We Have a Discrepancy Here

Grady

55 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Hygrometers calibrated?

Don't forget to take into account the +/- accuracy of the hygros.

The two digital hygrometers are brand new straight out of the box on their factory settings, I'm pretty disappointed that there's this much of a range between supposedly identical units but I guess you get what you pay for.

I was planning on using them so that I don't have to try and remove & then replace the built-in analog hygrometer in the cabinet.

59 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Calibrate them at the same time, in the same conditions, then take note of the variance and mark the hygrometers accordingly. That way you will have a better idea of what the Rh is in your humidor.

Great suggestion, I think that's the only solution short of buying different adjustable hygrometers.

Yeah very few cheap digitalis that I’ve purchased have been correct based on calibration in a sealed container with a boveda.

Some have been way waaaaaaay off.

I’ve been using the Homidy hygro and 3 of the 4 that I purchased have been spot on. The 4th was off by +1%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The quality and accuracy of readily available hygrometers is pretty dismal in my experiences. I’ve experienced the same thing you are. I’m willing to pay hundreds of dollars for an accurate device, but have yet to find a reasonable candidate.

• Like 1

Don’t calibrate your humidistat at 75%. Get a boveda pack that is closest to the humidity you want to maintain and place the humidistat in a ziplock bag with the boveda pack. Leave them for 24 hours and note what your humidistat reads, then interpolate the reading you want from there. You’re going to be pretty close. 

• Like 1

This is how things look after 24 hours in a freezer bag with a new 69% boveda.  Just going to annotate each hygrometer +/- and go about using them.  Not a terribly elegant solution but it should get the job done.

IMG_5462.jpg