MAESTRO DEL TIEMPO 5205 Talk me into it!!

So, the last non cuban I smoked would probably be about 19years + ago, and for the life of me I cant remember what it would have been. It didn't leave a good impression..... all I could remember was a vague impression that Nicaraguan cigars were oily, strong and nasty.  Dominican and Ecuadorian cigars were overly soft creamy and characterless.

Anyway. for some reason the Warped brand is calling out to me, I have a strange feeling like the MAESTRO DEL TIEMPO 5205 might be a cigar that floats my boat.    Can anyone out there in the wonderful world of FOH talk me into it?, give me that final shove and make me buy my first box of non CC in two decades?

Are they a worthwhile experience? do they contain any synthetic flavours? (a massive dealbreaker for me)  the moment I sense any sort of fake additive flavour it's game over, they would go straight in the trash. 

Be interested to hear some opinions

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zyxwvu44 said:

I'm not sure I've ever tasted artificial flavors in a cigar? What's an example you're talking about?

You hear horror stories of Gurkha cigars, and the spraying of cognac  etc.  I guess i just have a my guard up, Anything that is available to us in the UK that is either from or designed for the US market, whether is be coffee or food etc etc tastes worryingly over engineered.   I've just been unplugged from NC cigars for so long, I don't know what they've developed into. whether they are a totally natural product, or whether they've been adulterated with whatever

19 minutes ago, 99call said:

do they contain any synthetic flavours? (a massive dealbreaker for me)  the moment I sense any sort of fake additive flavour it's game over, they would go straight in the trash. 

I have no idea if Warped uses any additives but a recent discussion with Hammy opened my eyes as to  how extensive additives were in flavouring many NC's. From simple bethune to full on paint and everything in between.  There is room for all styles. Drew Estate was laughed at in the 90's for their ACID cigars and today are one of the leading brands  in the world whether you personally like them or not. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

I have no idea if Warped uses any additives but a recent discussion with Hammy opened my eyes as to  how extensive additives were in flavouring many NC's. From simple bethune to full on paint and everything in between.  There is room for all styles. Drew Estate was laughed at in the 90's for their ACID cigars and today are one of the leading brands  in the world whether you personally like them or not. 

Scary, this is what I'm talking about.   I think some countries have just had it for so long (i.e. natural products overly tampered with, and "boosted) that they just cant detect it anymore, or that it's par for course.            I always just taste it instantly, and my brain say's.   "Nope, not not me"

Hhhmm,   It seem's like the jury is massively still out.  I'll stick to CC's  where the only foreign objects entering my cigars is pubic hair, love letters, or yesterdays rice and peas.  all 100% natural

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I used to buy a lot of Warped cigars. Now that Kyle mostly does limited hype releases you can usually get some high end CC for the same or less than a warped cigar. At this point I’d personally take a Partagas short of any warped cigar. 

• Like 4

I’m a big fan of warped. The la Colmena is great along with the blend the medio tempio. The Flor de valle is great as well, same goes for cloud hopper . Buy with confidence. If you don’t like them I’ll buy them from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m a big fan of warped. The la Colmena is great along with the blend the medio tempio. The Flor de valle is great as well, same goes for cloud hopper . Buy with confidence. If you don’t like them I’ll buy them from you.

Warped cigars are really good because they're Cubanesque. That shouldn't be a selling point on this forum. I also feel that since Kyle has fallen into his pretentious ass with numerous limited releases, I see no reason to buy them anymore.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Warped doesn’t have any additives in any of their cigars as far as I’m aware. If you are a CC smoker there is a good chance you would enjoy his cigars. I’ve smoked many and have a box of Maestro Del Tiempo sitting in my cabinet right now. 

• Like 1

Warped cigars are really good because they're Cubanesque. That shouldn't be a selling point on this forum. I also feel that since Kyle has fallen into his pretentious ass with numerous limited releases, I see no reason to buy them anymore.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Hasn’t Cuba done the same? Limited, regional, book, reserva, gran reserva, behike, 80th anniversary Monte, antique humidor, travel humidor, lcdh... anejado. I’m sure I missed something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The issue is Kyle got rid of some of his core brands in favor of limited releases. I really enjoyed flor de valle but last I checked they only had one or two limited sizes for $12 a stick. There was also Corto in a Robusto size but that was done away with for another size. A line should have more than one size. 

I agree Kyle is talented and uses good tobacco and would not hesitate to recommend to someone wanting a nic cigar. But since they are marketed as cubanesque why not just buy actual cuban cigars for less money? 

• Like 2

It is a good cigar, but it's not a Cuban.  It could be a nice change of pace cigar, especially for some variety in a morning smoke.  But if Cubans are what you like, stick with them, because it's just not the same.  

Side note - I actually prefer the 5712 vitola which is a 4.5x52 short robusto.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Doctorossi said:

Why don't you try a couple singles first?

I'm in the UK, and my only available source is by the box.   I reckon I'll give them a go at €194 for a box of lonsdales should provide a decent value option. 

• Like 3

I personally really enjoy Warped as a brand. Their Serie Gran Reserva 1988 and the Don Reynaldo have both been great cigars. They are one of my top NC brands currently, so I don't think you will be too disappointed in picking some up.

19 hours ago, Bijan said:

Fair point but Cuba got rid of 3/4 of regular production 

To set the record straight, Cuba didn't drop any cigars that actually sold well ;)

Maybe H. Upmann Petit Corona but even there it was a questionable commercial success. 

23 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

To set the record straight, Cuba didn't drop any cigars that actually sold well ;)

Maybe H. Upmann Petit Corona but even there it was a questionable commercial success. 

Well definitely not the biggest sellers (practically no Cohiba or Montecristo drops, and the big six Marcas have a healthy number of vitolas, but definitely cigars popular on this forum :) (Bolivar, Ramon Allones, El Rey Del Mundo, all those gutted)

None of the Lonsdales sold well? Coronas? Churchills (Tainos either one, Bolivar Gigantes, Punch either one)?

I was not in the game in the early 2000s, and never in the business so you definitely know better.

But by that logic it seems like they can drop a lot more :(

Edit: I am merely bitter, because I smoke close to 100% regular production, and like thinner ring gauge cigars too, but the trend is special production and fat cigars... Though likely that's where the market/dollars are. As you said you can't blame a manufacturer for marketing. Just wish they tapped the whole market, instead of the lowest hanging fruit.

• Like 1

• 99call changed the title to MAESTRO DEL TIEMPO 5205 Talk me into it!!

Warped's Don Reynaldo are fantastic, and boxes are only 10 so it's not a huge investment. I smoked the first out of a box of Regalos recently (regular production vitola) and immediately went and purchased a box of the Coronas de Luxe (original vitola of limited release, recently released again) as well.

• Like 1