Conversation with@eljavi76 got me to thinking about an interesting question...how quick are you to pass on a particular cigar? Do you keep giving them a chance thinking that perhaps that particular stick wasn’t up to par...or think maybe I should try a different box code or wrapper shade? What factors into this decision?

Monte PE is a cigar ive tried numerous times from different boxes/vintages over the course of the last few years .....I’ve never had a good experience with it, but I kept trying it ...

Contrarily, I wrote off Non plus after 2 (one aged one not)...and partagas mad no1 I wrote off after 1....not for me ..

Why is it that some we try once and never again and others we give chances to? I often wonder if there really is a monte PE out there that I would enjoy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

Why is it that some we try once and never again and others we give chances to?

For me the factors are how bad those first one or two are (the worse they are the more likely I am to pass), and the other is how good the cigar is supposed to be (the better it's supposed to be the more likely I am to give it another chance).

I'm more on the I'll pass side, than on the give it another try though. If 2 or 3 random singles are terrible, it'll be a long time before I go out of my way to try the cigar again. This happened with non plus, even though it was likely I got bad sticks (tent pegs actually), and PLPC even though it was probably due to lack of aging.

For regular production, one's enough for me to know if I'll ever try it again. Most pass that test. Many fail because they're good cigars but too light for me. In other words, the cigar is good but just not to my taste. Fonseca would fall into that category for me, or most Hoyos. 

Of the ones that pass but I don't really like I'll try another. If that's a fail, I'll look at some opinions and if they're positive I'll try another 6-12 mos later w/ a different box code ideally. If that's a fail, I'm probably done with it. I might revisit many years later if positive reviews keep coming but in general if I smoke 3-4 examples over 1-2 years and they're not doing it for me they probably never will. 

• Like 1

I can usually tell by how bad it is if it’s just a poor roll, there was a fermentation issue, or if it’s just too young.  I’ll always keep trying until I get an example that I think passes the construction issues.  I just want to find an example that shows what it’s supposed to taste like.  From there I’ll determine if it’s something I’ll go back to again for whatever reason.  To be honest there’s not many marcas that I dislike, but definitely some I like more than others.  I enjoy mixing it up and have plenty of light body sticks even though I favor med/full.  Also I may not buy something for a long time, and then read here or other forums, or publications that something is performing well, I’m more inclined to buy those again.   

We had this discussion on the FoH ZOOM channel a short time ago and the adage that came up was, "5 tastings across 5 box codes over 5 years". @El Presidente mentioned it and it made for interesting discussion.

Personally speaking, I try to challenge my biases by smoking cigars I don't normally reach for at least once or twice a month, although when it come to Habanos cigars I have a higher tolerance level than most I would suspect.

It took awhile to search for a previous thread on the matter today but thankfully I was successful. It makes for good reading...

• Like 4

I try not to give up on any cigar. Your tastes change over time, and so to do cigar blends. I personally don't like any Bolivar, but I will still try them every once in a while, just in case my tastes change.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:

Contrarily, I wrote off Non plus after 2 (one aged one not)...and partagas mad no1 I wrote off after 1....not for me ..

Critically, I think it all depends on whether a smoker feel as if you have sampled a good representation of the cigar in question.   By this I mean, If you read enough on this forum, it's possible to construct a fairly accurate view of what to expect from a given cigar when it's "on", and if it's simply a dud. 

If I were to try a SP Non Plus, and it was full driftwood character, cream, marzipan, etc etc  I would feel as if I had a good representation of what it's supposed to be,   After this point, its down to me to either say "nope not for me" or "lets get out the credit card".   

If I was left feeling as if I'd just had a dud,  I would feel as if I needed to retry until I had a good representative of the cigar in question.   The quandary is (for me), when you step back to the plate numerous times and still no joy.  I think one of two things are at play,  the given smoker has a blind spot on in there palate (mine is Cohiba) or simply the cigar/marca has terrible consistency.  Either one of the these options the smoker would obviously be more within there right to just say "forget this, life's to short"

For me personally, I rarely smoke Cohiba, as I just don't get it (i have about 2 a year, holding out for the miracle),  but then there are brands like R&J and Montecristo which I limit my purchasing of their lines to Exhibition no 4, Petit Royales, Churchills, Especial 1&2, Petit Edmundo,  simply for the fact they are so wayward I have retreated into lines of theres that are most trustworthy. 

I'm pretty open to retrying anything. However it maybe a year or more. Sometimes a profile that I completely loathed is good another time. It's a lot like my preferences change by the season. 

My last expeirence with quintero pantelas was absolutely horrid. But with a low end brand that should be expected now and then. I wouldn't put my nose up to someone offering me one. 

I however have never tried a Monte Open and don't care to. 

11 hours ago, JohnS said:

5 tastings across 5 box codes over 5 years

I think the five years is the key.     The SP Non Plus discussed above is a radically different cigar when fresh compared to when it is aged.

I have enjoyed (at least to some extent) every five year old plus CC I have tried (well, except for some Los Statos that were gifted to me years ago)--but have had a mixed bag with young smokes.    

One of my first boxes of CCs was a box of RASS that I bought at an LCDH in Havana. I didn't really know what I was looking for and when they opened the box it looked right to me. They were one of the most boring sticks I've ever had. At 6 mos, 12 mos, 18 mos, 24, just no taste. I pretty much gave up on them but so many of y'all rave about them. I saw a 50 cab PSP on 24:24 a few weeks ago and went for it. It's got to be a bad box, right?

So to be fair to the RA Superiores, which is what sparked the conversation... I smoked thru a box and thought they were just ok cigars. I don't know what I was looking for other than the stoned fruits from say the RASS. These things had no direction or poignant flavors I could pinpoint. I don't like smoking CCs that are bland or lack some character. I even smoked a gifted one that @SigmundChurchill gave me and I thought the same thing. Insert Cuban tobacco here but nothing to write home about. 

I know SP is a change of pace brand but it's not my thing. I'm all about consistency. I like grabbing a stick with purpose cause I'm seeking that familiar flavor. RAS lacks that to me. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

Whenever I’m trying a new cigar I will buy two. One to try with some time on it a n the future. In my log if I don’t like it, I’ll make note to try again. This is doubly true if the reason I didn’t like it was a burn issue.

• Like 1

There are a few CCs I will not buy again.

RASS, RyJ Regalias de Londres, Hoyo Epi Especial.

repeated trials and failures have convinced me to avoid them.

three times from three different years is enough failure for me.

I'll always give a cigar a second chance, but if I'm really unhappy with the first impression, the second chance will drop far down my priority list and it may be a long time before I reconsider that stick.

My strategy is multiple tries over time.  My dad said tastes change also.

Often I think one cigar experience may be tainted by what I ate before, or some other non-cigar related variable, so I'm fairly open to repeating. I keep a mental log and sometimes make written notes too. Over time my averaging approach seems to work for me as I'm finding just about every cigar I smoke now to be good.

PLPC was almost a write off, unbelievable after reading about them. The first was not for me, it was a fine example, just didn't work for me personally. I knew I had to try again. Time passed, maybe had two more, still wondered what people liked about them.  After the third or fourth, this time with a couple years of age, I finally had an a-ha moment and am now happily on board the PLPC bandwagon. They evolve.

Partagas D4 was a one time experience, and I've had opportunities for a second, third, and fourth and passed on them. But, many people like these, and they are fine cigars. Today, I want to try another, because I love Shorts, Lusi, and culebras.

BBF -  I went from loving these, to not. My tastes changed. They are waiting for me the day I revisit. It will be fun, I'm looking forward to it, sooner than later in fact! This will happen in October! Thank you for the reminder!

Hoyo de Monterrey hasn’t been in my wheelhouse for a long time. Tried different years and sizes. Very few and far between that I find one that I enjoy.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:27 PM, JohnS said:

, "5 tastings across 5 box codes over 5 years".

I've never had a cigar I like go sour over 4 codes over 4 years only to suddenly spring back to life at the 5th. Since 2007, I'd say the longest period of a rut for any cigar I like is most of one code or about 18 months.

A notable recent example would be LGR El Principe. First 3-6 mos of LGR was fine and then it hit that rut around Q3 17 to Q4 19. 

• Thanks 1

for me, the 555 rule still applies ;)

Eliminates most of the vagaries of inconsistency, personal affliction, influence of locale. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 11:52 AM, Ash Bridges said:

One of my first boxes of CCs was a box of RASS that I bought at an LCDH in Havana. I didn't really know what I was looking for and when they opened the box it looked right to me. They were one of the most boring sticks I've ever had. At 6 mos, 12 mos, 18 mos, 24, just no taste. I pretty much gave up on them but so many of y'all rave about them. I saw a 50 cab PSP on 24:24 a few weeks ago and went for it. It's got to be a bad box, right?

If they happen to not be your taste still and they were the June 2017 PSP cabs that were up a few weeks back I’ll trade you almost anything I got for them. That’s my first sons birthday month and I was terribly disappointed I missed out on them. 😖😖

12 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

for me, the 555 rule still applies ;)

Eliminates most of the vagaries of inconsistency, personal affliction, influence of locale. 

I'd have to challenge you for an example of a cigar that was not good for 444 and then at 555 became a regular rotation cigar. 

I know CC consistency can be, well, dubious, but 555 is an awfully long time to wait for a frog to turn into a prince.

On 10/11/2020 at 5:52 AM, Ash Bridges said:

On 10/11/2020 at 8:01 AM, ElJavi76 said:

I smoked thru a box and thought they were just ok cigars. I don't know what I was looking for other than the stoned fruits from say the RASS. These things had no direction or poignant flavors I could pinpoint.

I have had the exact same experience with RASS for the better part of 20 years. The first RASS that I thought were something above average were recent MSU NOV 19s. And "above average" is about all they could muster.

And for the record, I am a fan of RAS and RASCC.

Just now, NSXCIGAR said:

I'd have to challenge you for an example of a cigar that was not good for 444 and then at 555 became a regular rotation cigar. 

I know CC consistency can be, well, dubious, but 555 is an awfully long time to wait for a frog to turn into a prince.

5 tries over 5 years from 5 different boxes. 

I believe if I have done the above and I still can't get any utility, they are not for me. 

It took me many tries to appreciate the LGCMO2. I just didn't get it until my 4th or 5th attempt. Same QD Coronas. I was smoking them way too young. Punch Black Prince was another. R&J Beli another. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

It took me many tries to appreciate the LGCMO2. I just didn't get it until my 4th or 5th attempt. Same QD Coronas. I was smoking them way too young. Punch Black Prince was another. R&J Beli another. 

This sounds more like a palate issue, which in that case I can see where you're going a bit more. I hadn't been thinking in that sense. I agree, sometimes you need to come around to a cigar, not the cigar to you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maverickdrinker said:
5 hours ago, NicPac said:

If they happen to not be your taste still and they were the June 2017 PSP cabs that were up a few weeks back I’ll trade you almost anything I got for them. That’s my first sons birthday month and I was terribly disappointed I missed out on them. 😖😖

whats the code? i may be of  help 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NicPac said:

Sorry @NicPac; the box coming my way is a mostly SOP MAY 20 PSP from 9/17. Maybe I get lucky and end up with 6/17; I'll let you know if I do.

• Like 1