El Presidente

Has anyone used a Fuego Electric lighter?

Recommended Posts

 

 

Jump to the 13 minute mark to see it light a cigar.

 I was thinking it may be idiot proof and perfect for Ken ;)

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe @DeskSmkr mentioned he had one in this thread.

I still think it is just an oversized car cigarette lighter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll try it.  I can add it to my pile/drawer of cigar accessories that I used a few times.  

Will say if it works it’d be handy on golf course/river/anywhere where it could be windy. Wonder how long it can work on a single charge?   I admit I only watched from 13 minute mark.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cigarette lighter in my early '60s Mustang would have probably done just as well as job as this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From at least one review it gets hot enough that you don't need to press the cigar into the metal grill (edit: at least not too hard). Should do about 20 cigars on a charge I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering how these will do for relights? Looks to me like it will cause a bit of a mess stabbing the cigar into the grill and releasing all the ash. Pretty much the same for touching up uneven burns?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I believe @DeskSmkr mentioned he had one in this thread.

I still think it is just an oversized car cigarette lighter.

Much agreed @Fuzz! I'd rather pick single flame torch than these USB cigar lighters for lighting cigars. Single flame torch works on even larger RG like Montecristo 1935 Leyenda except it takes a bit more time 😃.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeskSmkr said:

Yes, I’ve used the Fuego.

Thanks for the long thorough review that answered all my questions.   Hahah I keed I keed. 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BeerPimpHahaha! Yes, my answer was short and without any detail! What would you like to know about it? How can I help elaborate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DeskSmkr said:

@BeerPimpHahaha! Yes, my answer was short and without any detail! What would you like to know about it? How can I help elaborate?

Does it light cigars well? 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeskSmkr said:

@BeerPimpHahaha! Yes, my answer was short and without any detail! What would you like to know about it? How can I help elaborate?

What's the reliability been like?  Many amazon reviews seem to suggest the coils are fragile or burn out quickly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of a gimmick I bought out of the J C Whitney catalog years ago (maybe the late 60’s when I was a teenager.) It was a cigarette dispenser that mounted under the dashboard of my car. You’d load up a pack of cigarettes in it and when you pushed a button on the front of the unit a cigarette would roll down into a chamber and an arm with a heated element would push the cigarette out of a hole in the front of the unit and present you with a a lit cigarette. It met its demise one day when I had to pull over, rip the damn thing out from under the dash and throw it out the window after it tried to light all of the cigarettes in the unit. 
 

I think I’ll stick to a flame. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shelby07 said:

This reminds me of a gimmick I bought out of the J C Whitney catalog years ago (maybe the late 60’s when I was a teenager.) It was a cigarette dispenser that mounted under the dashboard of my car. You’d load up a pack of cigarettes in it and when you pushed a button on the front of the unit a cigarette would roll down into a chamber and an arm with a heated element would push the cigarette out of a hole in the front of the unit and present you with a a lit cigarette. It met its demise one day when I had to pull over, rip the damn thing out from under the dash and throw it out the window after it tried to light all of the cigarettes in the unit. 
 

I think I’ll stick to a flame. 

Was that the Ronson Robot Lighter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Was that the Ronson Robot Lighter?

I really don’t remember. I tried to find it before I posted but couldn’t. I just looked up the Robson robot lighter and I don’t remember it looking the same. As I recall, it had a small red button that started the process. But it functioned in a similar way. 
 

Of course, J C Whitney didn’t have a reputation of selling high quality stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No good for re-lights I suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 8:17 PM, Bijan said:

From at least one review it gets hot enough that you don't need to press the cigar into the metal grill (edit: at least not too hard). Should do about 20 cigars on a charge I believe.

Yes, light contact is intended and no contact lighting can be done. I don't know how many cigars per charge because I don't use their battery.

 

On 10/12/2020 at 7:45 PM, mprach024 said:

Does it light cigars well? 😀

It's pretty good.

 

On 10/12/2020 at 8:52 PM, slowsmoke said:

What's the reliability been like?  Many amazon reviews seem to suggest the coils are fragile or burn out quickly.

 

Couldn't tell you about the entire system. I bought two burners (coils) only, then attached to my own battery from a different company. I damaged the first coil by overheating it by doing repeated no contact lights, eventually got the insulator hot enough to melt and deform. Would it do that with their battery? I don't know.

Yes the heating element is thin metal, it has to be thin in order to function with a battery small enough to fit in the hand. Thin metal bends easier than thick metal. When metal heats up and glows red, it gets softer. I can see these Amazon reviewers jamming their cigar forcefully into the heating element and severely deforming it. Some deformation happened with my first one, but it still worked until I got it too hot.  There is a learning curve. I think it is reasonable to replace the burner head periodically - we have to replace butane and flints.

 

On 10/11/2020 at 9:35 PM, Meklown said:

Just wondering how these will do for relights? Looks to me like it will cause a bit of a mess stabbing the cigar into the grill and releasing all the ash. Pretty much the same for touching up uneven burns?

On 10/13/2020 at 11:49 AM, helix said:

No good for re-lights I suspect.

Relighting I did not try, the ash would need to be tapped off first. For touch ups on an uneven burn it gets hot enough to radiate heat and you can put the burner perpendicular to the cigar.

 

This is the first generation of a one of a kind product. We are looking at the portable facsimile of an automotive cigarette/cigar lighter - minus the 35 pound/16kg lead acid battery under the hood/bonnet. It lights a cigar without a flame. I gotta hand it to the guys that brought this to market. They made something that didn't exist by combining multiple technologies together, in a new way.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got one in the mail. Charging now. Will try and report back. I'm planning on using it for initial light and using butane torch for relights and touch ups.

 

On 10/15/2020 at 3:42 PM, DeskSmkr said:

Couldn't tell you about the entire system. I bought two burners (coils) only, then attached to my own battery from a different company. I damaged the first coil by overheating it by doing repeated no contact lights, eventually got the insulator hot enough to melt and deform. Would it do that with their battery? I don't know.

Their battery cycles and won't leave head heated for more than 15 seconds at a time apparently.

 

So far so good. Lit a RGP.

First rest cigar on lighter and turn it on to toast. Then repeat while puffing to light. Ended up a little uneven, one side of wrapper didn't light but it was easy to use the Fuego to touch up the other side. Picture below is from the unlighted side after touch up (before touch up wrapper was unlit to the foot).

Edit: required another touch up further down but touch up ability is limited by size of ash. Had to use a torch lighter either that or clear all the ash.

20201020_150845.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 12:42 AM, DeskSmkr said:

I don't know how many cigars per charge because I don't use their battery.

I used their battery and with a few relights and touch ups it did 10 cigars on a single charge but died lighting the tenth one, so perhaps 9 cigars.

Good enough for me if I just charge at the end of the day. I don't tend to smoke that many cigars in a single day 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.