Have a crack at answering this one for me. "10 boxes for 10 years"

Part of an email I received yesterday. 

Would you like to give it a crack on your thoughts? I will reply with a link to this thread. 

" I know I am late to the game of Cuban cigars but I am in my 20s and have time and patience. Can you recommend me 10 boxes of cigars that are gilt edged ageing certainties? I wouldn't even start smoking them until 2030. Can you diversify the selection so that there are at least some petiti corona, corona gorda, a "skinny" or two and torpedos. I am happy to experiment."

• Like 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, Youth.  Bulletproof and invisible.  Tell him to buy them and smoke the MF’ers.  NO ONE IS PROMISED TOMORROW.  He can save for his retirement, but his widow will just spend it with her

Partagas Lusitanias 13 PLPC 13 Montecristo No 2 11 Trinidad Fundadores 11 Boliva

HdM Petit Robustos HdM DCs JL1s D4s Connie As Party Shorts Trinidad MLs Upmann/Monte/Partagas No 2 BBF Trinidad Fundadores   Honorable mention to

42 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

PLPC

Party Shorts

CoRo

Trini Fundadores

Monty Especiales No.2

HdM DC

Cohiba Esplendidos

Punch DC

Party 898

Monte No.2

I’m pretty darn close to this list.  I’d probably sub out the Esplendidos for Lanceros.  Or Monte especial.  But basically yup

Partagas Lusitania 

Bolivar Belicosos Finos

RASS

CORO

Upmann Connie A

Mag 46

Ryj Churchill

Lusitania

Bcj

Party E2

Plpc

Siglo 6

Monte 2

Bbf

Bolovar Libertadores???? (I have a box at the 7 year mark, and they are absolutely blow your socks off amazing. Although I don't know if they'll last 10 years, as strength is dying off. 

Bolivar petit Corona

Bolivar Royal Corona

R&J Churchill

Punch Doubles

Anything from QdO

Tell him to cut it to 8 boxes to age, the ninth go for "not so ideal to age CC" and last one is Padron, which is not that good when aged to long,

he will regret starting to smoke so late.

Cohiba IV ,  VI, 

Coro

Esplendidos

Lanceros

Punch DC

RyJ Cazadores

Partagas 898

Bolivar BBF

Partagas P2

• Like 1

Upmann Sir Winston 

Trinidad La Trova

RyJ Churchill

Cohiba Pyramides Extra

Ramon Allones Gigantes

Partagas E2

Juan Lopez 2

Montecristo No 2

Hoyo San Juan

Punch Punch

1 hour ago, Wailbait said:

I’m pretty darn close to this list.  I’d probably sub out the Esplendidos for Lanceros.  Or Monte especial.  But basically yup

I was tossing up between the 2, but went with Esplendidos due to sentimentality (was my first cigar ever smoked). Honestly, you couldn't go wrong with either one.

• Like 1

All Cohiba Linea Clasica (5)

HUSW

Punch DC

Lusi

Monte Especiales

PLPC

23 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

HdM Petit Robustos

I like this pick. I haven't heard of any opinions on these with serious age. They've been around for 15 years--what's the deal? 

• Like 2

For currently produced cigars

Cohiba Corona Especiales
Cohiba Esplendidos
Cohiba Lancero
Cohiba Robusto
Fonseca No. 1
Montecristo Especial No. 1
Punch Double Corona
H. Upmann Connoisseur No.1
H. Upmann No. 2
H. Upmann Sir Winston

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I like this pick. I haven't heard of any opinions on these with serious age. They've been around for 15 years--what's the deal? 

I threw it out there because of the question posed. A diverse selection, was the task. I see lists up here with 3 Double Coronas... I get it, some guys like long cigars, but this kid is asking for an array of cigars that are all different. Just like guys suggesting LGC MdO's... Great skinny guys. Where's this kid supposed to find those? Oh yeah, nowhere unless he's ready to pay a mint. I didn't think PLMC's would make for a great aged skinny so I went lancero. 

As for the HdM PRs... They smoke great young. I get a ton of sugar cane juice. I'd love to see where that goes with age. Sweeter? Flat? These are readily available. I think the toughest ask from my list are the fundadores, due to pricing and general availability. But they're out there if you wanna commit to a box.

• Like 1

This kid has the patience of a saint. I’m 36, relatively new to Cubans, and have trouble waiting the 30 day resting period. If his life is anything like mine, he’ll be at the point of his life in 10 years where he’s going through murderers row of engagement ring, wedding, house, and baby (I did this 28-34 by the time I had both kids). If this is the case chances are the boxes get sold to pay for that stuff. Maybe he gets to keep one box to smoke wedding night, baby’s birth, and closing on the house milestones. So maybe we should tell him good investment boxes and one special box to age for himself?