Price per gram by Marca and Vitola

36 minutes ago, BTWheezy said:

@NSXCIGAR - has the thought of density crossed your radar?  An understanding of mass/volume might shed some light on overfilled (aka plugged) cigars, wouldn’t it?  Zeroing in on a specific density range could potentially shed light on the subjective quality of draw.  Granted, one would need this data over time, but still interesting and helpful for many. 

Well, density and mass varies and mass is based on standardized calculations and/or ideal mass. Yes, underfilled cigars smoke faster than overfilled cigars but we're assuming all things equal. 

16 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Well, density and mass varies and mass is based on standardized calculations and/or ideal mass. Yes, underfilled cigars smoke faster than overfilled cigars but we're assuming all things equal. 

I’m not real good at math, so apologies if my thinking is off. ?

If density = mass/volume, and a vitola has a generally accepted volume (and generally accepted target mass?) then you’d be providing a baseline density?  Your data, combined with people weighing their own cigars on a case by case basis would allow for density variations, and therefore potentially insights into the overfill/under fill/draw discussion.  Quantifying a subjective topic...you could be providing a great service to many!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BTWheezy said:

If density = mass/volume, and a vitola has a generally accepted volume (and generally accepted target mass?) then you’d be providing a baseline density?  Your data, combined with people weighing their own cigars on a case by case basis would allow for density variations, and therefore potentially insights into the overfill/under fill/draw discussion.  Quantifying a subjective topic...you could be providing a great service to many!

I was a little unclear. The published mass figures are standardized. That is what the mass of the cigar should be. Not sure how they come up with it (I'm sure it's some kind of average number.) 

We can't assume variations since no cigar is identical. We have to use math and not experience. So in real life an underfilled PLMC could smoke faster than an overfilled PLPC but not on paper. So we assume equal density, mass, rH and smoking technique. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BTWheezy said:

Just ran the numbers culebras and half coronas were the least dense. Double coronas (prominentes) and minutos were the most dense.

Edit: Of the cigars I have, not all vitolas that exist.

Edit 2: Minutos about 20% more dense than half coronas. Don't know if that just means minutos official weight is too heavy and half coronas official weight is too low.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:25 PM, philipl said:

At the end of the day it's definitely overthinking things, but it's fun to overthink things sometimes

Smoking a cigar is a good time to overthink anything. 

11 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I was a little unclear. The published mass figures are standardized. That is what the mass of the cigar should be. Not sure how they come up with it (I'm sure it's some kind of average number.) 

We can't assume variations since no cigar is identical. We have to use math and not experience. So in real life an underfilled PLMC could smoke faster than an overfilled PLPC but not on paper. So we assume equal density, mass, rH and smoking technique. 

Yep, gotcha. I guess I was seeing if you could provide those baseline density values, and a person could compare an individual, discrete experience with that baseline data. Like, if you’ve got a f*#%ing soggy RASS, and you’re really firing away on it, and you could compare the experience with like a 60% rH Esmerelda or Siglo VI that you’re taking your time with...and then we could compare the target density with actual density...along with conditions, attitude, timeframe, etc.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mprach024 said:

(Mass x circumference) / (pie x length) = wgaf

does it taste good?  Can I afford it?  All I need to know but to each his own.

Not quite the right formula. But probably the right sentiment :)

Density = mass / volume

Volume = pi * r^2 * length

I never bothered to calculate it before. I just calculate the weights because it's fun to know how many pounds of cigars I have ??

• Haha 2

On 11/3/2020 at 12:25 AM, philipl said:

I've been doing this, out of my own curiosity, based on approximate volume since it's an easier metric to figure out at scale than weight. With many vitolas differing from each other in flavor profile in varying ways, it ends up not being a primary factor in determining which ones I'll buy, but it's interesting to compare $/in^3 and run through the mental exercise of if certain vitolas are worth the premium.

For example, Cohiba Lanceros, Siglo VI, and Secretos net out at about the same $/in^3, and at about 50% more than the Robusto.

$/in^3 is also dependent on how close to your fingers you're willing to smoke, which can skew the value towards thinner ring gauges and longer lengths. Tossing a Siglo VI with an inch remaining is 87% more volume of tobacco thrown away than tossing a Lancero with an inch remaining. Smoking a HUHC down from 1in left to 0.5in left gives you 20% more cigar, but doing the same with a Sir Winston is only 8% more cigar.

At the end of the day it's definitely overthinking things, but it's fun to overthink things sometimes.

TBH you can set what is your avarage nub length. Then substract that from the length of cigar, then do the rest

Something tells me I will spend the weekend with a spreadsheet

5 hours ago, medzikone said:

TBH you can set what is your avarage nub length. Then substract that from the length of cigar, then do the rest

Something tells me I will spend the weekend with a spreadsheet

That's what I've done but it's definitely more subjective. Some people refuse to smoke past the band as a general rule; I have a box of toothpicks for when a cigar is so good I can't put it down.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

That's what I've done but it's definitely more subjective. Some people refuse to smoke past the band as a general rule; I have a box of toothpicks for when a cigar is so good I can't put it down.

I just screw in my perfecdraw and will hit it like a one hitter