Beat THIS ONE Palate Snobs

I'm usually blessed with a palate that detects flavors ranging from "smoky tobacco" all the way to "charred tobacco". I kid...a little, but trying to detect mild flavors is a work in progress for me.

Having said that, I got hints of...frankincense in a couple year old Bolivar BF tonight. It wasn't for more than a couple puffs, but it was full on, crystallized, burn in an incense pot frankincense. It was actually really pleasant. This whole cigar has been. Probably the best BBF I've had. 

What's one of the strangest flavors you've picked up, that you still found to be a nice addition?

• Like 3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The more you become familiar with essential oils, the more that you will find them in cigars. Sandalwood, albeit not all that often is one sometimes mentioned here. I often taste gasoline in ciga

?? The english language is such a malcontented, self-confused, mutant bastard stepchild of so many forebears, it's as if matisse made a painting, and a sculpture, and a poem - in one piece of wor

I've gotten hints of Turtle Wax car polish a couple times. It took me a while to identify what I was tasting. Also gotten hints of toy cap gun/gunpowder. Odd but good aroma.

Here's the crazy one... slight hints of roadkill. But not in a disgusting way. More like that strange funky smell on a very humid summer morning around a lot vegetation, like boggy weeds in a ditch. I didn't mind it because it was so mysterious and intriguing.

• Like 1

I’ve been smoking cigars for twenty years, last five I’ve started to smoke cigars in daily basis and to be honest I can’t pick half of the flavors some of the guys  can. 

like someone wrote they can taste  “French fries”  and I’m like in a cigar? Filled with tobacco? Really ? 

oh and my fav was from a website that reviewed one of the nc cigars “ I can taste Manure...in a good way” obviously I never tried that cigar and never will 

Can’t help you there buddy, beyond the basic choc/coffee/cedar/vanilla/etc/roasted nuts/etc flavors I’m useless and not sure I’ll develop with time.

cheers 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SmokyFontaine said:

I'm usually blessed with a palette that detects flavors ranging from "smoky tobacco" all the way to "charred tobacco". I kid...a little, but trying to detect mild flavors is a work in progress for me.

Having said that, I got hints of...frankincense in a couple year old Bolivar BF tonight. It wasn't for more than a couple puffs, but it was full on, crystallized, burn in an incense pot frankincense. It was actually really pleasant. This whole cigar has been. Probably the best BBF I've had. 

What's one of the strangest flavors you've picked up, that you still found to be a nice addition?

The more you become familiar with essential oils, the more that you will find them in cigars. Sandalwood, albeit not all that often is one sometimes mentioned here.

I often taste gasoline in cigars. I have never hear another use the flavor however.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PigFish said:

The more you become familiar with essential oils, the more that you will find them in cigars. Sandalwood, albeit not all that often is one sometimes mentioned here.

I often taste gasoline in cigars. I have never hear another use the flavor however.

I've smoked immature cohiba genios that tasted like gasoline start to finish. Can't for the life of me justify smoking the whole thing... I gave away the rest of the box to my dad, who loves them ?‍♂️

Also, without prior comment from me on the flavor, I gave a puff to a friend to ask what it tasted like to her. "EW! GASOLINE! I don't want any more of that. Gross." It wasn't just me.

7 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

When I do tasting notes, its more 'this reminds me of' than 'this tastes just like'. 

I do this, as well, as an emulation of the “professional” cigar reviewers, as this is they’re method, at least the ones that employ a more fantastical approach. Sensations on the tongue and flavors in the sinuses trigger nostalgia. 

For me I get Uni-like notes from time to time. A bit fishy, salty and creamy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chef said:

I do this, as well, as an emulation of the “professional” cigar reviewers, as this is they’re method, at least the ones that employ a more fantastical approach. Sensations on the tongue and flavors in the sinuses trigger nostalgia. 

Totally. I get that it comes off as pretentious to some, but the creative writing exercise of trying to describe exactly what's going helps me enjoy the cigar more. I do notes for almost every review contest, even if I don't bother submitting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chuckpnoy said:

I smoked a Sig IV back in August and for a few puffs I tasted bubble gum.  I mean it was in your face bubblegum.  The flavor was so prominent.  Then it went away.  Never had that taste before or since.

I had that happen on OR Trini T from 09. It was like smoking Bazooka Joe Bubble Gum.

Been smoking cigars for 30 years and can't detect any flavors.  Also applies to red wine.  I read once where approximately 30 % of the population's taste buds are not defined enough to detect flavors in food, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SmokyFontaine said:

I'm usually blessed with a palate that detects flavors ranging from "smoky tobacco" all the way to "charred tobacco". I kid...a little, but trying to detect mild flavors is a work in progress for me.

You should add all of your finds to this thread. 

https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/135037-which-great-foh-has-unlocked-a-flavour-profile-for-you/?tab=comments#comment-858868

Flavour picks are only strange until, you put it out there and  5 or 6 FOH chip in and say "holy crap..!!! now you say it yes!  totally!!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

Haha, glad you took it as humorous as it was meant ?

Pallet. Palette. Palate.

One holds cargo. One holds paint. One translates sensation. Screw the english language. Too many homophones. And people still often type "pallette" - which does none of the above. The only job of a "pallette" is to confuse a reader.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Screw the english language.

No! get back in your box!

The English language is wonderful, to increase its simplicity, is to increase the poverty of language.   I do not hate America, but I do hate your every increasing desire to,  (for some unknown reason)  sand off the edges off our language. 

If you hate English so much.............get your own god damn language!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tim Fleming said:

Been smoking cigars for 30 years and can't detect any flavors.  Also applies to red wine.  I read once where approximately 30 % of the population's taste buds are not defined enough to detect flavors in food, etc.

not trying to be funny here but if you cannot detect any flavours, why do you smoke? 

6 hours ago, 99call said:

No! get back in your box!

The English language is wonderful, to increase its simplicity, is to increase the poverty of language.   I do not hate America, but I do hate your every increasing desire to,  (for some unknown reason)  sand off the edges off our language. 

If you hate English so much.............get your own god damn language!

??

The english language is such a malcontented, self-confused, mutant bastard stepchild of so many forebears, it's as if matisse made a painting, and a sculpture, and a poem - in one piece of work, using anything he found lying around in a scrapyard. There's beauty in it, to be certain, but it's a godawful gaudy mess, on the balance.

I've spent the better part of my life availing myself of the myriad different ways it can be used as a toy and a tool. One mightn't earn the moniker of silver-tongued lothario, be they not a cunning linguist. I'm not blanketly besmirching the tongue. You've got to admit that it is the language of bad intentions, though.

Rules are established, only to be broken - but only in certain scenarios. Some root declensions are honored, others patently disregarded. The word "lisp" has an ***S*** in it. The rules are intentionally convoluted so that the laity may never grok it, and the highborn may use it as a tool of confusion and oppression. 

My father was regarded among his fellow career linguists as "obsessed". He wished for me to surpass him in mastery and comprehension of everything 'the english language', past, present, and future. I was brought up with only "The King's English" permitted in the home - unless he broke the rule first (embracing the meta narrative of: rules are for peasants). I was forced into (and winning) spelling bees when I was 4. I was forced to play deviously complex word games, and punished when I would lose. I digress.

I've had the gospel of the king's english beaten into me enough to form a well educated opinion that english is a 'expletive deleted' language, I dare say. I take umbrage at the assertion that I'm merely attempting to break a beautiful stallion.

I do bite my thumb.

(Edit: this is as close to the common parlance as I'd've been permitted to dare speak in the home as a child. I got beat up A LOT as a kid. I chose to depart from the lingua franca in this diatribe merely to elucidate the foundation of my assertions that english is 'expletive deleted'. In case you've noticed, I don't normally speak this way - and no, I'm not just breaking out the thesaurus)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

not trying to be funny here but if you cannot detect any flavours, why do you smoke? 

Because he enjoys it, Ken. Same reason as the rest of us. I know you're not intentionally gatekeeping, but the notion that only those with a refined palate, who can note "hints of cardamom" can enjoy a cigar is utter rubbish.

It's pure hedonism. There are no rules. Pleasure recognizes no structural edicts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Because he enjoys it, Ken. Same reason as the rest of us. I know you're not intentionally gatekeeping, but the notion that only those with a refined palate, who can note "hints of cardamom" can enjoy a cigar is utter rubbish.

It's pure hedonism. There are no rules. Pleasure recognizes no structural edicts.

no, you completely miss the point if you think this is about refined palates. that is not what i said at all.

i have no doubt that any level of "palate" can enjoy cigars, wines, flavours as much as another (to slightly digress, a good mate of mine who is a highly regarded international wine writer tells the story of how he was introduced to wine by his uncle. even as a beginner, he knew that the wine his uncle served him every visit, which he made himself, was severely faulty, but the uncle loved it. he thoroughly enjoyed drinking wine even though he clearly had a useless palate, if we are looking for refined or any level, for that matter). if only refined palates enjoyed cigars or wines etc, then there is no point in beginners bothering unless they hope things will change at some stage. 

our friend above has said that he does get anything. can't detect any flavours. that is completely different. if you do not get anything, i don't follow where the enjoyment comes from. our friend has mentioned red wine as well. if you get no flavour from it, then basically it is tasteless alcohol, or am i missing something. 

• Like 2