Cuba raises state prices for cigars by 20%?

Air service between Russia and Cuba has been resumed since November. Our friends have flown to the island and are sending unpleasant news from there. One of the Directors of LCDH said that the government has ordered to raise prices by 20%. I understand that this may be trick for warming up the buyers.

On the other hand, we all understand the plight of Cuba due to COVID and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true...

Who else has news from the island?

• Thanks 3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was wrong.  A Gaceta Oficial was published  YESTERDAY.   FINANZAS Y PRECIOS GOC-2020-689-O77 RESOLUCIÓN NO. 258/2020 I have put the new price list into a Google Sheet.  SEE IT HERE. R

Air service between Russia and Cuba has been resumed since November. Our friends have flown to the island and are sending unpleasant news from there. One of the Directors of LCDH said that the governm

Maybe possible in airlines from countries with corrupt customs officials. Generally crewmembers have a smaller allowance than passengers as they constantly fly in & out. In my 35 yr airl

Prices have already been going up. Demand on 24:24 doesn't seem to have gone down. If anything, they will be seen as a more premium product and demand will increase. This will increase pricing until there is a breaking point and the value prop doesn't hold.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, nKostyan said:

One of the Directors of LCDH said that the government has ordered to raise prices by 20%. I understand that this may be trick for warming up the buyers.

On the other hand, we all understand the plight of Cuba due to COVID and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true...

Who else has news from the island?

Hmmm, I was messaging with one of my Cuban friends in the cigar industry today, and was told that the LCDH/Cigar store at one of the most known HAV factories was being converted into a MLC* only store.

Now, that will not hurt us foreigners as we have been paying in CUC/US$ so far - but it will make buying impossible for Cubans without access to MLC ( and many locals would buy cigarettes, coffee etc from these stores.)

I am quite sure you may be correct in predicting a price increase.

*MLC = Freely Convertible Currency

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, chris12381 said:

I was wrong.  A Gaceta Oficial was published  YESTERDAY.  

Well, it looks like that's indeed an increase. HU Noellas up over 60%, Siglo VI up 50%. In fact all the Cohiba seems to be at or above worldwide price. RA Superiores up to $67 (20%)... some of these other prices are just way higher than they should be. Some haven't changed: HUSW, Fundys, LGC MdO4 and others.

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Well, it looks like that's indeed an increase. HU Noellas up over 60%, Siglo VI up 50%. In fact all the Cohiba seems to be at or above worldwide price. RA Superiores up to $67 (20%)... some of these other prices are just way higher than they should be. Some haven't changed: HUSW, Fundys, LGC MdO4 and others.

Check again.  HUSW is up 20%, Fundy up 55%

No CORO in 25 box?  Looks like this list isn't complete.  Guess you have to do the math on that one (15 box)

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

Check again.  HUSW is up 20%, Fundy up 55%

SW are up 10%. Fundys up by only $10/box or ~3.5%

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

No CORO in 25 box?  Looks like this list isn't complete.  Guess you have to do the math on that one (15 box)

Missing, but they're $19.85/stick. $496.25 box. Idiotic price. Rob's way cheaper.

• Confused 1

This is a very strange/confusing list, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Cuba.  Some of these prices are up there with 24 clearance pricing. Looks like it would only be worth buying ELs on the island now.