Humidor Humidity Check

Gorangutang

I am thinking this is fine - but I just added a wood humidor from American Chest to my collection. I age and long-term store my cigars at 65% in various tupperdors with cedar trays.

Ive moved about 50 or so cigars to the humidor that already have age on them to basically be my smoking stash. 

I seasoned the humidor for 2 full weeks with a Boveda seasoning kit and the humidor passes the dollar bill test. However, one of the joints on the back left corner where the Spanish Cedar is laid doesn't come together tightly, there is a small gap.

Anyway - I now have it loaded with cigars (all the cigars were already up to the right humidity). The potential problem is this - the highest humidity I record in the humidor is 61% with a 65% Boveda in there.

In a tupperdor a 65% Boveda will get you all the way up to 65% every time.

I am thinking the seal is obviously not perfect but fine for wood. I won't be able to expect any wooden humidor to hold at 65%. But 4% is a bit more loss than I was expecting.

Should I replace the humidor or just bump up to a 68% boveda in the Humidor?

Thanks!

I am thinking this is fine - but I just added a wood humidor from American Chest to my collection. I age and long-term store my cigars at 65% in various tupperdors with cedar trays.
Ive moved about 50 or so cigars to the humidor that already have age on them to basically be my smoking stash. 
I seasoned the humidor for 2 full weeks with a Boveda seasoning kit and the humidor passes the dollar bill test. However, one of the joints on the back left corner where the Spanish Cedar is laid doesn't come together tightly, there is a small gap.
Anyway - I now have it loaded with cigars (all the cigars were already up to the right humidity). The potential problem is this - the highest humidity I record in the humidor is 61% with a 65% Boveda in there.
In a tupperdor a 65% Boveda will get you all the way up to 65% every time.
I am thinking the seal is obviously not perfect but fine for wood. I won't be able to expect any wooden humidor to hold at 65%. But 4% is a bit more loss than I was expecting.
Should I replace the humidor or just bump up to a 68% boveda in the Humidor?
Thanks!
If you think you got a defective humidor (bad joint) then by all means call 'em on it. But with that said, I run 69s in my "good" wooden humidor and 72s in my cheap one because they'll never seal to the level of a sistema tupperdor.
  • Like 1

If you think you got a defective humidor (bad joint) then by all means call 'em on it. But with that said, I run 69s in my "good" wooden humidor and 72s in my cheap one because they'll never seal to the level of a sistema tupperdor.

Well this is the expensive humidor I’ve ever owned. I’m not sure that it’s defective at all. Might just be par for the course - wood is always going to be an imperfect seal.

I don’t necessarily think it’s bunk. What humidity do you normally actually achieve in your good humidor that you keep a 69% in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is the expensive humidor I’ve ever owned. I’m not sure that it’s defective at all. Might just be par for the course - wood is always going to be an imperfect seal.

I don’t necessarily think it’s bunk. What humidity do you normally actually achieve in your good humidor that you keep a 69% in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't notice a notification here, hence the late reply.

It's not that putting a 69 boveda pack in a wooden humidor magically gives me a 66 but rather it starts at 69 goes to 68 goes to 67 etc and just buys me a bit more time to rotate it out, of that makes sense.