maverickdrinker

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Almost forgot... got some new pods too. Lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found these at Williams Sonoma today. Excited to try the spiced pecan pumpkin and Vietnamese. On sales to boot Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, just saw this post - huge Nespresso fan.  A staple with any morning CC.  Have the coffee bar set-up with a Latissima Touch that is amazingly old and the Keurig K-Classic that is also +8 year

Hey guys, just saw this post - huge Nespresso fan.  A staple with any morning CC.  Have the coffee bar set-up with a Latissima Touch that is amazingly old and the Keurig K-Classic that is also +8 years old.  I think I've converted my whole family over to Nespresso but my father prefers the Keurig.  One of our "big things" is that they only get filled with water from a Zero Water pitcher constantly kept filled in the fridge.  
My favorite capsules are the Nicaragua that I pair with a SCdlH Principe and the Firenze Arpeggio with Parti Shorts.  Starting to get into the Ristretto Italliano with a Boli PC and the wife is strictly a Volluto girl.  We are very lucky because we have a Nespresso Distribution Warehouse here is Southern Florida.  We typically order about $200 of capsules at a time and amazingly they arrive in less than 24 hours from when we order.
A few pictures below of the coffee bar and dedicated Nespresso shelf in the pantry (may need to reorder soon).
IMG_1432.jpg.cf2fad37745c24349330a1eeb6317063.jpg
IMG_1431.jpg.3d5f4f53d7da92c6df2ce9ea6297cedf.jpg

Great setup. We have a latissima that we got as a wedding gift 12 years ago. Still going strong.

I have a essenza mini for the office and rumour has it that I will get a Creatista Uno in the near future. Will take a pic of my setup when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

We have the Vertuo Titan that I got for free from work a few years back. Works pretty well, but I'm thinking a bit of a nicer unit is getting to become necessary.  Has anyone had experience with both the Vertuo and Original lines?  Half my family has one line and half the other.  I seem to think the coffees taste better from the Original line when I have them, but maybe that's just me? Judging by this thread there are also other stand out coffee brands that make pods for Nespresso machines that only produce them for the Original line and not Vertuo.  My one complaint with my current machine is that I think that the coffee isn't hot enough.  I spoke on the phone with Nespresso one day about this and descaled, but didn't do much.  I've started warming up my milk beforehand which helps a bit instead of pouring in cold milk (obviously..). 

As far as the coffees are concerned, my go to is usually a Diavolitto Espresso which I run through twice to make a slightly larger cup.  On the other end of the spectrum I enjoy Hazelino Muffin and Bianco Leggero.   For the Origins, I hated Cafe de Cuba, but trying to compare it to coffee on the island just will never work.  I enjoy the Costa Rica and Colombia editions. 

• Like 1

We have the Vertuo Titan that I got for free from work a few years back. Works pretty well, but I'm thinking a bit of a nicer unit is getting to become necessary.  Has anyone had experience with both the Vertuo and Original lines?  Half my family has one line and half the other.  I seem to think the coffees taste better from the Original line when I have them, but maybe that's just me? Judging by this thread there are also other stand out coffee brands that make pods for Nespresso machines that only produce them for the Original line and not Vertuo.  My one complaint with my current machine is that I think that the coffee isn't hot enough.  I spoke on the phone with Nespresso one day about this and descaled, but didn't do much.  I've started warming up my milk beforehand which helps a bit instead of pouring in cold milk (obviously..).  As far as the coffees are concerned, my go to is usually a Diavolitto Espresso which I run through twice to make a slightly larger cup.  On the other end of the spectrum I enjoy Hazelino Muffin and Bianco Leggero.   For the Origins, I hated Cafe de Cuba, but trying to compare it to coffee on the island just will never work.  I enjoy the Costa Rica and Colombia editions.  

Personally, I prefer the original line vs. Vertuo. If you are looking at machines, I would suggest one of the Creatista models.  

It comes with a steam wand which gives you versatility to control temperature and make a variety of drinks, ranging from espresso to lattes.

The original line also has most capsule choices vs the Vertuo line. Even more so when you factor in third party capsules. Original line capsules are also cheaper than vertuo capsules.

The Vertuo patent extends to 2030 ( if I recall correctly) so you won’t see third party Vertuo capsules for awhile. The only exception is there will be Starbucks capsules for Vertuo in 2021. This is due to a partnership with nespresso and Starbucks.

One of things I do to get my drinks hotter are:

Pull 2 shots from the machine before inserting the capsule. Allows the water to heat up and cleans out any residue from the previous capsule.

If making a cappuccino or latte, I warm up the cup by filling it with water and then microwaving for 2:30 min. Allows the water to heat up the cup. When I am ready to make my drink, I pour out the water and the cup is heated. it keeps it warm for a longer period of time.

Finally, look to purchase double walled cups. Makes a difference in retaining heat as well. You can pick up some well priced cups at TJMaxx/winners/Marshall’s.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, maverickdrinker said:

Personally, I prefer the original line vs. Vertuo. If you are looking at machines, I would suggest one of the Creatista models.  

It comes with a steam wand which gives you versatility to control temperature and make a variety of drinks, ranging from espresso to lattes.

The original line also has most capsule choices vs the Vertuo line. Even more so when you factor in third party capsules. Original line capsules are also cheaper than vertuo capsules.

The Vertuo patent extends to 2030 ( if I recall correctly) so you won’t see third party Vertuo capsules for awhile. The only exception is there will be Starbucks capsules for Vertuo in 2021. This is due to a partnership with nespresso and Starbucks.

One of things I do to get my drinks hotter are:

Pull 2 shots from the machine before inserting the capsule. Allows the water to heat up and cleans out any residue from the previous capsule.

If making a cappuccino or latte, I warm up the cup by filling it with water and then microwaving for 2:30 min. Allows the water to heat up the cup. When I am ready to make my drink, I pour out the water and the cup is heated. it keeps it warm for a longer period of time.

Finally, look to purchase double walled cups. Makes a difference in retaining heat as well. You can pick up some well priced cups at TJMaxx/winners/Marshall’s.

Hope this helps

This all helps greatly! I like your idea of the two shots through before actually making your cup.  That seems to be like a logical fix.  Warming up the milk first for me then making the coffee into the existing warm milk also works well for me, so I dont hate it. 

Regarding the difference in capsules, that seems like a no brainer.  I've had some excellent cups from my grandmothers Original line machine.  Far better tasting than the Vertuo I have and parents have.  The Starbucks thing, I could care less about but is good to know since my fiancé loves their brews.  I've never been a fan of their coffees but I understand why people do. 

Thank you for your detailed explanation! I will certainly be looking into something different coming up for this holiday season, as I enjoy espressos/cappuccinos more so than a normal cup of coffee, and I cant quite do that with my current machine. 

Much appreciated response!  

1 hour ago, StogieSteve23 said:
This all helps greatly! I like your idea of the two shots through before actually making your cup.  That seems to be like a logical fix.  Warming up the milk first for me then making the coffee into the existing warm milk also works well for me, so I dont hate it.

If you are in the US, check what choices are available on their machine plan. Usually if you buy certain amount of capsules monthly, you get the machine for practically free.

The other option is to check for Black Friday sales. If you can get a Creatista for cheap, I highly recommend getting it.

One last thing, make sure to sign up for the Nespresso club and register your machine. You will also have the opportunity to receive a welcome gift if you sign up. It’s usually order a certain amount of capsules and get an item(s) for free. This will also alert you on when new limited edition releases are available.

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, StogieSteve23 said:
Regarding the difference in capsules, that seems like a no brainer.  I've had some excellent cups from my grandmothers Original line machine.  Far better tasting than the Vertuo I have and parents have.  The Starbucks thing, I could care less about but is good to know since my fiancé loves their brews.  I've never been a fan of their coffees but I understand why people do. 
Thank you for your detailed explanation! I will certainly be looking into something different coming up for this holiday season, as I enjoy espressos/cappuccinos more so than a normal cup of coffee, and I cant quite do that with my current machine. 
Much appreciated response!  

If you buy a Creatista, you can use the steam wand to froth your milk. It also gives you the ability to change the temperature of the frothed milk. In other words, you can crank up the heat when frothing your milk.

8 minutes ago, maverickdrinker said:

If you are in the US, check what choices are available on their machine plan. Usually if you buy certain amount of capsules monthly, you get the machine for practically free.

The other option is to check for Black Friday sales. If you can get a Creatista for cheap, I highly recommend getting it.

One last thing, make sure to sign up for the Nespresso club and register your machine. You will also have the opportunity to receive a welcome gift if you sign up. It’s usually order a certain amount of capsules and get an item(s) for free. This will also alert you on when new limited edition releases are available.

Hope this helps

If you buy a Creatista, you can use the steam wand to froth your milk. It also gives you the ability to change the temperature of the frothed milk. In other words, you can crank up the heat when frothing your milk.

YES! This is the kind of insight I was looking for, thank you.  I'll be on the lookout next week for Black Friday deals.  I don't think I qualify for getting the machine super discounted with the amount of pods I buy.  I'm an every couple months kind of person when it comes to this.  I need caffeine, not coffee.  I drink a lot of energy drinks (bad, I know.) on the go and a daily basis.  I save my coffees usually for when I'm home enjoying a cigar in the morning or afternoons.  

Thank you again, this is all great info and something I'll be on the lookout for. Cheers! 

YES! This is the kind of insight I was looking for, thank you.  I'll be on the lookout next week for Black Friday deals.  I don't think I qualify for getting the machine super discounted with the amount of pods I buy.  I'm an every couple months kind of person when it comes to this.  I need caffeine, not coffee.  I drink a lot of energy drinks (bad, I know.) on the go and a daily basis.  I save my coffees usually for when I'm home enjoying a cigar in the morning or afternoons.  
Thank you again, this is all great info and something I'll be on the lookout for. Cheers! 

No problem. Espresso is a good caffeine kick. Still worth looking at a machine plan. I think it’s $30.00 a month spend for a free machine. Take a look and see.

Did I say get a Creatista?? Lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, maverickdrinker said:

Did I say get a Creatista?? Lol.

Seconded!  I’m less than a week in with mine, a complete newb admittedly, but I’m loving it.  All the built in drinks at the push of a button are great, and playing around with the seemingly unlimited customization options has been enjoyable, as well. 

Picked up a couple sleeves of the Kona today and it is exceptional!

Thanks for all the info here, everyone.  Keep it coming!

• Like 1

Seconded!  I’m less than a week in with mine, a complete newb admittedly, but I’m loving it.  All the built in drinks at the push of a button are great, and playing around with the seemingly unlimited customization options has been enjoyable, as well. 
Picked up a couple sleeves of the Kona today and it is exceptional!
Thanks for all the info here, everyone.  Keep it coming!

Glad you are enjoying the Creatista.

How is the Kona and how much is it per sleeve in the US?

We don’t have it in Canada unfortunately....

4 minutes ago, maverickdrinker said:

Glad you are enjoying the Creatista.

How is the Kona and how much is it per sleeve in the US?

We don’t have it in Canada unfortunately....

I really enjoyed it. Nice and full bodied, good flavor. They were $12.50/sleeve

$1.25 per capsule. That’s a great price, considering it’s pure Kona beans used.

Glad you are enjoying your machine. Wait till you get hooked on the limited edition train. Lol.

Keep posting which flavours you like. Hope you enjoy exploring the different flavours/capsules available.

4 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:

If you want caffeine, try:

Kazaar - intensity 12

Napoli - intensity 13

Ristretto - intensity 10

India - intensity 11

If available, you may want to pick up the il caffe. It is part of the new holiday variations limited edition release and has an intensity of 13. It also has the most caffeine ever released in a capsule. 129mg of caffeine in the il caffe. The next closest is kazaar at 120 mg of caffeine.

A couple espresso shots in the morning gives you a good caffeine jolt. lol

Hope this helps

Figured I would share a few blogs and YouTube channels with everyone.

2 blogs I read are:

www.alvinbunk.wordpress.com and www.nespresso guide.com

Both are pretty good. I tend to read about capsules they both have tried to get a sense of what it would taste like before buying a sleeve.

On YouTube, I like to watch A2B productions. Pretty regular content and down to earth. Reviews aren’t too long and also good variety of content. Ranges from machines to pods to accessories. Also shares a few recipes here and there. Worth checking out.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Original vs Vertuo? Original, all the time.

I've tried several cups of the Vertuo line when I was at one of the Nespresso boutiques. Dude was trying real hard to sell me on a new machine, but the coffee was just ho-hum. I just don't like the style of coffee made from that type of machine.

Noticed today that Cafecito de Cuba is back and available on the Nespresso US site.  The gift set is sold out, but sleeves in original are available. 

Cheers, all

17 minutes ago, maverickdrinker said:

A BIG thank you to@BigGuns for sending these to me. You made my day bro. Looking forward to trying this!!!!

Cheers!  Hope you enjoy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maverickdrinker said:

Starbucks Holiday Blend in Nespresso capsule format now available at Loblaws and Metro in Toronto.... excited to try this tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the heads up!