Guidance on next CC pickups

If you want to skip the wall of text - skip down to the first bolded line below!

I am trying to build up stock and do it wisely so I don't get stuck with boxes I don't enjoy - right now I am at about 300 sticks. I am doing this both so I have sticks on hand for every occasion that I enjoy and I can share, but also so that I can start aging some of my real favorites.

I have been systematically trying to try many NC and Cuban sticks over the past 6 months to identify some of my favorites. My system has been that I buy two single sticks of everything that I want to try (I have probably tried 75-100 different ones now). I try the first one - I wait 30 days and then I try the next one (going to start waiting 60 days). I rate each stick. If both sticks put them at the top of my ratings list, then I buy a box. If one stick does not and the other does, and its obvious that the stick that I didn’t like either wasn’t given enough rest or was just a dud I may buy another stick and try again or I may take the risk and just buy a box.

This system is easier to do with NC’s because they are easier to get!

Anyway, I am planning another round of singles purchases for my next round of sampling. This round will be all Cubans. What I would like is some guidance on if you think I am missing any sticks that I should test. I am going to provide two pieces of info - 1. My list of favorite NC’s  2. My list of Cubans I have tried and what I though of them.

I generally like Medium-Full to Full body cigars. Somewhat paradoxically I haven’t liked any Maduro that I have tried. I can appreciate any size cigar, but tend to most often smoke Corona to Robusto size. I also like to keep a lot of smaller format hand rolled cigars around for 20-30 minute smokes (my go-tos right now are AF Exquisito and Short Story in the smaller format).

Here are my favorite NC’s (ranked with most liked at top):

Arturo Fuente - Hemingway

Padron - 50th anniversary - Natural - Churchill

Padron - Family Reserve No. 46 Natural

Padron - Family Reserve - 1964 Natural - No. 50

Padron - 1964 series standard Natural

Padrón - 1926 Series Standard Natural

My Father - flor de las antillas - Sun Grown - Toro  Grande

La Palina - lancero

Tatuaje - Miami Cojunu 2012 Sumatra

Fuente - 858 Sun Grown

Padron - #6000 - Natural

Padron - #3000

Montecristo #4 - US

Montesino - Churchill

Tatuaje - Series P Sumatra Robusto

Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur - US - number 1 (Presidente)

Arturo Fuente - exquisitos

Here is every Cuban I have tried, ranked from Best to Worst:

Romeo y Julieta- CUBA - Short Churchill (this cigar blew me away - ive had others since and Im beginning to think I got a bad box)

Montecristo - CUBA - #2. (Bought some more during latest Monte 24:24)

Montecristo - CUBA - Robusto Open Master - This one was great - but need to try a few more

Cohiba - CUBA - Medio Siglo

Montecristo - CUBA - no. 4 (Bought some more during latest Monte 24:24)

Partagas - CUBA - Serie D No. 4

Montecristo - CUBA - no. 5 (Bought some more during latest Monte 24:24)

Punch - CUBA - Punch - wouldn’t buy based on last experience  but will try again

Cohiba - CUBA - Siglo II - wouldn’t buy based on last experience  but will try again

Hoyo de Monterey - CUBA - wouldn’t buy based on last experience  but will try again

Partagas - CUBA - Serie E No. 2 - wouldn’t buy based on last experience  but will try again

Ramon Allones - CUBA - wouldn’t buy based on last experience  but will try again

Cohiba - CUBA - Exquisitos wouldn’t buy again

COHIBA - CUBA - wouldn’t buy again

Finally, this is the list I have put together for my next order for more Cubans to try (getting two of each):

Cohiba - CUBA - Behike

Hoyo de Monterrey - CUBA - Double Corona

Punch - CUBA - 898 (AP Regional)

H. Upmann - CUBA - Number 2

El Rey Del Mundo - CUBA - Tainos  (AP Regional)

Saint Luis Rey - CUBA - Regio

Trinidad - CUBA - Topes

Quai D'Orsay - CUBA - 54

Trinidad - CUBA - fundadores

Bolivar - CUBA - Belicoso Fino

H. Uppman - CUBA - Sir Winston

Partagas - CUBA - Lusitania

Bolivar - CUBA- Petit Corona

Montecristo - CUBA - Joyitas

Romeo y Julieta - CUBA - Churchil

Ive based my next order list so far on @El Presidente's what’s hot list and just reading around the forum, so I think its pretty good, but before I pull the trigger I wanted some help from you pros. Based on what I have tried and what I like, what cigars should I add to this next order list? Anything I should take off?

Thank you!

• Like 2

Looks like you have quite a wish list, I hope it's easy to find some of those cigars as singles!  If there's another xmas sampler, should try for them too!

Not going to be much help in the NC, as I really haven't been impressed enough to buy a box of any of them.  For the cubans - which HdM, Ramon Allones, and last cohiba did you try?  

Your next order looks good - maybe add in dip no 2's and juan lopez 1 or 2s.  I was blown away by a JL1 and it's the first box purchase I made after trying the cigar(PLMC's are cheap so got a box of that w/o trying it first)

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 9:57 AM, 99call said:
Hhhhmm?   if you're someone wanting to explore cubans, this is a pretty expensive list you've put together.    If money is no object, then fire away.  However, One of the greatest things about Cuban Cigars is that some of the cheapest cigars.... also happen to be the best, and most representative of their brand flavours.      A much cheaper alternative list would be this
Punch ----- Shorts de Punch
Upmann ------Half coronas
Romeo Y Julieta -------Petit Royales
Por Larranaga---------Montecarlos
Bolivar----------Coronas Junior
Ramon Allones -------- Small Club Coronas
Montecristo -----Media Corona
Hoyo -------Petit Robustos
Fonseca---------No 1
QDO --------50
Partagas -------Presidentes
San Cristobal De La Habana ----El Principe
Vegas Robaina -------Famoso
Rafael Gonzales -------Petit Corona
El Rey Del Mundo ------Demi Tasse
I think this list would give you a much cheaper, much more enjoyable, and much more varied expansive vision of how wonderful cuban tobacco can be.

All that said, your list is a good one, 

I may simply add these to the list! Great input. Thank you.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:00 AM, mprach024 said:
I’d try all the Upmann Mags, all different blends.  Personally I’d skip the behike this early on, rather you try a Siglo V.I. or Esplendido.  Could buy both for cheaper than the Behike, which won’t shine for 5 years or so.

Is there one that is most representative or are they truly all very different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on your rankings for CCs, it looks like you enjoy larger ring gauge cigars, are developing a liking for montecristo, and enjoy richer flavour profiles

Here’s a few to consider

Montecristo Edmundo/petit Edmundo//double Edmundo

Cohiba siglo VI

Cohiba esplendido

H upmann no. 2

H upmann magnum 54

H upmann Connie A

H upmann sir Winston

Ramon Allones Specially Selected

Juan Lopez no 2

Bolivar Belicosos Finos

bolivar Liberdarores

RyJ Churchill

RyJ exhibition no 4

To see if you enjoy smaller ring gauges

Montecristo especial and especial no. 2

Cohiba lancero

Hope this helps. Enjoy the adventure!

• Like 2

I would only add two comments to the above 

1) the smaller rg are just as flavorful and given that there is often more “filler” leaf in the larger rg are often where people start their cuban journey. You can cover more ground to see what you like. 

2) personally I stayed away from the larger more expensive rg sticks when I started, particularly cohibas and the double banded cigars. First many need to age to get to the point where there is a cost benefit IMHO. Second is that I took notes of the flavors that I found in cigars and liked and then found a few folks who had similar descriptions to the cigars. This was really helpful to me to pick what I wanted to try next and helped me pick out boxes to build my collection. That’s easier to do with the more frequently seen sticks. 

Take some time to really figure out what you like, think you may like and then get some sixers. This will take time and waiting for them to rest is a challenge. 

while you do that, if you have a regular production stick you like a lot, I would suggest you get a box. That way you have something to share if that’s your thing or something on hand you like and can smoke and see how there are variations in a box. For me, that box was Boli PC. I have plenty of cigars but still go back to that well frequently. Actually had a nice one last night. Now with a few boxes in the collection with different production years I can also see how the edges round over time. 

Lots to think about in this hobby but like beauty, it’s all what you like. Have fun with the ride. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, La_Tigre said:
Seems like you’re riffing on some Monte. I’d suggest the Petit Edmundo/Edmundo and the MC as previously suggested. Also R&J Ex. 4. 

Thank you! I love Monte’s for sure. I’ll add R&J to the list.

20 hours ago, maverickdrinker said:
Based on your rankings for CCs, it looks like you enjoy larger ring gauge cigars, are developing a liking for montecristo, and enjoy richer flavour profiles

Here’s a few to consider
Montecristo Edmundo/petit Edmundo//double Edmundo
Cohiba siglo VI
Cohiba esplendido
H upmann no. 2
H upmann magnum 54
H upmann Connie A
H upmann sir Winston
Ramon Allones Specially Selected
Juan Lopez no 2
Bolivar Belicosos Finos
bolivar Liberdarores
RyJ Churchill
RyJ exhibition no 4

To see if you enjoy smaller ring gauges
Montecristo especial and especial no. 2
Cohiba lancero

Hope this helps. Enjoy the adventure!

Thanks a lot - I’ll be adding these in if I can find singles! Anyone know where a man can get single Behikes?

14 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:
wow this is quite the consideration.............i would suggest takign it down a notch ..step back....relax....enjoy and dont put too much thought and emphasis into it....grab a few thigns to try and just take your time and let the cigars do the talkin ...enjoy!

That’s a reasonable thing to say, but unfortunately I’m unable to function that way. I am compelled to track things and try to make sure that I am putting away only the boxes that I would most enjoy. Which requires a system. I know some can just relax and smoke what comes their way - sometimes I wish that was me! Alas, it is not.

I’ll be able to relax when I know for sure I’ve smoked a reasonable representation of what’s out there and I know what is best for me. I’m already at this point for NC.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 99call said:

I hear what you're saying, and some part of what you're saying is similar to the way I am.  I like the feeling of knowing I have as least a number of boxes deep in cigars I want to keep hold of and enjoy..................sadly Cuba doesn't play that game.   trying a cigar or a few of the same cigar, form the same year, from the same code/factory, in the same shade of wrapper......maybe honing your odds, but often with Cuban cigars it can add up to jack shit! in terms of whether or not you buy bad or good boxes. 

It's a point of frustrations for so many people who are passionate about Cuban cigars.    The way it ended up working for me, is i did all my homework, made the best judgment calls I possibly could etc etc,  and in the end it's an absolute crap-shoot.   Boxes that look to be supreme examples.....aren't,  and boxes that look like road kill....are golden. 

I think quite rightly you should do whatever you want to do, and follow your own path,  but don't expect to world of Cuban Cigars to play fair, one minute your throwing a half smoked turd tasting $50 LE in a lake, the next your laughing your heart out at how good a simple RGPerla is.....it make no sense.....regardless of how much we want it too. 

^^^ 100% agree with this. I've had LE's that where unsmokeable and wow'd by a simple RG Perlas. In most cases a variety of vitolas aged standard production is my aim these days. I've gotten dimensing returns from LE's for the price. LCDH speciality vitolas not so much. If I was a collector then it would be different. But I buy to smoke them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rhinoww said:
I would only add two comments to the above 
1) the smaller rg are just as flavorful and given that there is often more “filler” leaf in the larger rg are often where people start their cuban journey. You can cover more ground to see what you like. 

2) personally I stayed away from the larger more expensive rg sticks when I started, particularly cohibas and the double banded cigars. First many need to age to get to the point where there is a cost benefit IMHO. Second is that I took notes of the flavors that I found in cigars and liked and then found a few folks who had similar descriptions to the cigars. This was really helpful to me to pick what I wanted to try next and helped me pick out boxes to build my collection. That’s easier to do with the more frequently seen sticks. 

Take some time to really figure out what you like, think you may like and then get some sixers. This will take time and waiting for them to rest is a challenge. 

while you do that, if you have a regular production stick you like a lot, I would suggest you get a box. That way you have something to share if that’s your thing or something on hand you like and can smoke and see how there are variations in a box. For me, that box was Boli PC. I have plenty of cigars but still go back to that well frequently. Actually had a nice one last night. Now with a few boxes in the collection with different production years I can also see how the edges round over time. 

Lots to think about in this hobby but like beauty, it’s all what you like. Have fun with the ride. 

Thanks a lot - I tend to prefer the smaller ring gauge myself normally.

I’ll keep this in mind. Ideally over the next 4-5 months I can identify and purchase 5-6 more boxes to start aging.

I don’t want to be stupid. But I really don’t mind putting down coin for cigars that I do enjoy.

Most expensive sticks I’ve had so far aren’t even Cuban at the moment - the Padron 50th at $50 a pop. They are a top 5 of mine.

1 hour ago, 99call said:
I hear what you're saying, and some part of what you're saying is similar to the way I am.  I like the feeling of knowing I have as least a number of boxes deep in cigars I want to keep hold of and enjoy..................sadly Cuba doesn't play that game.   trying a cigar or a few of the same cigar, form the same year, from the same code/factory, in the same shade of wrapper......maybe honing your odds, but often with Cuban cigars it can add up to jack shit! in terms of whether or not you buy bad or good boxes. 
It's a point of frustrations for so many people who are passionate about Cuban cigars.    The way it ended up working for me, is i did all my homework, made the best judgment calls I possibly could etc etc,  and in the end it's an absolute crap-shoot.   Boxes that look to be supreme examples.....aren't,  and boxes that look like road kill....are golden. 
I think quite rightly you should do whatever you want to do, and follow your own path,  but don't expect to world of Cuban Cigars to play fair, one minute your throwing a half smoked turd tasting $50 LE in a lake, the next your laughing your heart out at how good a simple RGPerla is.....it make no sense.....regardless of how much we want it too. 

I’m picking up on what you’re saying here elsewhere in the forum too. I’m really glad I found this place. It seems like getting to know my tastes and the different flavor profiles of the cigars and then keeping an eye on 24:24 here - I should be able to amass what I like and feel pretty good about consistency quality.

Was happy to stock up on some Montes last weekend for example.

35 minutes ago, dshot said:
^^^ 100% agree with this. I've had LE's that where unsmokeable and wow'd by a simple RG Perlas. In most cases a variety of vitolas aged standard production is my aim these days. I've gotten dimensing returns from LE's for the price. LCDH speciality vitolas not so much. If I was a collector then it would be different. But I buy to smoke them.

I’ll have to try these RG Perlas. Never even heard of them.

Thanks everyone for the help. Here is the list I ended up with:

Juan Lopez - No. 1

Juan Lopez - No. 2

Diplomaticos - CUBA - No. 2

Cohiba - CUBA - Behike

Cohiba - CUBA - Siglo VI

Cohiba - CUBA - Esplendido

Cohiba - CUBA - Lancero

Hoyo de Monterrey - CUBA - Double Corona

Hoyo de Monterrey - CUBA - Petit Robustos

Por Larranaga - CUBA - Montecarlo

Punch - CUBA - 898 (AP Regional)

Punch - Shorts de Punch

Fonseca - CUBA - No. 1

H. Upmann - CUBA - Number 2

H. Uppman - CUBA - Sir Winston

H. Uppman - CUBA - Half Corona

H. Uppman - CUBA - Mag 46

H. Uppman - CUBA - Mag 54

H. Uppman - CUBA - Connoisseur A

El Rey Del Mundo - CUBA - Tainos  (AP Regional)

Saint Luis Rey - CUBA - Regio

Trinidad - CUBA - Topes

Trinidad - CUBA - fundadores 

Quai D'Orsay - CUBA - 54 

Quai D'Orsay - CUBA - 50

Bolivar - CUBA - Belicoso Fino

Bolivar - CUBA - Petit Corona

Bolivar - CUBA - Coronas Junior

Bolivar - CUBA - Liberdarores

San Cristobal De La Habana - CUBA - El Principe

Vegas Robaina - CUBA - Famoso

Rafael Gonzalez - CUBA - Petit Corona

Rafael Gonzales - CUBA - Perla

El Rey Del Mundo - CUBA - Demi Tasse

Partagas - CUBA - Lusitania

Partagas - CUBA - Presidentes

Montecristo - CUBA - Joyitas

Montecristo - CUBA - Media Corona

Montecristo - CUBA - Edmundo

Montecristo - CUBA - Petit Edmundo

Montecristo - CUBA - Especial

Montecristo - CUBA - Especial No. 2

Ramon Allones - CUBA - Small Club Coronas

Romeo y Julieta - CUBA - Churchill

Romeo y Julieta - CUBA - Petit Royales

Romeo y Julieta - CUBA - Exhibicion No. 4
  • Like 1

I never recommend individual cigars for those beginning their journey with CCs. I recommend trying the two or three most popular cigars in each brand and narrowing down your preference in brand. When you find the top 5 brands you like, further explore those. 

After you've found a good rotation and become experienced with those, you can go back and further examine the brands you didn't initially like. You might find you can appreciate a brand you didn't like after more experience with CCs. 

I would definitely suggest this approach as you have some very expensive cigars on your list. For example, if you don't like Cohiba you're probably not going to appreciate or like a Behike. If you don't like Punch you're probably not going to like the 898. I would urge you to avoid all special production.

• Like 4

The joyitas are very good cigars, but quite pricey for what they are, I'd only recommend getting them if you can get a discount. 

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

For example, if you don't like Cohiba you're probably not going to appreciate or like a Behike. If you don't like Punch you're probably not going to like the 898. I would urge you to avoid all special production.

I've gotta disagree with you here. I dislike Punch's regular production, but really enjoy the 48 and 898, although it's possible I may have gotten a bad batch.

Speaking of, the 48 is a nice cigar with a similar profile to the 898, but with much less intensity and less chocolate notes. I'd recommend getting a box, much easier to pick up than the 898 as well and cheaper.

• Like 1

I think you’re planning this out too much, to be frank you can plan all you want, good luck finding half these in singles.  Unless you live near an LCDH store you can walk into, rarer stick singles are tough to source, and honestly while many of those cigars are good you are jumping 5 steps.  You’re buying an ‘82 Chateau Latour to see if you like Red Wine.

Here’s my recommendation.  See a single available you haven’t had before?  Buy a couple.  If you don’t like them don’t buy any more, if you do buy a box and rest them 90 days. Repeat further until you don’t have any more room to hold cigars or money to spend.  You don’t need to “solve” cigars in a week, take your time.  

• Like 4

On 10/16/2020 at 6:56 PM, 99call said:

don't expect to world of Cuban Cigars to play fair,

So true.   I have been working through a box of 2014 Partagas D4s acquired here.   Some were outstanding, some were totally mediocre--with absolutely no pattern or logic to it.

If someone asks me what I think about D4s, my palms are up--no clue!

Will I buy more?   No clue!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thatsze said:

I've gotta disagree with you here. I dislike Punch's regular production, but really enjoy the 48 and 898, although it's possible I may have gotten a bad batch.

That's fine--that would be a brand that you could circle back to after finding your regular rotation. I'm assuming even though you like it, you don't have the 48 in your regular rotation and obviously the 898 isn't going to be around very long and is quite pricey. 

I think it just limits the amount of time and money one spends on finding CCs they like. I would venture to guess 90% of CC smokers have 90% of their regular rotation in 5 brands or fewer. I know I do. 90% of the cigars I smoke are HU, Monte, VR and SC. My suggestion just tries to expedite that process.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 5:46 PM, NSXCIGAR said:
I never recommend individual cigars for those beginning their journey with CCs. I recommend trying the two or three most popular cigars in each brand and narrowing down your preference in brand. When you find the top 5 brands you like, further explore those. 
After you've found a good rotation and become experienced with those, you can go back and further examine the brands you didn't initially like. You might find you can appreciate a brand you didn't like after more experience with CCs. 
I would definitely suggest this approach as you have some very expensive cigars on your list. For example, if you don't like Cohiba you're probably not going to appreciate or like a Behike. If you don't like Punch you're probably not going to like the 898. I would urge you to avoid all special production.

Fair enough - I tried a similar approach to this with NC’s and it worked out well.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:09 AM, Thatsze said:
The joyitas are very good cigars, but quite pricey for what they are, I'd only recommend getting them if you can get a discount. 

Speaking of, the 48 is a nice cigar with a similar profile to the 898, but with much less intensity and less chocolate notes. I'd recommend getting a box, much easier to pick up than the 898 as well and cheaper.

Thanks for the tip on tue Joyitas - looking at them as as a 20 minute cigar option. I’m open to other suggestions: I do have some Cohiba shorts that I’m not a huge fan of.

22 hours ago, mprach024 said:
I think you’re planning this out too much, to be frank you can plan all you want, good luck finding half these in singles.  Unless you live near an LCDH store you can walk into, rarer stick singles are tough to source, and honestly while many of those cigars are good you are jumping 5 steps.  You’re buying an ‘82 Chateau Latour to see if you like Red Wine.

Here’s my recommendation.  See a single available you haven’t had before?  Buy a couple.  If you don’t like them don’t buy any more, if you do buy a box and rest them 90 days. Repeat further until you don’t have any more room to hold cigars or money to spend.  You don’t need to “solve” cigars in a week, take your time.  

i appreciate your input and you are right - I’m not going to be able to solve Cuban cigars.

I did try a similar approach with a similar number of cigars with NC’s and I was happy the result. I like confidently being able to walk into a cigar shop and know what I like and what I don’t. I also like being able to splurge on boxes with a little more certainty. I can’t imagine what boxes of NC’s I would have laying around that I don’t enjoy anymore if I had done it differently.

I’m under no illusions that I will get all of these in singles - I have two sources I am buying from. I’ll get what I can from them and then perhaps check again in a few months. Additionally when we can leave the country again I will pick up whatever else is missing that I can. Not too worried about getting the most expensive sticks on the list - I’ll get them if I can find them, otherwise no sweat.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, Yellot00tr said:
Hope some people here see your list and knock off a bunch of those at a time might be your best play. Samplers from Rob might be your only other play. Good luck and happy hunting. 

I’ll check out the samplers - didn’t think about that. Thanks!