H. Upmann connoisseur no 2

I'm still in the beginning stages of exploring CCs, but I'm curious if anyone more knowledgeable than I has insight on this: is there any common thread through the different "lines" of H. Upmann other than the names? With the regular production cigars, there are:

1. Connoisseur No. 1, A, B, and now No. 2
  2. Magnum 46, 50, 54
  3. Everything else: Sir Winston, Half Corona, Upmann No. 2 (should this be it's own "line"?)

From all the reviews and tasting notes I've read, there doesn't seem to be anything more consistent within these groupings than across them. Is there something more to these names than basic marketing? Is there something intended with these lines, even if it's failed in execution?

Update (Nov. 6, 2020) — A representative from Habanos S.A. confirmed to halfwheel that the correct spelling for the company’s purposes is Connossieur. The article has been updated accordingly.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I would say there is a good degree of shared characteristics within the Connie line. The core of that line is a distinctive "shortbread" flavor with some baking spices. When "on" I believe the Connie A to be the best. 

The Magnum line is all different. I don't believe there are two that share any core characteristics. 

The others (No. 2, HC etc.) show mostly various characteristics of the Magnums although the shortbread can squeak in to the HC.

The SW is unique to the marca in that it seems to miraculously combine all the best characteristics of the brand into one cigar. It's the epitome of a flagship cigar. Always a special cigar and no doubt one of Cuba's best.

Amazingly helpful! I’ve picked up a box each of the Connie A, Magnum 46, and the HC as my initial forays into H. Upmann, and am on the lookout for Sir Winstons given their near universal praise. The 24:24 descriptions for the other Magnums have been hard to resist but I’ve convinced myself to at least give my boxes a couple months rest and trying a few before splurging on more. 

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Amazingly helpful! I’ve picked up a box each of the Connie A, Magnum 46, and the HC as my initial forays into H. Upmann, and am on the lookout for Sir Winstons given their near universal praise. The 24:24 descriptions for the other Magnums have been hard to resist but I’ve convinced myself to at least give my boxes a couple months rest and trying a few before splurging on more. 

I’ve got more Upmann vitolas than any other marca, they are wonderful.  Sir Winstons stand alone, after that it’s a tight race between the Connie A and a good Mag 50.  Mag 46 are in my weekly rotation.  Strangely, the PC/HC size is the only place where Upmann has not earned a place in my humidor.  

• Like 2

So I just cracked open this box of GEM MAR 20 Connie 1 and now the ribbon and box are both correct? 

Now, the boxes are all stamped at the same place. 1, A & B. And they just built a brand new facility for box production a few years ago? What in the actual hell is going on with the spelling of this? 

rsz-1pxl-20201113-052248989.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

So I just cracked open this box of GEM MAR 20 Connie 1 and now the ribbon and box are both correct? 

Now, the boxes are all stamped at the same place. 1, A & B. And they just built a brand new facility for box production a few years ago? What in the actual hell is going on with the spelling of this? 

rsz-1pxl-20201113-052248989.jpg

Connie one is spelled right it is the A and B that are bonkers!

https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand/h-upmann#connoisseur-no1

Edit: And the connie 2 will be the bonkers spelling too.

On 11/7/2020 at 12:01 PM, mprach024 said:

Strangely, the PC/HC size is the only place where Upmann has not earned a place in my humidor.  

There are 6 in total.

I don't generally get tubos so the Coronas Major and Minor are out for me.

Of the rest the half coronas I've found to be the best (same format as Monte Media Corona). Then Epicures. Then Majestics. And Regalias last. Haven't had the last two in several years.

Edit: Of the ones besides half coronas, I'd guess the tubos should be higher quality as they were handmade pre 2002 (though there were two sizes of coronas major one handmade and one machine made, and the current one is neither of those sizes).

9 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I don't generally get tubos so the Coronas Major and Minor are out for me.

I can't stand the Tubos. I pick up a box of Coronas Major for a buddy every few weeks since he loves them. I try one every few months and they just scream low-quality leaf. Same with the Punch Coronations, Hoyo Coronations and Partagas Coronas Senior/Junior/De Luxe. Duty free garbage to me.

I find the Majestics to be a big step up but not nearly as good as the PCs were. And I've never had any luck with the Regalias or Epicures. 

I will say one of the best cheap tubos--maybe the best--is Quintero Tubulares. Very under the radar, but one of the best cheap & cheerfuls out there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I can't stand the Tubos. I pick up a box of Coronas Major for a buddy every few weeks since he loves them. I try one every few months and they just scream low-quality leaf. Same with the Punch Coronations, Hoyo Coronations and Partagas Coronas Senior/Junior/De Luxe. Duty free garbage to me.

Good to know. Only tubos I've had were RyJ 1, 2, 3 but they're pretty clear in what they are in terms of cheapness. Haven't had one in many years but from what I remember they are basically mille fleurs in a tube possibly slightly cheaper...

27 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Good to know. Only tubos I've had were RyJ 1, 2, 3 but they're pretty clear in what they are in terms of cheapness. Haven't had one in many years but from what I remember they are basically mille fleurs in a tube possibly slightly cheaper...

The RyJ Tubos are not nearly as bad. They're very smokeable, particularly the No. 1. Certainly on par with the Londres and Coronitas en Cedros. I think the Belvederes are the best but I've had some very good Sports Largos also. 

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

See above--the Connie 1 boxes used to show "Connossieur" while the ribbon showed "Connoisseur".

No, actually they never did it on purpose. That famous pic that you are referring to is a case of CbC.

My take being - they are actually meant to be different lines (irrespective of correct spelling or not, actually), the classic Connoisseur No.1 is set apart from the Connossieur A and B. And I feel this is also being reflected in the blends between 1 and A.

18 minutes ago, Fugu said:

No, actually they never did it on purpose. That famous pic that you are referring to is a case of CbC.

My take being - they are actually meant to be different lines (irrespective of correct spelling or not, actually), the classic Connoisseur No.1 is set apart from the Connossieur A and B. And I feel this is also being reflected in the blends between 1 and A.

Here's a second box of 1s with the same conflicting spelling:

H.-Upmann-Connoisseur-No.-1-SLB.jpg

So this was clearly rampant at some point. It may have been a limited error but I'd like to know when this started in relation to the Connie A in 2014. I could swear some of the early Connie A bands did show "Connoisseur" and not "Connossieur." Am I wrong about that?

And what about the Connie 2? Are we chalking it up to disregard the pre-production box with both spellings?

As far as the blends between 1 and A, I don't see that much difference in terms of core flavors. They are certainly closely related, as is the B. I've always believed they were all in the same immediate family.

I honestly think this was a typo that ran amok. By the time they caught it they just said screw it. Although it's hard to believe someone at Vrijdag didn't catch it and point it out...then again, maybe it was Vrijdag's error and they already ran off half a million bands and no one in Cuba caught it.

Differentiating lines by misspellings is just beyond comprehension, even for Cuba. 

10 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I find the Majestics to be a big step up but not nearly as good as the PCs were. And I've never had any luck with the Regalias or Epicures. 

I will say one of the best cheap tubos--maybe the best--is Quintero Tubulares. Very under the radar, but one of the best cheap & cheerfuls out there.

I love the HC.  Are the PC more similar to those or to the Connie 1, A?  I’d love to find a longer smoke with the HC flavor....thanks