Beat THIS ONE Palate Snobs

15 hours ago, Bijan said:

I think it's association with the smell/aroma of those things. Same as wood/cedar/leather flavours which we hear all the time, without ever having chewed oak or leather.

Back when I was in little league I always chewed the leather string on my glove while hanging out in right field awaiting the rare ball to come my way.

Smoking a Los Statos Deluxe Selectos (67-72) today it started out with that distinctive Uni flavor (I've eaten a lot of Sushi) and drifted to ball glove halfway in!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The more you become familiar with essential oils, the more that you will find them in cigars. Sandalwood, albeit not all that often is one sometimes mentioned here. I often taste gasoline in ciga

?? The english language is such a malcontented, self-confused, mutant bastard stepchild of so many forebears, it's as if matisse made a painting, and a sculpture, and a poem - in one piece of wor

As a newbie to CC, I find it easy to distinguish between marcas (sourdough, spice in Partagas; shortbread in HU, lemon hay in Cohiba) even though I don’t have a refined palate and have never been able to pull the flavors the more experienced members mention.  I like El Prez’s suggestion about taking notes - would probably help.

I’ll risk the double entendres but as children we often find all sorts of things end up in our mouths.  Mike’s reference to a baseball mit string is perfect example of that, as I too played ball and know exactly what he’s talking about.  Don’t know why, but I remember making models with basalm wood as a kid, and will admit I remember chewing down on the soft wood, perhaps it was a sign of my future oral fixation.  I can still remember the clean papery wood taste, and have found that flavor in many examples of cigars.  Chewing on wood pencils in school, and to this day after I finish my sushi, it’s not uncommon to chew on my chopsticks.  I think wood flavors are very distinguishable, and are found throughout all CC.  It’s all about a reference ones mind can resolve.  Same with wine, I don’t eat a lot of gravel or graphite, or forest floor, yet those flavors make perfect sense to me when I’m drinking different Bordeaux.  It’s more about the connection an individual makes, and if someone’s words are different than others, that’s perfectly ok.  

• Like 2

The odd thing is I can taste sweet, salty (rare), umami (savoury) and bitter (generally not a good sign) in different cigars in different amounts. But I don't think I've ever smoked anything sour, always something like a hint of citrus at most. I wonder if it's related to the basic PH of cigar smoke.
And yes many more flavours than those 5 taste bud sensors would suggest. Mint, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, wood, etc.

Funny you should say that I smoked an Opus X bellicoso over the weekend and it had a really strong sour taste to it. Particularly an after taste on my tongue. Maybe my taste buds were messed up as this was the first time I ever left a cigar thinking this is super sour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

One fine day this past summer, I was smoking a RA Superiores (ETP Feb 16, from El Prez). It was a very good example of the cigar, but not particularly notable. As I was enjoying the typical RA profile, out of nowhere I was hit with grape bubblegum. First time I’d experienced something like that, but unmistakable. It arrived early in the second third and I thought it would be fleeting, but it actually stuck around almost until the cigar was finished. Very pleasant, and didn’t clash with the usual flavor profile at all - very memorable!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dt2 said:

One fine day this past summer, I was smoking a RA Superiores (ETP Feb 16, from El Prez). It was a very good example of the cigar, but not particularly notable. As I was enjoying the typical RA profile, out of nowhere I was hit with grape bubblegum. First time I’d experienced something like that, but unmistakable. It arrived early in the second third and I thought it would be fleeting, but it actually stuck around almost until the cigar was finished. Very pleasant, and didn’t clash with the usual flavor profile at all - very memorable!

I've experienced that, too (not with the Superiores, but with a RAG)!