Celebratory Bottle(s) Suggestions

DBNInc

I was going to post this in response to a comment @BrightonCorgi made in the “Recent Acquisitions” thread, but it became too long and I figured I should start a separate thread instead of interrupting that one.

I’m interested in 2013 and 2019 bottles for an anniversary and kids birthday, respectively; any specific suggestions?  If it helps narrow down the choices:

I don’t recall ever trying port, but I enjoyed a Lustau PX Sherry bottle I purchased once.  I enjoy port finished Glendronach, but Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban not as much.  Is there a port I could try that would be a good representation?

I also like certain champagnes, though I’m not well versed in them.  I also have no idea what, if any, “expiration dates” they have.

I typically enjoy Argentine Malbec and Buttery Chardonnays, but they don’t seem “special” enough for a celebration.  Any advice or suggestions would be greatly welcome, thanks in advance!

What type of wine/spirit are you looking for? Are you looking to buy a few cases of wine so you can open a bottle every year? Or are you looking to buy a whisky to open on the 18th birthday? Or simply a glass or two on the special day each year? 

For whiskies, spirits that have been distilled in 2013 and 2019 would still be mostly aging away in barrels. 2013 distillations are just hitting the market recently but will surely increase over the next few years. 8-12 year old Caol Ilas by indie bottlers coming out recently have been stellar so I see no reason why 2013 vintages will not follow that trend. One example that has already hit the market - https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/caol-ila/caol-ila-6-yea-old-cask-315817-dram-mor-whisky/. If you're into Japanese whisky, https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/139421/chichibu-paris-edition-2019 if money is no object / if you're able to find a willing seller! 

Alternatively, you may want to look for whiskies that have been bottled in the respective years instead. Options for these are frankly unlimited!
Distillers Editions (look for your favourite distillery) - https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/lagavulin/lagavulin-2003-bottled-2019-pedro-ximenez-cask-finish-distillers-edition-whisky/
Special series releases - https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2019/10/diageo-reveals-full-details-of-2019-special-releases/ OR https://hunterlaing.com/2019/05/hunter-laing-presents-2019-edition-kinship-collection/

One idea however, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-54040307.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:27 PM, DBNInc said:

I don’t recall ever trying port, but I enjoyed a Lustau PX Sherry bottle I purchased once.  I enjoy port finished Glendronach, but Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban not as much.  Is there a port I could try that would be a good representation?

I also like certain champagnes, though I’m not well versed in them.  I also have no idea what, if any, “expiration dates” they have. 

I would try an LBV (Late Bottle Vintage) port to see what a vintage port would taste like.  Warre, Dow, Noval, and Niepoort are great ones.  They cost much less than a Vintage Port and are made in the same style.  LBV's spend longer in wood before bottling to make them more easily enjoyed at a younger age.  You can drink an LBV as soon as its released and for 20+ years after it too.  Ruby Reserve ports are also another one to consider.  Noval Black, Grahams Six Grapes, and Fonseca Bin 27 are all excellent affordable choices.

Vintage Champagne is going to require proper storage to cellar and any decent Vintage Champagne is at least $125 USD and goes up from there.  The vintages are often release several years after the vintage. 

There's no reason you couldn't store both Vintage Port and Vintage Champagne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2020 at 6:48 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

I would try an LBV (Late Bottle Vintage) port to see what a vintage port would taste like.  Warre, Dow, Noval, and Niepoort are great ones.  They cost much less than a Vintage Port and are made in the same style.  LBV's spend longer in wood before bottling to make them more easily enjoyed at a younger age.  You can drink an LBV as soon as its released and for 20+ years after it too.  Ruby Reserve ports are also another one to consider.  Noval Black, Grahams Six Grapes, and Fonseca Bin 27 are all excellent affordable choices.

Vintage Champagne is going to require proper storage to cellar and any decent Vintage Champagne is at least $125 USD and goes up from there.  The vintages are often release several years after the vintage. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try a couple of LBV.  Would a cool (55-65F), humid cellar work for storage?

On 10/22/2020 at 3:19 PM, Meklown said:

What type of wine/spirit are you looking for? Are you looking to buy a few cases of wine so you can open a bottle every year? Or are you looking to buy a whisky to open on the 18th birthday? Or simply a glass or two on the special day each year? 

For whiskies, spirits that have been distilled in 2013 and 2019 would still be mostly aging away in barrels. 2013 distillations are just hitting the market recently but will surely increase over the next few years. 8-12 year old Caol Ilas by indie bottlers coming out recently have been stellar so I see no reason why 2013 vintages will not follow that trend. One example that has already hit the market - https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/caol-ila/caol-ila-6-yea-old-cask-315817-dram-mor-whisky/. If you're into Japanese whisky, https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/139421/chichibu-paris-edition-2019 if money is no object / if you're able to find a willing seller! 

Alternatively, you may want to look for whiskies that have been bottled in the respective years instead. Options for these are frankly unlimited!
Distillers Editions (look for your favourite distillery) - https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/lagavulin/lagavulin-2003-bottled-2019-pedro-ximenez-cask-finish-distillers-edition-whisky/
Special series releases - https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2019/10/diageo-reveals-full-details-of-2019-special-releases/ OR https://hunterlaing.com/2019/05/hunter-laing-presents-2019-edition-kinship-collection/

One idea however, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-54040307.

Thanks for the suggestions, whisk(e)y I’m fairly well experienced with.  The prices have gone out of control for spirits, so I’m not currently considering them anyway.  The post I linked to mentioned wine, possibly dry and fortified; and I mentioned champagne in addition.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Amen on the Fonseca. John

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DBNInc said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try a couple of LBV.  Would a cool (55-65F), humid cellar work for storage?

Yes, that will be fine for long term storage of any wine.  As long as it doesn't get in the 70's.  The more humid the better. 

• Thanks 1

Great advice on the LBV, I was going to suggest this as well. Additionally, recent years of vintage port are still quite affordable when young. So you could try some LBV offerings of some different houses in those vintages you’re looking at. You’ll get a feel for what you like and what those specific harvests contain flavor and body wise. Generally, a vintage port will be tannic and acidic when young, so you really do have to age them for about 10yrs before you’ll enjoy them (longer often yields better results). Still with these young vintages it can be a crap shoot, since they don’t have proper age on them yet so no one knows with certainty what they’ll become yet. That’s why the older vintages can be so damned expensive, we already know how good they’ve become ?

• Thanks 1

you won't get vintage ports from 13 or 19 if you want those vintages. 

13 in champagne is starting to get some good reviews but very few of the big names are out yet. louis roederer 2013 is out and that would be a good choice. if cellared well, it will age for many years. 12s are probably the better year but that might not fit the plan. way too early for 19 champagnes. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

you won't get vintage ports from 13 or 19 if you want those vintages. 

13 in champagne is starting to get some good reviews but very few of the big names are out yet. louis roederer 2013 is out and that would be a good choice. if cellared well, it will age for many years. 12s are probably the better year but that might not fit the plan. way too early for 19 champagnes. 

13 and 19 are not available, or not good years so they didn’t make them?

29 minutes ago, DBNInc said:

13 and 19 are not available, or not good years so they didn’t make them?

13 and 19 were not made in the douro so no vintage ports (you may find an occasional outlier but not by the top producers - plus the 18s only just being released so there would not be 19s for some time in any event, if they had).

in champagne, 12 was a stunning vintage so 13 has slipped into the shadows. we are now hearing that there should be some good 13s but very few released yet. you might get some from growers and roederer always goes early. they do make brilliant champagnes so their 13 your best bet. but other 13s will not be out for some time. in some cases years. not sure of the quality of 19 in champagne. have not heard anything too positive. it follows 18 which is supposedly another star vintage. but the process means that it would not be legal to have a finished 19 from champagne as yet (vintage champagnes need a minimum of three years on lees, though most have a lot more these days). they are still being made, if they exist. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

13 and 19 were not made in the douro so no vintage ports (you may find an occasional outlier but not by the top producers - plus the 18s only just being released so there would not be 19s for some time in any event, if they had).

in champagne, 12 was a stunning vintage so 13 has slipped into the shadows. we are now hearing that there should be some good 13s but very few released yet. you might get some from growers and roederer always goes early. they do make brilliant champagnes so their 13 your best bet. but other 13s will not be out for some time. in some cases years. not sure of the quality of 19 in champagne. have not heard anything too positive. it follows 18 which is supposedly another star vintage. but the process means that it would not be legal to have a finished 19 from champagne as yet (vintage champagnes need a minimum of three years on lees, though most have a lot more these days). they are still being made, if they exist. 

Thank you very much!  I’ll look for that Roederer.  I saw a Bollinger Grande Année 12 recently, how do you feel about that one?  I enjoyed the 2007, how would you say they compare?

1 hour ago, DBNInc said:

Thank you very much!  I’ll look for that Roederer.  I saw a Bollinger Grande Année 12 recently, how do you feel about that one?  I enjoyed the 2007, how would you say they compare?

07 is a very fine champers. 12 is a real step up, across the board.

a further alternative is to wait for a few years, if these are for the future, and to pick up some 2019 Bordeaux or Burgundy. both seem to be very solid years and should age well.