercial quantities and are not imported for resale; (iii) § 515.571(a)(1), which authorizes the importation into the United States of accompanied baggage for personal use by or on behalf of a Cuban national who is present in the United States; and (iv) § 515.585(d), which authorizes the importation into the United States as accompanied baggage certain Cuban-origin goods that are purchased or acquired in a third country for personal use. OFAC is also making technical and conforming changes to § 515.571(a).

16 minutes ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

OFAC is amending four provisions of the Regulations to restrict the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin alcohol and tobacco products. More specifically, OFAC is amending the following authorizations to exclude the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin alcohol and tobacco products: (i) § 515.560(c)(3), which authorizes the purchase or other acquisition in Cuba and importation as accompanied baggage into the United States of Cuban-origin merchandise for personal use; (ii) § 515.569, which authorizes the importation of merchandise by any person arriving in the United States other than a citizen or resident of the United States, provided the importation is not in commercial quantities and are not imported for resale; (iii) § 515.571(a)(1), which authorizes the importation into the United States of accompanied baggage for personal use by or on behalf of a Cuban national who is present in the United States; and (iv) § 515.585(d), which authorizes the importation into the United States as accompanied baggage certain Cuban-origin goods that are purchased or acquired in a third country for personal use. OFAC is also making technical and conforming changes to § 515.571(a).

I doubt it but just maybe this will bring back the good old cigar tourism we used to have before Obama changed everything when you would break out in a sweat when going through customs on your way back from Havana. I miss those days lol. 

• Like 2

But the process already happened.

I stand corrected--the fine print of the regulation explains:

Public Participation.

Because the amendment of the Regulations involves a foreign affairs function, the provisions of Executive Order 12866 and the Administrative Procedure Act (5 U.S.C. 553) requiring notice of proposed rulemaking, opportunity for public participation, and delay in effective date, as well as the provisions of Executive Order 13771, are inapplicable. Because no notice of proposed rulemaking is required for this rule, the Regulatory Flexibility Act (5 U.S.C. 601–12) does not apply.

The new regulations not only prohibit the purchase of cigars and rum for Americans in Cuba, but prohibit their purchase and importation into the United States from other countries that maintain free trade with Cuba, such as Canada, the United Kingdom and Mexico. 

6 minutes ago, prshah25 said:

The new regulations not only prohibit the purchase of cigars and rum for Americans in Cuba, but prohibit their purchase and importation into the United States from other countries that maintain free trade with Cuba, such as Canada, the United Kingdom and Mexico. 

Stay friendly with your online vendor, whomever it may be!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Gents, 

Try to rise above petty politics. Use it as a personal challenge. Start with this thread.

We have all seen this cuba crackdown before.

Someone post up the new OFAC regs on some of those other cheap labour /oil rich countries who don't mind dismissing human rights. I must have missed them.  

Funny if it wasn’t so painfully true.

• Like 2