Your summary thoughts of the Water Test Review week?

Which wrapper did you prefer?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your summary thoughts of the Water Test Review week?

Thank you you to all who participated!  What a great set of reviews. 

Steve will draw the winners later today and I will arrange the mailout of the FOH cigar stands over the next week. 

Just so that no one who participated misses out, give us a brief summary of your thoughts on this thread. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I thought it was pretty cool! I’m only a few years in to the hobby so I find these review experiments to good for honing tasting abilities.   I smoked Mag 54’s, the dipped one seemed to have a more “wet earth” flavor going on, not too much change in how the stick smoked. Thumbs up from me for any similar review ideas from FoH

• Like 1

My Monte 4 dry was just ok, and the wet was a better smoke.  Although to me it was enjoyable on its, not as a good example of the cigar itself, it was much different than any other Monte 4 I’d had, good or bad.  Very smooth, quite mild, lost a lot of the flavors I want in a Monte, but still was a good smoke.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Subcomandante said:

My PLPC the flavors were muddled and less defined in the wet cigar. I’d like to do another test with the same cigar. I think it might work better with a stronger young cigar to help mellow it out. 

I had the exact same experience (with the same cigar). 

Lighter flavors rose to the surface more, but general flavors were more melded together, not necessarily bad, but less individual flavors, more a bouquet. 

Unsure, but the moisture may have messed up the draw in the final third. More testing (smoking) needed... ?

• Like 2

Both of the 2016 Monte 4's scored the same for me at 90/100.  The wet cigar kept a shorter ash than the dry one and started with a better burst of chocolate in the 1st couple minutes.  The wet cigar didn't end up cracking in the end so that was a plus, but it didn't have any affect on performance nonetheless. Will keep the water test as an interesting bar trip to have up my sleeve "Yo Steve! Check this out..."   

• Like 1

I'd say the water drop is much like anything else in this hobby- there's no blanket method or strategy that works for us all.  Mine ended up proving that I prefer my sticks more dry than not, but also showed me when it might be beneficial to give it a run under the faucet. 

Fun experiment!

• Like 2

I enjoyed the wet El Principe more!  That said, I have dipped CC's many times to help with a very loose draw.  It always helps tighten up the draw as well as (seems crazy), helps the burn be much more consistent.  Several other reviewer's thought their wet CC burned better as well.  I do believe that some cigars perform better at a higher RH than others that are better dry.  As an example, I prefer all of my NC's at a higher RH than my CC's.

For this test I preferred the dry RG PC's flavor characteristics to those of the wet one. However, the burn on the wet cigar was better than on the dry one. I have used the water method on a number of cigars in the past and have always enjoyed them. It definitely seemed to improve the burn of most of them. Not smoking a dry sample right after the wet ones, I wasn't able to discern the muting of the flavors as easily as I was during this test. I will continue to occasionally wet a cigar I think might give me burn problems.

Preferred my dry cigar as it had more flavor nuances vs the wet cigar which made 2 flavors overwhelm the others.  It was a cool experiment, I didn't expect the cigar to dry and be smokeable after a dunk in water.  In the future, if I have a disappointing cigar, maybe try to rub it with a wet paper towel or something in hopes that it changes for the better!

I participated in the study, but was too lazy to write my impressions. I found the wet (activated) wrapper produced a stronger flavor. I have always been a believer in the wrapper accounting for a great percentage of the flavor of a cigar... I used PLPC's for the comparison. 

Wet was a better smoke for me but I'm pretty sure it's a case of the dry one being rolled too tight in the first place. Smoke seemed more velvety in the wet as well. Should repeat the experiment a few more times to account for the cigar inconsistencies! 

Reviewers have summarised their individual findings but what are our thoughts on the results in general? Especially when studied in conjunction with the FOHrensics Monte #4 experiment.

For example, do CCs smoke better when the inner leaf is drier than the wrapper? This would be the opposite of most sticks that are too dry, assuming the wrapper dries out first? Just trying to make some sense of all the results!

• Like 1

I thought the wet perla was better but it wasn't a clear apple to apple comparison. There are parts of the wet perla I liked better (the start of the smoke, the creaminess) but I also got a bit bored with it because it didn't develop as much as the dry perla (not sure if it was that cigar specifically or what but will have to try again).

I couldn't really tell much difference, think the ash was slightly more dirty but for the effort it's easier to smoke the dry cigar if it doesn't give much benefit.

Like the poll and idea, really fun concept!