Long Way Up

On the weekend, I discovered the third instalment of Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman's Long Way motorbike adventure series is currently dropping on Apple TV (here in Aus) an episode per week. :party:

Completely chuffed by this, as the first two were great viewing. Absolutely loved them. And this one is an epic ride from the southern tip of South America to LA... on prototype electric Harleys! :o

Any motorbike-adventure-travel-doco enthusiasts watching??

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Loved the first two, it's an Apple TV only isn't it? Hoping it's going to come to some other places soon

Yeah, Greg, appears to be an Apple TV exclusive. Only $8.99 per month here. Cancel anytime. Well worth it - no spoilers but first episodes are great. Every bit as good as first two. 

Could be wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being available elsewhere anytime soon. 

12 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Yeah, Greg, appears to be an Apple TV exclusive. Only $8.99 per month here. Cancel anytime. Well worth it - no spoilers but first episodes are great. Every bit as good as first two. 

Could be wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being available elsewhere anytime soon. 

Based on how much I loved the first two, well there was that part when Ewan's wife turned up ok on Down and made it awkward, I'll devour it in two weeks or less so it will probably just be a one off monthly buy when the series is fully out?

Did you try By Any Means with just Charlie?

10 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Based on how much I loved the first two, well there was that part when Ewan's wife turned up ok on Down and made it awkward, I'll devour it in two weeks or less so it will probably just be a one off monthly buy when the series is fully out?

Did you try By Any Means with just Charlie?

Yeah, no such issue with his wife this time - he's divorced now. Probably a major reason this third one went ahead. Apparently they dropped out of touch after Down. Only got back in touch after Charley had a bad accident recently. Anyhow, from what I've seen thus far it's going to be a cracker of a series again.

I did take on By Any Means, but didn't really rate it. Felt exactly like a solo album. Lacked that dynamic that makes it special. 

22 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Yeah, no such issue with his wife this time - he's divorced now. Probably a major reason this third one went ahead. Apparently they dropped out of touch after Down. Only got back in touch after Charley had a bad accident recently. Anyhow, from what I've seen thus far it's going to be a cracker of a series again.

I did take on By Any Means, but didn't really rate it. Felt exactly like a solo album. Lacked that dynamic that makes it special. 

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that about by any means

I'm all excited for this now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Based on everything you all said, I hunkered down to watch Long Way Up. I didn't really know anything about the series or about this iteration of it, but I do enjoy me some Ewan and love traveling, so it's right up my alley. 

After the first episode of Long Way Up, I started to do some math. They go over their previous trips a little bit and talk about Long Way Down, their trip south through Africa.

Back in 2007, I was in Uganda. While I was there, I did a white water rafting trip down the Nile, just outside Kampala. It was a blast. The company that ran the tours had about 8-10 boats, one of which was the group I was with. For whatever reason, every time two of the boats converged, people would talk smack and splash each other.

After an hour or so of having the time of my life, a boat drifted toward us. Me and a guy on the other boat locked eyes and engaged hard in smack-talking, using our paddles to splash monsoons of Nile onto each other. The battle waged for a few minutes until the current takes the boats away from each other, and my buddy looks at me and says, "Do you know who that was?" "No." I said. He looked at me like I was crazy and shouted, "That was Obi-Wan f***ing Kenobi!" Sure enough. I managed to snap a picture (below) and will always remember the time I went toe-to-toe with a Jedi and made it out alive.

Now that I'm watching Long Way Up, I realized that he was on his Long Way Down trip. Needless to say, I'll be watching that next.

4CF24811-9097-45C0-991E-262D69E75D0F_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Ash Bridges said:

Based on everything you all said, I hunkered down to watch Long Way Up. I didn't really know anything about the series or about this iteration of it, but I do enjoy me some Ewan and love traveling, so it's right up my alley. 

After the first episode of Long Way Up, I started to do some math. They go over their previous trips a little bit and talk about Long Way Down, their trip south through Africa.

Back in 2007, I was in Uganda. While I was there, I did a white water rafting trip down the Nile, just outside Kampala. It was a blast. The company that ran the tours had about 8-10 boats, one of which was the group I was with. For whatever reason, every time two of the boats converged, people would talk smack and splash each other.

After an hour or so of having the time of my life, a boat drifted toward us. Me and a guy on the other boat locked eyes and engaged hard in smack-talking, using our paddles to splash monsoons of Nile onto each other. The battle wages for a few minutes until the current takes the boats away from each other, and my buddy looks at me and says, "Do you know who that was?" "No." I said. He looked at me like I was crazy and shouted, "That was Obi-Wan f***ing Kenobi!" Sure enough. I managed to snap a picture (below) and will always remember the time I went toe-to-toe with a Jedi and made it out alive.

Now that I'm watching Long Way Up, I realized that he was on his Long Way Down trip. Needless to say, I'll be watching that next.

4CF24811-9097-45C0-991E-262D69E75D0F_1_105_c.jpeg

Great story Ash!