Saint Luis Rey Regios GOB ABR 20 (FUTRRW)

Don't see too many of these posted recently. This was my first saint Luis rey and the only left in production.

Didn't know what to expect. Draw was good. Cold draw of tobacco and mint.

Throughout the flavours were almost all savoury.

First third was quite light. Tobacco with a bit of earth and leather. Kind of hard to describe. Mint and pepper on the retrohale.

Second third became a lot stronger. Lots of leather. Some toast later on. And a bit of tea towards the end. Retrohale still a bit minty.

Final third lighter again. Still some leather but some tea and or mint tea. Some tea and mint on the retrohale.

It was odd throughout. Flavours always seemed light on the draw but I could tell from the aftertaste that the cigar was on the stronger side.

No fruit or sweet flavours. Sweetest flavour I got was toast and cereal notes.

Burn was uneven and I had to touch up one side again and again. Smoke output was very good though.

Overall very different flavours from what I have been smoking recently.

20201010_132037.jpg

20201010_132847.jpg

20201010_133600.jpg

20201010_140101.jpg

• Like 3

Hey there @Bijan. I’m a big fan of these. Currently smoking a 2015 box, with some loose 18s and a box of 19s resting.

I think this is one of those cigars (and marcas) that really changes with age. My 15s are like smoking a strawberry sponge cake! Old  DCs can be incredibly sweet and mild. But younger versions can be a lot more savoury and spicy. My advice is, if you want the sweetness, just put them away a few years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RDB said:

Hey there @Bijan. I’m a big fan of these. Currently smoking a 2015 box, with some loose 18s and a box of 19s resting.

I think this is one of those cigars (and marcas) that really changes with age. My 15s are like smoking a strawberry sponge cake! Old  DCs can be incredibly sweet and mild. But younger versions can be a lot more savoury and spicy. My advice is, if you want the sweetness, just put them away a few years.

Thanks! I will definitely let them age then.

It seemed the sentiment from what I read was that these smoked well young. But yeah would definitely enjoy it a bit more on the sweeter side.