Review - H Upmann Sir Winston - TRU JUL 19

MoeFOH

1 minute ago, Bri Fi said:

@asudevil08 I don’t think I’ve seen a box on 24:24 since the one I purchased, but I’d like to think they will show up again. 19 and 20 saw a revival of lost cigars like the Siglo VI and 898s. I hope there’s enough good tobacco out there to ramp up production. 

Yea I recently saw the 898s - hopefully its a teaser of things to come

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why, at least according to cubancigarwebsite.com, the Sir Winston packaging is called a cabinet? I always found it odd that cabinet became the nickname for SLBs when it was already technically a very different form of packaging.

17 minutes ago, philipl said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why, at least according to cubancigarwebsite.com, the Sir Winston packaging is called a cabinet? I always found it odd that cabinet became the nickname for SLBs when it was already technically a very different form of packaging.

Packaging is made of varnished wood

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Cohiba boite natures are also varnished wood. So I don't know maybe the different clasp mechanism or other feature.

That was what I thought; the "cabinet" seems like a marginally fancier boite nature box. In general, a box being varnished seems to be considered a modifier on the basic box type (vSLB, vSBN, vBN, v898B) as opposed to enough to justify a different packaging name.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why, at least according to cubancigarwebsite.com, the Sir Winston packaging is called a cabinet?

"Cabinet" is a common name, not a formal name unless stated in the actual name of the cigar like "xyz Cabinet Selection".

The technical name is "Varnished Boite Nature" box. What are referred to commonly as "cabs" are actually "Slide Lid Boxes". 

Actually, looking at CCW, other VBNs like the Cohiba Lanceros are described as "Varnished Boite Nature box of 25". I believe that to be more accurate for the SW. @ATGroom might want to take a look at that.

42 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

"Cabinet" is a common name, not a formal name unless stated in the actual name of the cigar like "xyz Cabinet Selection".

The technical name is "Varnished Boite Nature" box. What are referred to commonly as "cabs" are actually "Slide Lid Boxes". 

Actually, looking at CCW, other VBNs like the Cohiba Lanceros are described as "Varnished Boite Nature box of 25". I believe that to be more accurate for the SW. @ATGroom might want to take a look at that.

A couple of other ones too described as cabinets. Old Monte A 25 box and original Tainos 10 box and a handful of others. Might be CCW inconsistency. But I think boite nature might have that brooch clasp.

11 minutes ago, ATGroom said:

The Habanos packaging code for Cohiba Genios (I don't have a Lanceros code to hand, but it's much of a muchness) is BN for Boite Nature.

The code for Sir Winston is SBP for Estuche Especial or Special Cabinet.

So yes, the idea is that a cabinet is a high quality BN with the push latch. The were also made of cedar rather than plywood later than the BNs.

I explain it a little bit here. https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/packaging/information#Packaging_Types

I agree that it's all a bit confusing and really a distinction without a difference, however, it's on Habanos' end.

In recent years they also seem to have expanded the definition of SBP to include the new "luxury" boxes (both slide lid and SBN style) used on the limiteds, as well as the flat with rounded sides 8-9-8 boxes used on the Punch 48 and Punch 8-9-8 RE. Still thinking about how to handle all that in the CCW data.

Cool info!

So the SW is the only regular production cigar offered in Cabinet and with the SBP code. 

But @ATGroom, the current hinges on most V BNs appear to be identical to the SBP, and both are made of cedar. So we're left with the fancier latch to differentiate between V BN and SBP? I guess that's fine--at least it's one totally different characteristic (albeit trivial IMO.)

But digging a little deeper, I noticed you list the Monte Supremos as a "Luxury Box". I'm assuming this is an example of what you indicated is more SBP codes coming through on special production. To look at the box, at first blush, it would certainly appear to be in that category but a further look shows the same hinges, cedar wood and brooch clasp as are found on all standard V BNs. The laquer is just yellow instead of black as Cohiba Maduros use. The only physical difference between the Cohiba Maduro box and the Monte Supremos is the shape.

Clearly HSA classifying the Monte as a SBP necessitates that classification on CCW but it appears as though they are being inconsistent in their classifying characteristics.

2 hours ago, ATGroom said:

In recent years they also seem to have expanded the definition of SBP to include the new "luxury" boxes (both slide lid and SBN style) used on the limiteds, as well as the flat with rounded sides 8-9-8 boxes used on the Punch 48 and Punch 8-9-8 RE. Still thinking about how to handle all that in the CCW data.

If they're classifying the 1-layer 898 box as a "Luxury Box" they're off the deep end. I wasn't aware of that. Explains why a standard V BN like Monte Supremos can be called something it's not. 

I guess we just have to go with whatever they call it. They make the rules whether it's consistent or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thestogiewhisperer said:

Out of curiosity is there a reason you guys never use the perfect draw on cigars you’re reviewing when the draw is too tight ? 

Love the reviews guys, can’t wait to try my first sir winston when I can get my hands on one 

I don’t leave reviews, I leave that to people who can write better than me, but I always use mine on cigars that are too tight, I’ve saved some unsmokable sticks with it.  I keep a perfecdraw anywhere where I might smoke a cigar.  My man cave, my drinks cart for my deck, my golf bag, etc.

• Like 1

Besides the beautiful tobacco I find Sir Winston’s to be consistently one of the best rolled and filled cigars coming out of Cuba. They should have a firm draw, feel like a brick and smoke like a dream. Just like Rob and Ken’s did. Only tool required is a lighter.

5 hours ago, thestogiewhisperer said:

Out of curiosity is there a reason you guys never use the perfect draw on cigars you’re reviewing when the draw is too tight ? 

I personally don't use the PD unless I have to. I can tolerate a tighter draw, particularly when the cigar is well-constructed and burns well. When a cigar crosses over into "plugged" territory is when I break it out. If I have to engage muscle to draw on the cigar, it's plugged. I don't personally use the PD to achieve a "perfect draw" on every cigar. In my experience, sometimes you can totally ream out the cigar only to very slightly improve the draw. I use it as little and as infrequently as possible. 

• Like 3