H. Upmann connoisseur no 2

2 hours ago, vhampl03 said:

I love the HC.  Are the PC more similar to those or to the Connie 1, A?  I’d love to find a longer smoke with the HC flavor....thanks

Petit coronas taste most similar to the #2 pyramide. But the PC's are discontinued, so good luck finding a box. Those that have them are likely hoarding them and are not selling them. I certainly am keeping and savoring the boxes I have left.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I will say one of the best cheap tubos--maybe the best--is Quintero Tubulares. Very under the radar, but one of the best cheap & cheerfuls out there.

I have a friend that says the same. I'll have to give them a try. Always looking for a good tractor cigar. 

Big Al 

15 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I will say one of the best cheap tubos--maybe the best--is Quintero Tubulares. Very under the radar, but one of the best cheap & cheerfuls out there.

Good to hear. I've never had good luck with any of the short filler cigars. Except the machine made puritos, clubs and shorts.

4 hours ago, vhampl03 said:

I love the HC.  Are the PC more similar to those or to the Connie 1, A?  I’d love to find a longer smoke with the HC flavor....thanks

HC has a lot of love here. If I had to compare, believe it or not, I find the HC almost like a mini Mag 54. 

I prefer the Connies myself although the B is a bit light for me. 

On 11/13/2020 at 1:12 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Here's a second box of 1s with the same conflicting spelling:

Yup, sure, they are done in prod runs, there had also been the odd box of Connie 1 with that wrong spelling on the ribbon. But certainly a rather rare exception.

but I'd like to know when this started in relation to the Connie A in 2014. I could swear some of the early Connie A bands did show "Connoisseur" and not "Connossieur." Am I wrong about that?

Never seen. Got some early OR boxes from ‘13, band, ribbon, box - all “Connossieur”. Neither have I ever seen one with “correct” spelling in picture.

Differentiating lines by misspellings is just beyond comprehension, even for Cuba. 

That’s what I meant, identical spelling or not, not intended to be the same line. Why would one continue a “1” with an “A”? And not simply with a “2”? (like e.g. in the Party SdC line). To then add a “B” followed by a “2”. I mean, what the heck?! For me, the most logical explanation had been, that the 1 and the 2 are one, the A and the B are another “family”. In particular since the A has never been just a larger Connie 1 for me...

But obviously not correct! Looked up the old press release from HSA for the ConA and amongst the longer eulogy this comes up:

Connossieur is a historic Linea within the H.Upmann brand, whose most relevant size was the very much appreciated Connossieur No 1. This Linea is now updated with the new Connossieur A, a new trendy vitola that incorporates for the first time the new Connossieur exclusive ring which enhances the image of H.Upmann in the 21st Century.

So from this it appears pretty clear that it had been a misspelling made look like it were intentional.

Interestingly, MRN adopts the French spelling which actually had never been used.  ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fugu said:

Interestingly, MRN adopts the French spelling which actually had never been used.  ?

So Connie 1s should always have been "Connoisseur." So we're chalking the origin of "Connossieur" up to a random misspelling. But we have examples--possibly before 2013--of both the box and ribbon of Connie 1 being each right and wrong. How does that error carry over to multiple cigars, boxes and ribbons?

And now we have contradicting box and ribbon for the Connie 2! If it was an error they're running with make them uniform. I could understand those examples of Connie 1 above being from the same bad batch but the Connie 2 pops up with that same non-matching box and ribbon issue. 

So it very well may be that the only correct model is the 1 (new 2020 box is correct on both) but the 2, A and B incorrect, unless they use the ribbon spelling on the 2 going forward and the 1 & 2 will be correct and the A and B incorrect.

:help:

My opinion on all this is that Cubans speak Spanish, right and hence the English confusion in spelling "connoisseur". Oh well, "que sera, sera", as they say. (Or should it be like the Italian, "che sarà sarà"? ? ?)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

My opinion on all this is that Cubans speak Spanish, right and hence the English confusion in spelling "connoisseur". Oh well, "que sera, sera", as they say. (Or should it be like the Italian, "che sarà sarà"? ? ?)

I think so, too. The origin of the occasional slip has been a lingual one. In particular since the „i“ is silent (and the Spanish equivalent would be conocedor). In reproducing it onomatopoeic seems they now just made it their „own“. ?

But for me, the more relevant question still is, why have a 1 and 2 and a A and B ?!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fugu said:

But for me, the more relevant question still is, why have a 1 and 2 and a A and B ?!

Always wondered that lol.  Wish they’d mix up the sizes s bit more too.  How many different ways to do a Robusto or Robusto Extra.  Give me a Connie Sublime, Corona Gorda, or Lonsdale.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 1:52 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

I can't stand the Tubos. I pick up a box of Coronas Major for a buddy every few weeks since he loves them. I try one every few months and they just scream low-quality leaf. Same with the Punch Coronations, Hoyo Coronations and Partagas Coronas Senior/Junior/De Luxe. Duty free garbage to me.

I find the Majestics to be a big step up but not nearly as good as the PCs were. And I've never had any luck with the Regalias or Epicures. 

I will have to try the QT. Have a few boxes of aged Londres Extra that are very C&C